Post Something Pointless and Stupid thread

Thumbs down from me too. I hate guitar noodling.

A Frippertronics concert might be the very definition of guitar noodling :smiley: I saw him do it in the 90s at some point and it was fun. Of course he was all digital then. I sort of wish he had busted out the old Revoxs.

2 Likes

I also saw Frippā€™s solo act in the early 80ā€™s when he came to Western University in Ontario. I remember him sitting on a stool in the middle of the stage, with his reel to reels spinning, and one lone spotlight over top of him. He started the show by plunking a couple of notes to create a backing beat, and slowly built up the song to a monstrous mash of guitar orchestration, with spacey solos in between. Quite entertaining and evolutionary at the time.

1 Like

As I recall it was part of a 3 solo album stretch of concerts like that I believe was called the ā€˜drive to 1984ā€™. Exposure was album 1 of the series. Whatā€™s weird is I canā€™t find my shoes but can remember stuff from the 80ā€™s ā€¦

I added that part at the end to be pointless ā€¦ :grin:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s something stupid to watch.
Nash The Slash gets kicked out of his own gig.

Iā€™ve seen Nashā€™s performances several times over the years. For some of you that donā€™t know him, he was a solo musician playing electrified violin and mandolin. Part of his act was to dress up like a mummy. He also played in a local Toronto band called FM.

1 Like

As I remember he was a Roland micro composer extraordinaire with a very compact stage rig!

I wasnā€™t aware Nash was using a microcomposer, but makes total sense. There was no MIDI back then. Nash was doing cutting edge stuff back in the 70ā€™s with his voltage controlled hardware.

He also had tricks up his sleeve like using a reel to reel and slowed it down to 1/2 speed to get some thunderous drum loops.

Stupid but effective. :smile:

Nash was great. I canā€™t wait to watch the videoā€¦

1 Like

Ya Fred,
Nash and the band FM had quite a cult following where I live.
He sure went through a lot of surgical bandages in his lifetime too. :wink:

1 Like

For a while I had heard rumors that Nash was actually Ben Mink in costume but obviously thatā€™s not the caseā€¦ I didnā€™t realize (or had forgotten) that he passed away in 2014. Thatā€™s very sad,

Fred,
Yes sad, but still gave a lot of good memories.
If you google ā€œFM Live at Nearfest 2006ā€ thereā€™s a 38 minute video of the band playing all their top hits. They sound just as good as they did back in the 70s-80s. Might be worth a listen. Check out the keyboard setup too.

1 Like

Oh excellent! Yeah, I didnā€™t go that year. Didnā€™t know there was video! Nash was back for that, right? I know he came and went a couple times though their career.

Oh my bad Fred,
Nash wasnā€™t at Nearfest, Claudio Vena was playing mandolin here.
Still a good listen though.

1 Like

Me too am a Hacket-ite! And Firth of Fith is one of my all time favourites, specifically the interaction of guitar and keys in the instrumental, which is right at the top of instrumentals!

I can thoroughly recommend the DVD of Steveā€™s ā€œSpectral mornings/Selling England by the Poundā€ tour - the musicianship is awesome!

2 Likes

W00t, thread back from the dead!

3 Likes
2 Likes

The one I like is the sleeping tablet side effects list, that caution that they may cause drowsinessā€¦

Iā€™ve got his Genesis revisited Hammersmith Odeon live set, and of course the Genesis Revisited II album, which gives you all the classics in one place.

ā€œDo not take Privonarsisect, if you are allergic to Privonarsisect.ā€

2 Likes