Thoughts on Coronavirus/Covid19

Great show Torsten! Congrats!

1 Like

Well done Torsten!! Really enjoyed the show Thanks for a nice evening, :grinning:

1 Like

Didn’t get a chance to catch it as I was dealing with an emergency plumbing issue. Is there a link to watch last nights show?

Use the link above. It is archived.

Our set isn’t available yet in the Uploads section - will probably be Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ll post an update when it is.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Yay - the recording is online!

5 Likes

Excellent show Torsten,
Looks like you guys had a lot of fun!

1 Like

I’ve had a quick skim through. Sounds very professional and polished.

1 Like

Good (and fun) show! Brings back lots of mid-60s memories. Was that the Velvet “A-200” on “What’d I Say?”

2 Likes

Very nice, Torsten (& band). Playing together with friends can’t be replaced with anything one could do with computers though they can help to make a better sound experience.

1 Like

Hmmm, my mid-60s memories are kind of vague (given I was born in 1965) :wink:

Used to be, but I’ve replaced it with the Acousticsamples VReeds. Feels more organic, with a bit more “muscle” than the Velvet Wurly.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

5 Likes

I’m seeing Dave_Dore’s avatar stuck between those 2 wolves. :rofl:

3 Likes

This one doesn’t know what year it is :grinning: She’s sweet until you knock at the door.

4 Likes

One of the few positives during Covid is old friends finding me. I recently received a few ancient recordings I was involved in. I was in several “horn” bands during High School and College. This particular band had several member changes during their short run, and I joined during their last year. I’ve not heard these recordings since we laid them down. I am playing trumpet. You can definitely hear the BS&T/Chicago influence.

This one was recorded at Isaac Hayes Hot Buttered Soul Studios in Memphis, TN in 1975:

This was recorded in 1974 at Jaggers Studio in Little Rock, AR:

4 Likes

Fun stuff! Reminds me of listening to the radio while painting houses to work my way thru college back in the mid '70’s!

I suppose my covid ‘silver lining’ is a lot of time with my family. I have kids in middle and high school and get to spend a lot of time with them during ‘distance learning’ from home plus wifey gets to work from home a lot these days. LOL, since I’m retired I wasn’t working anyway, so the only real difference is all the closures and of course the skewed threat of covid to disproportionately harm those who are older. For the young, the mortality numbers show its actually not much of a threat. But about 55 and up it starts becoming a real problem…over 92% of the mortality numbers come from this group.

1 Like

I was working on my Master during this time. We were touring mostly in the SE U.S. and it was very difficult to keep my studies up. It came to a point where I either had to quit school or stay on the road. Some of the members were in college, and could only gig on the weekends, thus the many personnel changes. They signed with a booking agent who would book them on weekdays, and one-nighters 500 miles apart on weekends. I couldn’t keep up with everything, so I quit, and concentrated on school. They split up shortly thereafter. It was fun, and the money was really good, but I made the right choice.

As far as Covid goes, I’ve limited outings. The many doctor visits, and prescription pickups are about all I have done. I soon will be 68, and I feel no need to risk infection, especially with the mortality numbers negatively affecting my age group.

1 Like

Ooh, can’t wait to hear those. Will check out tonight.

1 Like

LOL, I’m less than 4 yrs behind you so I can definitely relate. That said, I did some research a few months back and generated this chart that is designed to provide a 200,000 foot view perspective. The raw counts are intimidating indeed for our crowd and up, but when viewed as percents of peers I can relax a bit more while still being diligent. Fortunately the kiddos are faring much better than the 2018 flu season stat wise. As you can see, my extrapolation is short, and probably is closer to the current numbers when cases are more correctly counted. Unfortunately economic incentives exist in the US for coding deaths as “covid involved” which results in inflated numbers. An accurate count is virtually impossible anyway since if someone had covid and pneumonia and passed, do you count it as covid? Or pneumonia? The doctor doesn’t really know. So the CDC convention is to count it as “covid related” and it gets lumped into the covid count. Likewise the same case also gets counted as “pneumonia related” and lumped into the pneumonia count. All to say one needs to understand the counting methods to better understand the numbers since a single case gets tallied under several categories. Meaning 150K covid plus 100K pneumonia does not mean 250K mortality, it may actually mean 160K mortality for example.

2 Likes

Really enjoyed those recordings Corky. Tight & grooving! :+1:

I can relate to you playing trumpet, as I played cornet in my high school band back then. Mind you, not very well, but was a blast!

One of my biggest joys back then, was playing our horns at a NHL game at Maple Leaf Gardens in Toronto with a couple high school band members. I remember blowing our brains out between stoppages in play getting the crowd ramped up. It was neat hearing 18,000+ clapping & shouting along with you. If I remember right, Toronto was playing the “broad street bullies” Philadelphia Flyers that night in 1974.

Sure beats the empty stadium covid times we have now.

1 Like