Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Thanks, Torsten. I’ll try and I’ll let you know. But I will win !!!
Sergio

Hi Torsten,

That was a nice concise explanation. I’ve been meaning to re-do my organ racks so the brake works across B-3X, B5 and Blue3

Thanks,

Doug

I’ve made a small ReaJS script for managing my Leslie, I have a stick on my SL88 that I use as half moon, and I use two pedals, one for momentary fast and the other to toggle between slow and stop. Output is currently a CC01, as it fits my needs, but the script can easily be made generic, i.e. configurable pedal settings and more generic output, if that would be of any interest. Let me know and I’ll be happy to mend the script and share.

I noticed that the Leslie Brake argument was appreciated !! the idea of ​​having the Leslie brake came to me as well as to learn the control buttons, because in several songs the Leslie has to brake very quickly and vice versa. I’m glad you liked the idea!
Sergio

Hi Torsten.
Today I tried to put into practice what you explained. You are always clear in your explanations, but I go slowly with the various steps.
I must understand and not copy !! So, until I fully understand the “dynamics” of the various steps, I prefer to do the steps you created several times. After all, I had done the same with the States and now I have no problems with the States, I have “absorbed” them at best !!
I always prefer to understand and not copy !!!
Sergio

1 Like

I use the brake a lot, especially when soloing. Other than Leslie bindings, the brake switching has always been a 1st choice part of my bindings. There are several comments in this thread about brake bindings from a few years ago, so this is not a new subject. Glad you are learning though :wink: Here are a few of the posts:

1 Like

Hi Torsten
It doesn’t seem to work: on the bindings, under the Action column, I see that you have transcribed Controllers and immediately after there is the value 127, but in the drop-down menu I don’t see it written as you indicate it. I also tried with CC but it doesn’t work anyway. Why? I should have followed all the instructions.
Sergio

This is the saved screen
Sergio

Hey Sergio,

if you are asking for help and posting screenshots here, it would be helpful if you set your Cantabile language to English - difficult to decipher the Italian in your screenshot…

Still, your binding seems OK (I assume the Event means “Controller (no edge button)”, right? The Action is correctly set to CC93, val 127, so that should be good. It just seems that the Italian translation of Cantabile has “CC” in the dropdown menu instead of “Controller” as the English version does. Again, I’d recommend to set your Cantabile to English, given that you communicate with the forum a lot. Far easier if everybody sees the same thing on their screens…

Have you tried clicking the “play” button (triangle on the left side of the binding) - this should cause the leslie to stop right away.

Now on the other dialog where you are setting the on-screen button: be aware that these on-screen buttons don’t send to “Main Keyboard” - they always send to “Onscreen Keyboard”. This means that you’ll have to also create a route from “Onscreen Keyboard” to your B3-X MIDI In.

Alternatively, you could also create a binding in the background rack that automatically re-routes all output from the onscreen keyboard so that it looks as if it came from the Main Keyboard:

That way, you don’t need to create extra routes from Onscreen Keyboard in every song. To do this, you’ll have to activate these two checkboxes in Cantabile’s settings:

Cheers,

Torsten

I’m sorry Torsten, to view Cantabile in English is it sufficient to delete the .JSON file?
So I get in line with you, then, calmly, I will restore my Italian …
Sergii

Sergio,

Just rename strings-it.json to something like strings-it.jsonX and restart Cantabile. Doing that, you easily switch between Italian and English and vice versa.

1 Like

Thanks you, Grazie Paolo

Hey Torsten.
I changed the language to Cantabile to English and checked the string which I thought was dubious, but it was spelled well.
I also flagged the two items in Advanced as you suggested.
I also clicked on the triangle at the top left. But the Brake does not work, it is not activated.
I wanted to clarify that I am using the controller buttons: maybe with these buttons the Leslie stop does not work? or did I skip any steps?
Sergio

Hey Sergio,

as I wrote above: when you use the Controller Bar buttons, they send their output to the MIDI port “Onscreen Keyboard”. So you’ll need to route the input from “Onscreen Keyboard” to your organ rack as well, otherwise it will not receive the commands from the buttons.

