Motorola DSP563xx

I have been following this development for nearly two years and it has been very interesting. This from their web site:

"We are a group of people who are currently Reverse Engineering and Emulating the Motorola DSP563xx

This DSP has been used in plenty of virtual analogue synthesizers and other musical gear that was released after around the mid 90s, such as Access Virus A, B, C, TI / Clavia Nord Lead 3 / Waldorf Q, Microwave II / Novation Supernova, Nova and many others."

You can download it free at their website under downloads. It is amazing what so many people have been working diligently to create.

5 Likes

Very very interesting emulator.
Totally irrelevant thing, anyone with a legit Virus ROM file in the closet?

ROMs are in the internet archive:

3 Likes

This is kick ass!
Love the arpeggiator,ring mod, flavoured noise etc. etc.
This thing can be made to sound very strange.
Thanks for bringing this amazing project to my attention.

Uh, thanks, Neil

You’ll just need the VST and a ROM.
Put them in the same folder.
(You don’t need to muck around with the command line stuff)

Incredible! I never had a Virus, but I did have a Supernova II rack. Here’s hoping someone manages to recreate that!

Thanks for raising this thread! :clap:

Hello,

first of all thanks for the link and the hints to @Corky and @Neil. When I read this I thought it was a joke but the plugin actually works - awesome!

Unfortunately for me, my laptops are getting a bit long in the tooth (and when I look in the mirror, it tells me “could be right”. :rofl:
)
Nevertheless, the overload behavior is a bit strange: the CPU utilization display in Cantabile usually shows me values around 10%. If I then trigger further notes, it suddenly jumps to values above 100% (and yes: then it crashes violently). I don’t know this from any other VSTi. Is this due to the type of reingeneering or are there still settings with which this can be improved?

Second question: can the plugin also manage multiple soundbanks at the same time?

Thanks and greetings, Volker

I get similar behaviour with polyphony.
It looks doable by the time load meter but then seriously goes over.
It’s as if the notes aren’t fully gated at the end of their amp envelope.
I’ve not tried looking for banks other than the default ones. It looks very flexible though, with true 16 part multitimbrality and sysx patch librarian.
I would only really think about stacking mono or duo voices though due to performance issues.

Again it looks like another candidate for Brad’s mono/poly MIDI filter.
Though that leads me to a feature request for that filter: ability to sync vst paramters across instances of the same plugin

1 Like

Just a quick note: if you’re after the Nord Lead sound, you should definitely take a look at the discoDSP offerings: Discovery and Discovery Pro - very close to the original Nord Lead 2. They actually read and write Nord Lead sysex.

Not quite my sweet spot (too dancey-trancey for my taste), but if you’re after that 90s vibe, definitely something to look at.

And if you’re after the Virus sound, there’s always Adam Szabo’s Viper.

Cheers,

Torsten

Thanks @Corky! it works well here (though only with the Virus C rom…the B ROM is loaded correctly, I can select the presets but I get no sound)!

There are a few great sounds in there! :laughing:

Gabriel

P.S. Personal trivia: the Motorola DSP56000 was the first DSP I had to program. It was mounted on the Atari Falcon 030 and at that time I was collaborating with a team of physicians. The Falcon was used as a “digital” stethoscope and the DSP mainly used to calculate FFTs.

1 Like

+1 on Viper, it is very good, and I have just “discovered” Discovery, and will be getting that once my latest income from my synth librarian sales come in. :slight_smile:

Just a question: I presume you downloaded the demo version of discovery. Does it produce small glitches once a minute or so? (cause that´s what happens here).

Thanks and regards, Volker

Only noticed glitch moving master volume knob while playing.

According Discovery manual “Demo version can load banks, but the host will be unable to store any current synth state or save banks.”

1 Like

Yes, exactly, I had also found the passage. I had initially assumed that the glitches had been deliberately implemented in the demo version to make it unusable (which is a common method). But since the description of the demo restrictions didn’t give any hint about it, I thought that this might have been forgotten.But now it looks like it’s rather a problem of my machine (whereas the CPU load in C3 is rather inconspicuous and the gltches also occur independently of the selected sound).

O.k.: then it’s nothing with Discovery. Anyway: thanks @cpaolo for your feedback.

Greetings, Volker

1 Like

The OSIRUS (DSP56300 Emu) is awesome. :smiley:

The sounds are so good, I feel like I’m playing real hardware. It has a few issues but I’m happy to work with it. And, there are many more patches available out there if you look hard enough.

Edit: Sounds great but not ready for prime time! Couldn’t find any reliable way of recalling patches.

Funny thing: this just arived from Adam Szabo:

Viper has been updated to version 1.1.0 which includes the following changes:

• New Virus bank import
• New “View Schematic” in main menu
• Fixed a crash when switching presets
• Fixed a high CPU usage issue on automation
• Multiple Viper instances load faster
• Several other bugfixes and improvements

To download the update, simply click the download link again from the receipt email which contains your serial when you purchased Viper.

The biggest feature in 1.1.0 is the ability to import Virus soundbanks! Explore thousands of presets made for the Virus with this new feature! This was extremely hard to achieve with months and months of intense hard work, thank you for your patience. To use this feature you need to download the free Virus waveforms available on Viper’s webpage. Please note that not all Viper patches will sound 100.00% identical to the Virus sounds. The Virus and Viper are two different synths, written in a completely different way. The Virus has features that Viper does not have, and vice-versa. Not all patches will be compatible and those will sound nothing like the original. If the Virus patch uses the same features that Viper has, the conversion will be much more accurate. Please keep that in mind when importing the Virus patches. Thank you, and enjoy!

Regards, Volker

1 Like

Just to complete the question concerning glitches in Discovery Pro: I sent in a request to the corresponding KVR forum and got response very fast:!the gltches I hear are by design for the demo.

Great reaction by the way as they changed the manual (even though the link stii seems to point to the older version).

Regards, Volker

Edit: old version was a browser cage issue on my side!

1 Like