Post Something Pointless and Stupid thread

It’s also on Tubi if you have that, along with tons of other good classic music stuff…

Note Steve Hackett “tapping” on the fretboard long before Mr E Van Halen popularised it…

Said Mr Van Halen picked up the technique after watching Steve Hackett at a live gig playing “Slogans” live.

1 Like

Surprised no one has mentioned my friend Saxsquatch yet…

I think a lot of guitarists tapped before Van Halen… Hendrix did too. At least he extensively used hammer-ons and all that stuff.

The two-handed tap is a pretty specific technique though. There are some guitarists that did it in the 30s and 40s, you can find video on Youtube. But Steve was clearly doing it ages before Eddie and I think it’s very likely that is where Eddie got the idea. On Dancing WIth The Moonlight Night there’s a section of up/down tapping that sounds exactly like Eddie. Of course, EVH ran with the idea though and took it even farther than Hackett had.

2 Likes

Were cables invented after 1987? :roll_eyes: (guy on beach doesn’t appear to use them :grinning:)

1 Like

My niece was the voice of Tickety Tock on Blue’s Clues. We still give her a hard time about Steve :grinning:

2 Likes

Some interesting fret work on this live video… Sound goes a bit pants later on in, but you can see his tapping on Slogans, which is allegedly the track that melted Van Halen’s brain when he saw Hackett live on The Defector tour…

General comments above are fair. There is a huge amount of debate on who invented/popularised it, how old it is, etc, but I heard it first in Genesis, and Hackett is THE Guitar God for me if I could only pick one player. :slight_smile:

I have heard Hackett widdle like the rest of them (but always tastefully), and then pull a solo out of a single note just from sustain and tone (listen to “Twice Around the Sun” from “Dark Town”, and switch from way out rock guitar to delicate nylon acoustic. The man is a genius. Firth of Fifth still sends a shiver down my spine.

4 Likes

Also a Hackett fan and I also love the keys on this one!!

4 Likes

Hey, you don’t have to defend Steve to me, I love the guy! And he’s really carried the flame for the kind of music Genesis used to do while the rest of the band was lured away to pop stardom, or attempts at it (even though I still like the work of all of them, don’t get me wrong). I’ve been lucky enough to be on several bills with him over the last decade…

2 Likes

This is stupid, so it’s relevant. At a young age, I didn’t discover tapping, but I did find tap and hold on an acoustic guitar. I would tap and hold the small e-string at the 12th fret. then worked my way down the neck (11th fret, 10th fret…). The overtones were excellent harmonies with the note that was tapped. I wish I would have developed it further, but my trumpet was my true love at the time.

1 Like

Genesis are currently streaming a different concert film from their trio era every week as part of their own lockdown film festival. This one knocked me out:

3 Likes

Saw them on that tour! The film can’t do justice to the light show. Still one of the best I’ve ever seen- Hme by the Sea was trancedent. Shooting on film made it tragically dark. (I’ve seen Steve Hackett many times but sadly never with Genesis- my first show for them was Duke.)

3 Likes

Love Home By The Sea. They are touring next year. PC was a hell of an entertainer. Such a shame what all has happened to him. Thought his tour would fail with him sitting and not hitting the high notes, and his great drumming. But, he was very successful. I am sure Genesis tour will be sold out everywhere.

2 Likes

Sorry, I didn’t mean to be defensive :slight_smile: I was lucky to see Hackett in 2003 in Cardiff. Would love to see him again, but unfortunately the volume at that gig was ear splittingly loud for the missus (and on the edge for me), so she refuses to go to see him agian even in a larger concert hall venue that he is doing his shows in now. So I may need to go on my lonesome.

I guess like most here, I am more of a classic Genesis man (for me its Selling England…, A Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering), but the three piece did some good music (just accept it as being different) including gems like Home by The Sea

And Hackett has had a very prolific solo career (some blind alleys now and again, but on the whole very good).

Out of the “and then there were three” era musicians and their solo albums, I think that Banks has never had the attention he deserves, and I think his solo albums have stood the test of time really well.

And I was playing this one the other day, and just wondered if others have heard it? Who would have put Tony Banks and Toyah together? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

And talking of Toyah, and to get back on the topic of something pointless and stupid…

Have you seen her lockdown skits with hubby Robert Fripp?

3 Likes

Saw some of these…Fripp seems very dominated. :laughing:

1 Like

I saw Fripp do fripper-tronics at the local planetarium in Calgary in the late 70’s and he performed with his black box pedal rig (unknown innards) and 2 Revox A77 open reel recorders set on 2 card tables about 4 feet apart. He would play a phrase into the first recorder and as it played back on the second one he would play the next phrase to the first recorder and feed a bit of the playback to the initial recorder machine as well. All of it was mixed through a common board. He would create these long tapestries of over-driven guitar layers that ran up to 20 minutes long. He then took the tapes he generated this way from his extended touring and created studio albums from them. I’m pretty sure Brian Eno was involved in this music creation technique either as the originator or collaborator. He was anything but gentle or dominated. Instead he dominated the performance space to the extent that some of the heads in there were melted into the seats … :exploding_head:. He spied a young fellow in the near rows and called him out after the first song for recording the performance with a portable device and excoriated him in front of everyone and demanded he turn over the device. The dude agreed to erase it and hand over the device till the show was over but he had stones though and in the process of doing the surrender he begged for a sit down recorded interview and believe it or not he was granted the interview by Fripp. It aired on local PBS and was a big hit in Calgary at the time for fans of his …

My favorite Fripp Song from this studio era was from side one of the “Exposure” album (1979) called “Breathless” .

Dave

3 Likes

My favourite Crimson album has to be RED, and Starless is still sublime.

1 Like

I LOVE Genesis, especially the early stuff through about Three Sides Live. Like the live record Seconds Out when Hackett was still in the band (although he’s buried in the mix a lot of the time). And King Crimson, of course.

1 Like