New Leslie Vst from IK Multimedia

Hey Fred,

On the subject of Amp sims, there are recently added free offerings from Blue Cat. Their destructor algo is supposed to be a new sound. Might be worth a look

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_FreeAmp/

It sounds great to me!

Dave

2 Likes

Free pre-amps and pedals at Mercuriall also. Been testing their stuff, sounds great.
https://mercuriall.com/cms/details_freestuff

1 Like

Yep, I’ve been using Mercuriall.

1 Like

Hi Paul,

I bought the Amplitube Leslie version instead of the T-Racks because:

1. It seemed to be exactly the same plugin as the T-Racks version
  2. I use Amplitube for bass guitar
  3. IK discounted just the Amplitube version $45 off

What is the Leslie switching issue? Speaking of that, is there a way to setup the Amplitube Leslie in Cantabile so the mod wheel goes from slow to brake to fast like in VB3 1.4?

Hi, It’s supposed to be exactly the same as T-Racks though in my tryout with the trial version I couldn’t match the settings of my Amplitube version. I probably didn’t try hard enough! Still, I think the visual layout of the Amplitube version is better anyway.

The Leslie switching problem is to do with getting from ‘Brake’ to Slow/Fast (and I don’t think the Mod wheel can do Slow/Brake/Fast like a Leslie switch - at least, I haven’t been able to do it). I use a Line 6 pedal unit (though any midi pedal unit would do) for controlling the Leslie. Pedal A is set to Brake and Pedal B is set to Slow/Fast. If Pedal A is set to ‘single’, pressing and holding Pedal B immediately moves to ‘Fast’ (letting go moves back to ‘Slow’). Pressing Pedal A again goes to ‘Brake’. In other words from ‘Brake’ only one push is needed to switch to Leslie ‘on’.

BUT, and this is the issue, this only works if the Amplitube ‘Cab’ window is open (thus obscuring the rest of Cantabile). Close the window and press ‘Brake’ and no more Leslie slow/fast is available. The workaround is to set Pedal B to ‘toggle’ but this then requires a push again to move out of ‘Brake’ and into Slow/fast i.e. an extra switching movement. It didn’t happen with the T-Racks version which worked fine, windows open or closed. I’ve sent (and received) a number of emails from IK to try and get them to at least acknowledge the issue, including a short movie requested by them to illustrate the problem clearly, but so far there’s been no real response which is disappointing given that I really like the product apart from that one important control issue. I asked them if I could exchange it for the T-Racks version since that works ok but they didn’t respond. Ideally, once Brake is set ‘on’ it should switch to slow/fast with one button press then drop back to Brake on release as per a real Leslie switch but they seem to have missed this when developing the software. I’m still hopeful they’ll address this in a future upgrade - we’ll see.

Not really sure why there is a big difference in price with the T-Racks version but other than that it’s great!

My mod wheel, of course, runs the fast/slow. I created a parameter binding for the brake button to be assigned to my lowest key on my controller, but it could be assigned to most anything. Another beauty of C3.

I haven’t tried it yet, but I would think it possible to assign the brake to mod wheel values at center. Just haven’t looked into yet.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer - this is really helpful. I think I’m going to go with slow fast on modwheel as Corky recommends below and assign brake to a button on my Axiom 61.

I’m going to find out where to send feature requests and ask them to do the Slow-Brake-Fast with the mod wheel the way it works in VB3 1.4.

The lower price for the Amplitube version is a temporary sale - IK does a lot of flash sales like this.

1 Like

I’ve figured out how to get the Mod Wheel to work from Brake -Slow-Fast (though not Slow-Brake-Fast, though I think the first way is safer anyway). Just refer to the CC1 lines and ignore the CC16, CC4 Lines as they are in use by external controllers.

The secret seems to be in the Min/Max/Curve controls. Anyway, this works for me and you may be able to refine it to exactly where you want your mod wheel to change speeds.

Incidentally, I’ve now changed the pedals A&B settings on my Line 6 using a ‘Custom’ setting that matches the Amplitube CC1 controls; now I can switch directly from Brake to Slow/Fast on there as well! Finally. No thanks to IK for any help towards solving that issue!

Paul

1 Like

Hi All,

There have been calls for a way to make the IK Leslie speed switch and brake switch from a single mod wheel that behaves nicely with the brake at center area of the mod wheel. @Corky first spoke of it and he was right, it can be done in C3. I got to looking at it and came up with this solution using Cantabile bindings. The first thing to consider is that you want the bindings to be the only source of CC data to the Leslie plugin so delete any automatically created input routes from the main keyboard to the rack directly.

next move to the bindings page and create these 5 bindings

Set all bindings values to “Discard”. Now When you move the wheel into the sweet spot in the middle it engages the brake without setting off the speed switch (which by the way over rides the brake when invoked) and re-engages when the wheel is moved out of the sweet spot. The sweet spot can be made wider or narrower by changing the values of the bindings. Lastly open the options for the leslie plugin and make sure the latch options are Off and that the states behavior boxes are checked for the brake and the speed switch if not already done.

Works great on Win 10 X64 3543. It’s a workaround for now … hope it helps some of you!

C3 Bindings … the gift that keeps on giving! :grin:

Dave

4 Likes

Thanks for the work on that Dave. I intended to setup a Leslie rack inclusive of bindings for that, and share it, but been bogged down with health and family issues. Have some ideas for other racks as well.

Regards

Corky

No sweat Corky, I hope things get better on your end of it. I know how it goes …

Best

Dave

1 Like

Hey Corky,
FWIW Here’s my Leslie rack with the Mod Wheel with centered brake switch bindings, you’ll probably have to re-load the plugin if there’s trouble with the vst path but the bindings are all there. Bindings should look like this inside the rack.

IK Leslie.cantabileRack (13.2 KB)

Dave

3 Likes

@dave_dore. Excellent work on this rack. Works like a charm. Copied the bindings into my existing rack and voila’. Exact dead center stop. I would encourage others who are using the IK Leslie to give this a go. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Thanks again Dave. Binding works great. Incorporating it into my existing rack I am working on.

1 Like

Hey Corky,

Good to see you stirring around. I am really enjoying VB3 II and IK Leslie, Thanks for the nudge :wink: I could have spent the jing on way less fun!

Dave

1 Like

NEW IK LESLIE VIDEO

Pretty impressive growl when cranked but I like the lighter 11 to 12 position on the gain control for a lot of what I play now, it growls nicely down there for me! Thanks for the video @Corky !

Dave

1 Like

It does sound pretty darn good on headphones, so hopefully awesome through a PA!

So is the general consensus that VB3 II and the IK Leslie is the dogs whotsits when it comes to the pinnacle of a modelled virtual rock organ?

My organ interest is Rick Wright type classic Darkside Hammond, which I have never fully gotten with my Hammond options. I was close to his live PULSE sound on some songs, but not all, and there is something about the studio sound on some tracks that i could never quite get. And, as Fred has mentioned, there is something about the early Tony Kaye Yes Album sound as well, which I really like.

At the moment my current projects do not require an organ sound, but I might be starting something soon that will, so it will be time to re-evaluate my organ sounds and options! :slight_smile:

Yeah, I’d say so…

Hey @Corky or anyone else I have a question, was the Hammond XK going in flat no drive and all the drive growl was from Amplitude Leslie? Was there any other overdrive added before the leslie? I had to combine drive from VB3 II with the leslie to get the same kind of sound.