Forget about the advanced settings for the moment; let’s make sure we get this to work on the basics: Create a new route (in addition to the one from Main Keyboard to B-3X Sergio) from Onscreen Keyboard to B-3X Sergio. Then check if the onscreen button works to stop the Leslie.

If things don’t work, maybe try a MIDI monitor - first on the rack to understand what is being sent to the rack: right-click the rack and select as shown below

Now you can see what happens to the rack when you press the onscreen button. There should be a CC95/127 going into the rack. If not, something is wrong with the routing between your onscreen button and the rack.

Next we go to the organ itself, so go into the rack and create a MIDI Monitor from the organ plugin:

Now you can see what events come into your organ plugin - if the binding works, you should be getting CC93/127 events.

Once we have all this working, we can get to the more complex stuff, including the Background Rack…

I suspect that you are currently biting off a bit more than you can chew - this is pretty advanced stuff. So really take your time and make sure you learn and truly digest all the concepts around this. There will be some experimenting, troubleshooting and debugging involved. But that’s how you learn Cantabile - I’ve been working with Cantabile for more than 6 years now, and I’m still learning every day…

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Maybe we can comprise all your recent examples into a manual and name it, “Beginning Cantabile…Read This First!” :rofl:

I actually would have read it 1st when I started in 2016. :nerd_face:

I’m getting the feeling I sound like a broken record: “learn the basics, work your way through the videos and the guides, from the simple to the complex, yada yada…”

3 Likes

Bacon.

2 Likes

It’s typical, when newbies arrive…I have seen it happen in many forums. It also happened back in the time when all we had were mailing lists (I was on Paperlate, for instance, the Genesis mailing list, at the beginning of the 90ies…huge flame wars with newbies, pretending to know more than old timers! Not me…I am not for flame wars at all and I am pretty much silent on all the forums I partecipate into). :innocent:

Anyway, the fact that you have often to restate the obvious (for you) is a good sign for C3, I guess…the users base is getting larger and larger (at least I hope so).

Anyway, all this to say just one last thing: the level of patience that I have seen and experienced by members of this forum…I did not find it anywhere else. :+1:

Gabriele

Goodmorning everyone.
I think I exaggerated (as usual …).
I would like to apologize for putting your patience to the test.
I will certainly do one thing !! I will try not to be hasty, so I rewind my tape a few days ago !!
I leave these last experiments alone for the moment and go back to a few days ago when I tried to set up a rack, with all that goes with it.
I am just going to ask you one thing: before setting up the rack speech, at home, I used the keys of the pc, without my Pa 80 (associated with the keyboard in the Cantabile screen) to do my experiments, before verifying them with the Pa 80 .
Now this mode doesn’t work, probably due to experiments with racks (bindings, etc). Maybe I should restore something that I don’t know at the moment, so I ask you to tell me what I can do.
And I promise to disturb you silently, as Gabriele also suggests !!
Best regards
Sergio

Hi to all
I had modified the file for the Italian language * .json by adding an X (* .jsonX). After this modification, Cantabile’s keyboard was no longer associated with any sound when touched by Cantabile’s keyboard keys. I had done this on Torsten’s right suggestion, in order to show jpegs to everyone.
In the meantime I restored the Italian language to see some menu strings in Italian (I wanted to understand the translation) and, MIRACLE, everything was solved !!
I don’t know what happened, although I don’t think it could have been the only “X” …
Boh !! mysteries of science and technology … and of the MIDI rack …

Finally I double-checked what Torsten suggested (CC95 -> CC93), I prepared the two paths MainKeyboard and OnScreenKeyboard and I visualized the midi monitors, but the values ​​CC95 / 127 and CC 93/127 do not appear: I deduce that without these values ​​the brake just can’t work.

Greetings to all patients of mind …
Sergio