Win 10 Version 1903 Issues

Hi, if you do not quite trust Microsoft (why ever not :wink: ) then I have been using Macrium Reflect for years, which is free for personal use.

3 Likes

Ok smart step lol
Seems i locked my windows so good i canā€™t update in any way. Iā€™ll have to do it from stick i guess. But Iā€™ll probably lose everything?

Iā€™m going to agree with Derek! Macrium Reflect is a great tool. Full and incremental backups. And it will create a bootable USB stick for when things really go south. I do this before any major updates or changes.

Rick

1 Like

Just wondering how one could lock their windows installation?

Sounds like it could be a useful feature - but Iā€™ll bet all you actually did was to disable the Windows Update service, perhaps.

Terry

Glad to see that some of us have it working, there are still some unhappy campers at Peteā€™s twitter feed so itā€™s not apparently a global fix at this point. I have installed the current version of the 1903 update today to one of the laptops here to test if there has been any changes in behavior from the previous attempt and included some observations on my current 1803 install. The newest version of the update now passes the Latency Monitor tests but still records high maximum levels on the Nvidia graphics card I have in that laptop. I can also report that the 1803 version provided better DPC latency numbers with lower maximum levels. (about 25~30% less). In actual live use with Cantabile running a 4 synth load of mixed romplers and true synths as well as reverb and echo plus some compressors and limiters it has no pops or clicks that I have detected so far. I will keep it on the machine and play the $#@ out of it for a couple of days and see how it does. I think it wouldnā€™t be a bad idea to double check my video driver too since it is what is showing up as the big spender.

Cheers,

Dave

Terry,

• I followed the guidelines from the above article

Windows 10 auto updates keep bugging you? Hereā€™s how to stop them.

(disable in the group policy and the registry)

• I also used the stopwindows updates tool
  • and manually disabled processes (I know, risky) in the background.

Seems that the group policy and the stopupdates program were fighting eachother :slight_smile:
I finally updated now :slight_smile:

So after update I just used the stopupdates10 app and that seems enough.
I also use UWT4.6 for additional hacks. Always some more functions to tweak :wink:

I did need to activate C3 again after upgrade. Is this normal?

1 Like

Sven,

Yes, it is ā€¦

Dave

1 Like

Thx Dave, Iā€™m running latencymon and seems an enormous improvement from the 1703 version I still had running :slight_smile: I regularly had spikes. Thatā€™s why IO disabled so many services.

Were there any audio improvements in this version?

Besides activating C3 again, has anyone had to re_activate Korg Lecacy synths or Arturia? How about I-lok?

• Paul

I just had huge cpu usage because of Microsoft Compatibility Telemetry. I tried this solution:

I also disabled defender in UWT because that had also high usage.
Seems that you can disable telemetry and others also in UWT

1 Like

Yeah the interwebs are still buzzing with folks reporting issuesā€¦ Guess Iā€™m just lucky to be OK.

1 Like

Hey Paul,

C3 was the only re-authorize but I use dongle for iLok so not tested on that level.

Dave

I have Arturia stuff (analog lab) - no need to reactivate here!

any idea how to see what driver is causing the troubles here? Itā€™s all chinese to me :slight_smile:

I guess these are the bad guys:
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
REPORTED ISRs
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (Āµs):              106,884187
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       i8042prt.sys - i8042-poortstuurprogramma, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,000238
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,000551

ISR count (execution time <250 Āµs):                   8235
ISR count (execution time 250-500 Āµs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 Āµs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 Āµs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 Āµs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 Āµs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (Āµs):              1557,257238
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ACPI.sys - ACPI-stuurprogramma voor NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,021012
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,054532

DPC count (execution time <250 Āµs):                   1629390
DPC count (execution time 250-500 Āµs):                0
DPC count (execution time 500-999 Āµs):                75
DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 Āµs):              5
DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 Āµs):              0
DPC count (execution time >=4000 Āµs):                 0

i8042 is for the PS2 mouse and keyboard port but your values are not a problem at 100 uS.

