Building a new rig -- RAM thoughts

My son bought me an Arturia Mini Lab, which, at the time, included Analog Lab. It is not a full blown version of the V Collection, but it has a lot of presets that will cover most anything I need. So, if you don’t want to dish out $500, and don’t plan to do some excessive programming, and need to keep resources low, it sells for $149, and you can demo it as well. Included:

* Updated with sounds from the V Collection 6
* Over 6500 sounds from some of the best sound designers in the industry
* Presets are carefully selected from our V Collection 6 (ARP 2600 V, B-3 V, CS-80 V, Farfisa V, Jup-8 V, Matrix-12 V, Mini V, Modular V, Prophet V, Prophet VS, SEM V, Solina V, Stage-73 V, Synclavier V, Piano V2, Vox Continental V, Wurli V, Buchla Easel V, Clavinet V, DX7 V and CMI V)

It’s really all I need, but M1 and Xpand! still fill out many other sounds.
IMHO the Piano, and B3 sucks, and the Wurli and Stage-73 are…ok. Everything else is pretty good.

2 Likes

Did you see this?

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/specials/komplete/arturia-offer-2018/?uuh=940ac54a2af5556309e2da6d4b8554de&mNl=1&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter&utm_campaign=Arturia+NKS+special+c%3DArturia+b%3DKomplete+t%3DSales_Special_PD+NEW+(de)&utm_content=owned

2 Likes

Very cool find Humphrey!

1 Like

I am literally teetering on buying this for $250. That is too good. Thanks humphrey!! I have 3 days to figure out a way to conceal it from my wife. “No…no…honey. Arturia is the new name of our utility provider.”

3 Likes

… I usually manage this by telling my wife all of the advantages of the product in deep detail. After 3 minutes I usually have a „go for it but shut up please!“…:wink:

3 Likes

I’ve been dealing w/ NI installs all night. Dunderhead I am, I installed the libraries in the wrong place.

Sigh …

Machine build starts tomorrow.

And I am only responsible to myself, but I wonder if myself is lying to me. :thinking: Although my bank account will nag the hell out of me.

Well…we managed to destroy another thread. I often wish we had a live feed here…it would really get crazy then.

Yes, the discussion has gone south, but according to the Hopi tribes, North is the direction of evil.

Speaking of evil. I am taking the money I have on hold for the Mixface by studiologic (which was supposed to come out August, then Sept, then Oct. now maybe Jan 2019 or who knows when) and I am buying the special Arturia suggested by humphrey.

Another great idea!

1 Like

The V collection is very good in places and awful in parts (B3 esp). But Arturia do have a reputation of getting there over several releases. The Mini, Prophet and Matrix 12 are my favourites.

And CPU load is good. I am messing about with a Cantabile song that has all of the sounds needed for Floyd’s “Welcome to the Machine” which is one instance of Mini for the lead and about 5 instances of Modular (Moog) for the effects (coming from a Floyd pack I purchased from the Artutia store). Overall Cantabile load of those six instances on my gig pc (Core i7 3.5GHz, 32G RAM, 512GB SSD) is about 25%.

1 Like

The good thing about download only soft synths, is that you have an easier job of sneaking them into the studio, compared to a bulky SY99 type behemoth… :wink: And I do the accounts! :grinning:

1 Like

Got the V collection, and have to say, holy crap! (won’t use bad language). Wow. The DX7, Matrix 12 was what I had as my mainstay in a funk band I was in. Did some Paula Abdul covers and the Matrix 12 was the go to. The Jupiter 8, as well (but I had a Juno 106). What a trip down memory lane, and they sound great. B3 sucks as did the piano, suitcase, but the Vox killed it, too. Too much more to talk about. Enough said. I am impressed! CPU load is negligible. Prefer the LL and NI Wurli and Mark I/II. But the V collection is amazing. Still need to dive more into it, but programming was a breeze, just like the original synths, I was able to immediately get the sounds I used to use in the DX7 and Matrix 12. Very happy. Mixface will have to wait.

Thanks for the heads up!

3 Likes

Not destroyed in the least. I enjoy the banter. :grinning:

1 Like

Believe it or not, I’m starting to use the Arturia piano. It has a quality that’s pretty cool in a mix, especially the so-called jazz piano- great character. It’s that “crap pianos are good in a mix” thing. Obviously, for doing classical piano solos, not so much. I’m 50/50 on the synths vs.Diva, depending on what it might be. I LOVE the Synclavier, the Matrix, the combo organs… all the synths are good, just maybe not quite as good as other alternatives. The Hammond is of course an abomination :smiley:

4 Likes

DIVA still remains a favourite monster, as does ZEBRA…

2 Likes

Hi Derek

I love Diva, and try to use it when I can, but many of the presets pushes my load over 100%, and stays there,. So, until I get a stronger computer, I have to use what works for my laptop. BTW, I am not in “diva” mode when this happens.

Corky

1 Like

Only out of curiosity: do you use DIVA in multiprocessor mode? This changed a lot for me…

1 Like

Are you meaning in Cantabile, or Diva?

Ah, sorry, I meant DIVA (multiprocessor mode in cantabile most probably cannot decrease cpu load of ONE instance of DIVA)

Busy day today – practice w/ the band (tons accomplished), and started building the new rig.

My damn laptop had to be started no less than 5 times today – taking (do the math) 10 mins up in down time, each time.

I think that explains the new build pretty well.