Thoughts on Coronavirus/Covid19

Interesting :thinking:

Of course the thing to remember is that those numbers are with social distancing, masks, closures, etc. The raw counts could easily be double or triple without the mitigation measures, but the peer percentages would still remain quite small. That said, older people (of which I’m one of) definitely don’t want to catch this thing.

2 Likes

Thanks Dave! It was a good time for large bands. We were paid very well then, unlike the past 10 years. The Musicians Union kept venues in line, and we always received our money timely through our agent.

1 Like

Those are great! I really like the first one; actually reminds me more maybe of Ides of March. I’d kill to be in a big horn band now. That would make life good again.

1 Like

Since Covid started, I began playing Trumpet, Drums, and Trombone again. I also had to sharpen my Sax, Harmonica, and guitar playing, as they were failing. My Bass skills are good, but my Keyboard playing, and vocals have suffered most. It was shocking when I sat down at the keys again after the 1st 3 months of nothing. I don’t think I want to be in a horn section again, but playing keys, bass, or guitar in a big band would be fun.

We were very influenced by BS&T, Chicago, Ides of March, all the soul stuff, AND Chase. Bill Chase gave a seminar at my University before a concert. They were amazing…loved this guy. I also admired Jim Fielder, Bobby Colomby, and Lew Soloff in BS&T.

Chase

1 Like

Very nice music, Corky.
With this kind of music you can “hear” the enthusiasm that must have been involved when composing, arranging and playing the songs.

2 Likes

@Corky, Very diverse and interesting musical background you’ve had. Lots to be proud of!

I’m definitely not as musically gifted. Although, where your struggling on keys at the moment, that’s my forte. I studied classical piano in my youthful days, and accomplished my Royal Conservatory grade VIII. That gave me a solid basis for playing keyboards in general. I taught piano for several years, and played keys in amateur bands, but never went professional. I had to make a hard financial decision when I got married and raising a family in my 20’s. I worried that if I become professional, I would become a starving musician. I often wonder if I took that path.

Anyway, here I am in retirement, financially stable from a career in electronics. Plus add some health issues, doctors appointments, you know. But one thing we all have in common here is our love of music. Thank heavens, and covid be-damned.

Hi Corky,

Just listened to the one recorded at Isaac Haye’s studio. I would have bought that. Who is the bass player?

Doug

@Dave_C

Hi Dave. Thanks for the kind words. I was self taught on Trumpet in the 7th grade. By the 8th grade I was arranging music pieces for the school band. It just came naturally. I started learning other instruments that I could get access to. I borrowed a guitar at 14, asked how to tune it, and figured out the chords, and to this day, I finger chords much differently than others. I also studied others playing piano and organ, and forced myself to emulate them. By the time I started college, I was way ahead of the “instructors” who tried to change my embouchure and piano playing. I was a rebel, and they soon found out I wasn’t giving in to their BS. So, even though I played classical music in school orchestra, and recitals, I can’t claim to be classically trained, and sometimes wish I had studied as you did. It would have made me a much better player.

I got a taste of the road life, but like you, I felt the need to live a more stable life. I retired a Civil Service employee, and a retired teacher. I am so glad I chose the life I did, because I am not struggling in retirement, yet I have been able to perform throughout my careers. Many professional musicians I know have been struggling for years, but are in trouble now. I support them whenever I can. Yeah…covid be damned!

1 Like

Thanks Doug. Pretty sure it was “Meatloaf” (long before the other Meatloaf). Bill Loftus, was his name, but there were many member changes during that time, so I am not 100% sure. Bill was a great Bassist, as were the others. 45 years have passed since then…barely remember anything about the recordings. There is a live recording somewhere online, but I heard it once and haven’t been able to find it again.

I remember that Chase album! It was popular among the big band-heads in my school show band.

1 Like

More good stuff coming out during lockdowns:

I’ve been a fan of Martin Miller for some time now. They went a different direction this time. For all you 80s fans…

AC/DC new album with original Bassist and Drummer.

New McCartney out Dec. 11th. He played all the instruments…again!

2 Likes

Felix Lehrmann is one my favorite drummers.

1 Like

I got my 1st Pfizer vaccine shot yesterday. All is ok so far. Just a sore arm and headache (minor side affects). Hopefully the beginning of getting back to some state of normalcy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Vaccines are slow rolling out in Canada, but things should be ramping up as we have 3 approved now. Pfizer, Moderna, & AstraZeneca.

1 Like

Still waiting as a (healthy-ish) 50 something for my first jab, but I think it will be next month. Hopefully we then start getting back to normal. The virus is endemic - has been for ages - and we need to learn to live with it.

I don’t agree with a lot of the how the UK has dealt with this (appreciate that opinions will vary on that and it is a very emotive subject) but the one thing they have really gotten right is the vaccine strategy.

1 Like

That’s great Dave. I was planning to get mine soon, as my age group finally opened up. BUT, living in Memphis has proven just how F’d-up things can be. As of today, over 2700 doses were stolen, the TBI and FBI are investigating. The county Health Dept. Supervisor has resigned, and the state Health Dept has taken over. AND of all things, two children were vaccinated in the process. It is very possible several hundred people were given expired vaccine.
So, I am somewhat hesitant to rush the process. Geez!!

Corky, This vaccination rollout is unfortunate where your living.
I understand your hesitancy.
Hope the State resolves the distribution system quickly.

1 Like

Believe it or not, the State Health Dept. took over a few days ago, and started making appointments, and set up permanent sites. Now, you have appointment windows, and without an appointment you are turned away, unlike before. There are no more rolling sites, and the vaccines are administered by State guidelines, instead of who comes first, and your skin color(totally ridiculous). I have a feeling there will be some upcoming indictments.
Anyway, I get my first dose Tuesday. I feel more comfortable about it now. The State Health Dept. is doing a stellar job.

2 Likes

Fair play, the UK is sticking mostly to age as a priority as risk greatly increases with age. So I have not minded waiting my turn. And it was a huge sigh of relief when my 79 year old mum (with a few health issues) was jabbed last month. Hopefully I’ll get to see her soon once me and the missus have been jabbed as well.

And then we have to get back to as normal as possible, and start recovering a wrecked economy; as I do not want to lay excessive debt on my daughter’s generation and her children to come as well.

2 Likes

I so agree Derek. I got out for a few minutes today, and was shocked to see so many businesses closed down for good. If we don’t get things moving, we will be dependant on only Amazon and WalMart, and you know their prices will eventually jump up with no competition. Really sad for our great grandkids. They will be suffering our failures.

4 Likes