ACPI is related to power management and acts as the arbiter between the Windows OS and the onboard BIOS and physical buss, memory etcā€¦

Not sure why your numbers are high for this, Iā€™m assuming you have the power plan set to always on full power so it must be a hardware deal of some sort. I have high numbers for ndis.sys (because itā€™s Nvidia I think).

Dave

What this means is that ACPI.SYS in at least one occasion, took 1.557 milliseconds of latency (i.e. potentially blocking audio generation for 1.5 millisecs). If your audio latency is less than (or close to) 2 milliseconds, that might cause glitches and cracks. ACPI does power management and PlugNPlay management - google is your friend to find that out.

Iā€™m going to guess that 1.5 milliseconds is probably not going to be an issue - but youā€™d have to judge on your own system and it would depend on how much load audio generation puts on your system as well. I would check power management settings: you probably want to lock your system down to max performance - if it is not, Win10 might decide to change power settings while youā€™re playing, and that might cause glitches ā€¦

All that as far as I understand - I am not a latency expertā€¦ feel free to correct me and I might learn something today :slight_smile:.

I did :slight_smile: Is this a prob?

thx for the help.
Iā€™m running a second time, now 0:59h
And some other drivers have probs. Letā€™s see on google where I find some info.

REPORTED ISRs
Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (Āµs):              99,733853
Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,000247
Driver with highest ISR total time:                   HDAudBus.sys - High Definition Audio Bus Driver, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,000407

ISR count (execution time <250 Āµs):                   17169
ISR count (execution time 250-500 Āµs):                0
ISR count (execution time 500-999 Āµs):                0
ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 Āµs):              0
ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 Āµs):              0
ISR count (execution time >=4000 Āµs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (Āµs):              1546,449889
Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ACPI.sys - ACPI-stuurprogramma voor NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,022142
Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         rspLLL64.sys - Resplendence Latency Monitoring and Auxiliary Kernel Library, Resplendence Software Projects Sp.

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,049197

No your power settings are not a problem; they are what they should be :slight_smile:. Good luck troubleshooting! (do you hear glitches? If not, donā€™t worry about the latencymon findings - proof is in the audio pudding, not in latencymon!)

1 Like

Haha nice saying :slight_smile: Gotta remember it like that :smiley:
Well, on 1703 I sure had some glitches (lately) thatā€™s also a reason why I switched and regarding to latencymon, itā€™s a big difference, I got a red warnings the moment I started, before 1903.

I also have Process Lasso Running, Iā€™m not sure after months of evaluation if this program really is doing some improvements.

From the latencymon site:

We believe that hard pagefaults are the most common cause of audio dropouts. The effect of a program hitting hard pagefaults while playing audio is usually dramatic. One problem with pagefaults is that they often come in groups so that a row of pagefault causes interruption of the audio stream. Another problem with them is that unlike ISRs and DPCs, putting in more processors into a system will not help you to avoid them. Page faults need to get resolved immediately and any thread that hits them is suspended until the pagefault is resolved. Hitting a hard pagefault on a page file or memory mapped file that is backed on a drive that is spun down because of a power feature may interrupt a program for several seconds until it can proceed.

• How to avoid hard pagefaults If you have concluded that hard pagefaults are the cause of audio dropouts, you can do any of the following to resolve the problems:

• Close down unnecessary applications which consume a lot of RAM

• Close down unnecessary service applications which consume a lot of RAM (the Search Indexer service is notorious)

• Increase the amount of RAM in your system

• Increase the working set of the audio application, only an option if you are the author of the software.

• Make sure audio data is paged-in (resident). Pages of memory are swapped out based on their use counts. If you use Windows for live playing, do a silent run of your software synthesizer. After changing patch on a sampler, touch all keys so that all memory it uses is paged-in to avoid embarrasing scenes.

• Disable the pagefile altogether. You can disable the pagefile by right-clicking My Computer and selecting Advanced System Settings->Advanced->Performance Settings->Advanced->Virtual memory->Change. Note that if you have no pagefile, the system can run out of memory if not enough memory is available. Also the system will no longer create crash dump files in case of a system crash.