Technology Update 2021

Today I started on some of the more boring but still important parts of releasing a software product - the build and installer scripts.

Not finished, but making progress.

10 Likes

Huh… wasn’t expecting that.

9 Likes

Shrunk 4.507 MB in 51 days. We can project that in 109 days (Feb 21 '22), the application will shrink the remaining 9.662 MB and be … Zero Size! :grin: Great work Brad!!

4 Likes

Does that mean you’ve got a bit left in your hand? That normally happens to me when I’ve taken something apart… :wink:

3 Likes

Preparation for an iOS app? :wink:

Our first glimpses of Cantabile 4!

4 Likes

Will this new version 4 cost anything for current subscribers to upgrade from C3?

If you’re subscribed you’ll get it for free just like current builds are released.

Brad

3 Likes

No. Why?

Referring to downward trend in size. I guess it was only amusing to me. Sorry.

1 Like

Doh, my bad.

Setup works better when you include the correct files. (I was accidentally including 2 copies of x64 build instead of separate x86/x64).

Still, pleased to see the size hasn’t blown out.

5 Likes

Can´t wait to try this new version.

1 Like

I think I’ve installed Cantabile about a thousand times today while testing the new install script. VMWare snapshots are a life saver because they make rolling back to re-run the setup so much easier.

Anyway, I’ve now got Cantabile and .NET installing nicely. If .NET 5 shared runtime isn’t installed it downloads it from Microsoft and installs it automatically.

Surprised how quickly .NET 5 downloads and installs - they’ve obviously trimmed it down a lot. Check out this video showing install on a pretty much clean Windows 7 x64 VM so it’s installing both x86 and x64 editions of .NET.

There’s no ngen step in the installer at the moment. Not sure if that’ll come back since it’s been replaced with a new crossgen tool whose documentation is extremely sparse. Seems like it might not be needed since .NET 5 is apparently fast enough without it but will keep an eye out for advances in this area.

Getting closer…

6 Likes

Bits left in your hand?

:wink:

Really looking forward to the new version though.

P

1 Like

Today = test, test, fix, test, test, test, fix, fix, test, test, test, test…

Also implemented this.

9 Likes

Quick update… still just testing, but also:

10 Likes

Glad to see the engine messages suppressed. That alone will be worth the update!

Thank you for continuing to improve this amazing piece of software.

2 Likes

Another quick update on this.

The new build is basically ready to go as a alpha release but I’m waiting on a fix to SkiaSharp that is hopefully imminent.

Also, I’ve got a busy week with some personal stuff (a funeral, family stuff and some house maintenance) and since I want to be on hand and focused when it’s released I’m aiming to put it up early next week. Stay tuned!

18 Likes

Alpha build available now, see here.

5 Likes