Stay at home projects

Real nice!!

I recorded that whole freaking album in April and haven’t touched it since. There it sits in the same state- one song with no ending and no vocals for any of it. And dammit, I listened to it the other day and it’s really good lol I need to get fired up and finish it. Part of the problem is I hate my voice. I’m thinking about trying to do the vocals some other way- Vocaliod, random screams, dog though Melodyne, anything.

This project, for the annual A Leg To Stand On Rocktoberfest fundraiser (www.altso.org/rocktoberfest) was stay at home for all practice until we got together at Euphoria Studios in NYC with only enough time to run through the songs twice. In the rush to setup the tripod I forgot to make sure it was tight so the kick drum was vibrating the iPhone 8 we shot these with. Our guitar player’s son in LA sent us his parts. My bass was recorded direct out of an Aguilar DB750. Normally the event is at the Hard Rock Cafe in Times Square with about 15 bands. Most of the musicians work at financial firms in the New York area. The virtual event raised almost as much as the live event. ALTSO provides prosthetic limbs for kids in areas where they otherwise might not get them.

Squeezebox

Bang a Gong

3 Likes

That would definitely sound better than my voice thru Melodyne…

1 Like

Working on a new project/video. Hope to have it done in a few weeks. Thought I’d better dress up a little for this one, and be somewhat “classical”. :grin:

WSOP 1A

8 Likes

When Tony Rice passed a few days ago they ran some of his old interviews and he commented on how spiffing up for the gig was a necessity. Jacket and tie and trim the whiskers please :grin: … Thanks for the listen when it comes!

Dave

1 Like

Cool, can’t wait!

My Whiskers and long hair vanished yesterday. I haven’t shaved or had a haircut since the 1st shutdown in March. I was hoping for a fill in job for ZZ Top, but was tired of eating beard with my food. :wink:

2 Likes

Hi Corky,

I thought you looked very distinguished with your beard. I was ready to follow any treatise you might write. :grinning:

Doug

1 Like

Since everything is slowly opening up, this will probably be my last “Stay At Home Project”. But, of course, I will be staying at home anyway. :sleeping:

This was my late brother’s favorite song, and his widow asked if I would do a video…6 months later, I turned it loose.

14 Likes

Corky, beautifully done video and very moving!

Dave.

2 Likes

Nice version of AWSOP for your brother. Like Dave said, very moving.

2 Likes

Totally agreed folks, I felt it too …

@Corky, very nice arrangement. I have played the original 1965 version for a good while so I loved your organ tone and performance, it’s brings it.

Dave

3 Likes

Many thanks guys. I did the vocal in one take, and my tears were streaming the whole time. I wanted to re-do it, but couldn’t get it together enough to even try.

I’ve already been asked what I used…so here is the list:

B3-X - Hammond solos
VB3-II for lower manual Hammond fill
Cymbal Crashes and Timpani - Korg Triton vst
Choirs were individual vocals from EWQL Hollywood Choirs
each individual part and range were tracked.
Strings were also individually tracked with Spitfire Studio Strings
Piano - Spectrasonics Keyscape Duo - LA Piano + LA Rhodes + Valhalla
Vintage Verb
I played Drums on a Roland E-Drum kit
I played Bass directly into the mix, and added Bass fx

Many various fx were used throughout.

Thanks again for listening and commenting.

4 Likes

@Corky, very nice.
A while ago I watched a video of procol harum live in denmark with orchestra and was much impressed - same with your video.

My version was inspired by the version in Denmark. Gary Brooker can sing anything and make it sound great.

1 Like

I liked very much the trick of starting and closing with pianos, and central theme with organ. Very nice arrangement and very original

1 Like

Very moving indeed, @Corky!
The vocals are great, IMO.

1 Like

Nice! Excellent vocal for sure.

1 Like

Beautiful!

For me it was a very moving moment when the B3 abruptly stops near the ending.

1 Like