Stay at home projects

Thanks for the comments David. I’ve listened, and watched this probably over a hundred times, and the ending still gets me. Funny thing, it was just a random decision, as I planned a completely different ending earlier on.

Hey @Corky

thanx for sharing this - actually thanks threefold:

a) for sharing this emotional moment - really touching!

b) for this refreshed arrangement - cool vibe for a classic!

c) for inspiring me to take a new run at this song - I’d never dared to try and sing this one, but after all the lockdown rehearsals, I actually manage the range now. Having a super-emotional time playing and singing this down in my man-cave with a “cränked” arrangement (a hybrid of yours and the classic version, with some Cränk! seasoning added)!

Thanks for the inspiration! :star2::sparkles:

1 Like

Nice!! Glad you are taking it on. Post it when you get it done. The vocal range can get tricky. Weird thing is, I sang Bass in High School Choir. Gary Brooker has a tremendous range…check him out here, especially what he starts out with. Just nails it!

2 Likes

Yeah, I can relate - I am a bass baritone, which isn’t really the best starting point to sing rock vocals :wink: . But I get by (with careful choices of which songs to definitely avoid…)

Great video! I loved the part when he diverted into Bach’s Air in D - that was my graduation concert in high school :violin: - I played classical violin at that time…

1 Like

Don’t tell that to Greg Lake! Or John Wetton…

2 Likes

Or Rick Astley… :grin:

1 Like

Yup - I wasn’t disputing that there are some very credible baritones in rock. Still with rock covers, there’s a certain center of gravity towards the higher registers, unfortunately (for me).

I’d locate John Wetton somewhere between a baritone and a tenor, and the center of my register is a bit lower than Greg Lake’s - to my ears, he’s a “middle-of-the road” baritone, where my register is more “bassy” - but his repertoire definitely feels very comfortable to me :wink:

There are tons of baritones in rock music (Bowie, Jagger, Elton, …) - there’s lots of stuff in rock you can sing if you train to expand the upper part of the baritone range with good technique…

1 Like

Can’t deny that in the world of rock high and (often) screechy is the tendency :smiley: :smiley: That or high and impossibly clean like Steve Perry. Well, early Steve Perry.

2 Likes

OK, I finally took the plunge and recorded a first vocal take. Not really “done” yet, but gives an impression of where this is going… Thinking about adding some backing vox in the chorus for some additional “shine” - and the mix still needs a bit of work. But really pleased I manage the range at all, albeit with a bit of squeakiness :wink:

11 Likes

Sounds really good Torsten!!

1 Like

I really loved your version. Well done indeed. Congratulations!!

Plinio

P.S.: You have your first thumb up at youtube as well :wink:

1 Like

Sounding real good Torsten, thanks for the preview!

Cheers!

Dave

1 Like

Well, better late than never, right??! After 2 YEARS of occasionally messing with it I added some final vocals, overdubs and mixed my covid album. Almost all the music was done in April 2020 over 2 weeks. Then I decided I hate my voice and abandoned it. But, for better or worse I forced myself, finally.
Warning- these are the 24bit WAV files, so they’re big. I’ll maybe release it eventually… maybe not :laughing: but you guys are welcome to check it out. I tried to make it sound like a lost late 70s prog record…

3 Likes

I like it! Track 2 sounds like it maybe has a little Yes influence? Really enjoyed it!

1 Like

Sounding good so far Fred. Having problems with my player stopping every 15 seconds or so. Will try to fix it and hear it all. I will get back to you.

Corky

1 Like

Hey Fred,

What’s wrong with your voice? You did an excellent job, I enjoyed it.

Oh you know, it’s a thing… I appreciate the positive feedback, thanks!

Sounded just fine to me. You are as critical as me regarding our voices. Just let it flow! :smiley:

2 Likes

I agree - just finished listening to Boot Up - vocals sound great!

EDIT - piano at the end sounds amazing.

Sounds good!