Win 10 Version 1903 Issues

That is what has been tripping me up also - I always have to give the laptop 3-5 minutes before I run C3 with Jamstix, VB3 and IK Leslie. Windows Telemetry is the culprit for both disk and cpu.

How can you have your audio pudding if you don’t decrease your DPC? :sunglasses:

3 Likes

Love it! I’ll have to try and sneak that into a Welsh Floyd show (when we FINALLY (hopefully) get going again! ) :smile:

Scary to think it is the 40th anniversary of the The Wall this year…

2 Likes

With uwt you can tear down the wall.
You don’t need no latencycation!

2 Likes

Back on topic :slight_smile: (but love the wordplay), how are people now finding 1903?

It is now “ready” for my gig PC. I have not installed it yet, and will take a disk image first!

I have no issues and no spikes anymore after blocking the telemetry. Running for a week now and had 2 rehearsals and 2 concerts.

1 Like

Played 7 shows with it in Northern Ireland the last couple of days - no issues.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments, guys.

I’ll take a chance on this, but after doing a disk image first. I have rehearsal a week Sunday, so time enough to try it over the next few days.

And, Sven, thanks for that screen shot. I’ve been looking for a tool like that, and, I think this one was mentioned before, but couldn’t remember the name.

Whilst my GIG laptop is OK (but could be better according to Latency Monitor - I’ll post on that another time), I noticed last night that the video laptop for the band was being hammered performance wise - it has not been on for a month, maybe all sorts of things were trying to run. It was at 80% processor utilisation and 100% disk for over 30 mins.

It’s WIN10 PRO, but probably no tweaks have ever been applied to it, and I noticed all sorts of crap running, like ONE DRIVE Installer, Telemetry, Store, Photos, etc. So time to dig in and fix that. Strange enough one of the culprits last night was RtpMIDI (I connect GIGPC and Video laptop via this), but I am guessing it is because I had the LAN Ethernet unplugged whilst I was migrating to a new home hub for WIFI access (4G broadband deal that gives me unlimited data at 20mbps compared to the 2.4mpbs I get on my soggy Welsh landline!!)

Any other Windows performance tuning tool recommendations appreciated.

I haven’t installed 1903 yet, but I just disabled telemetry with the group policy editor, and also the Microsoft Compatibility Appraiser from the task scheduler, and it made a huge difference at start up.

• Paul
2 Likes

Latest from Pete at gearslutz :

Quote:

Originally Posted by b0se View Post

So is this actually fixed then? It seems sporadic in its efficacy.

The issue we introduced in 1903 has been fixed.

I suspect many of the other issues brought up are not related to that fix/problem, but folks are paying more attention to reported numbers, or there are other unrelated issues.

Just a hunch, as I do not have any real way to prove that at the moment.

Pete

2 Likes

I updated my GIGPC on the weekend (after taking a disk image first!) and so far performance has been fine. I have not noticed anything detrimental so far other than one I was expecting…

This is the Korg USB MIDI Driver issue mentioned over on Korg Forums. Which means the driver is not seen by Windows.

Korg have now released a new driver, but it is best to completely uninstall the existing driver first. And I used USB Oblivion as well to remove all traces of USB port enumerations before installing the new driver.

After that it all seems to work again.

Sadly, however, this Windows Build finally seems to have caused issues with the old Stalwart MIDIOX, which is a huge shame. I have sort of got it working again by running it in XP compatibility mode, but for some reason the MIDI filters do not work, so you cannot filter out MIDI Clock or Active Sensing. I know we have good MIDI monitoring in Cantabile, but I also like to be able to check MIDI outside of Cantabile for some things. Amazingly there is still no real MIDIOX replacement out there. I could only find a few and they were a bit rubbish".

2 Likes

On all my machines 1903 has been a DOG so all are currently rolled back to earlier versions that worked. All suffering from NDIS spikes of around 6 to 7 ms so unusable for music making period. I don’t believe they have addressed the bad they introduced to the product because it has to do with hardware compatibility and it appears that mostly newer systems seem to be OK. This was a bad update from the start for people with older rigs but it’s just my opinion. From a doctors point of view “do no harm” got dropped on the update and lots of things not nice for real time media use got introduced. FWIW I tried it again this morning hoping for an improvement and it still bites… already rolled back.

Dave

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. How old is your computer?

1 Like

Hey Sven,

Music performance laptops are 6 yrs old, studio computer is 8 yrs old, home computer 5 yrs old. I maintain and repair all my equipment so there have been upgrades, overhauls and general maintenance throughout. I think it will get sorted out but not till one of us who sent in crash reports gives the programmers the reason that our hardware is being affected and not others. On the other hand it might not even be hardware age (I’m trusting internet posts on this) for all I know because I know it’s working really well on some systems. So it might be just me not configuring it correctly. Thanks for asking …

Dave

2 Likes

I noticed I activated Gaming modus on my w10 :slight_smile:
Any comments on this modus?
http://forum.cakewalk.com/Windows-10-Game-mode-comming-m3545997.aspx

I have read in a couple places that it actually only optimizes the pathway to the GPU for some graphics improvements, and that changes involving audio are not involved at all.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Windows+10+game+mode+useful+for+"pro+audio"

Terry

1 Like

Hi All,

I checked back on the chatter at GS and this is still not resolved for some of us. Pete and the crew at MS are currently still looking into what causes the problems.

Dave

3 Likes