How to set C3 as master tempo and send this tempo out to other keyboard?

Is it possible to set C3 as master so that I can see the tempo on my external keyboard also?

You need to select the MIDI devices that receive MIDI clock in the MIDI port settings. Then Cantabile will send MIDI clock out through those devices.

BUT: C3 will only send clock when the master transport is running, not while it is stopped. So if you want to sync an external device, you’ll need to start the master transport at the beginning of a song, at least for some seconds until the tempo “sticks” with your keyboard.

If you’re playing backing tracks from master transport, this is easy; for my songs that require tempo info (syncing the delay on my external VoiceLive), I just use a “song-onLoad” binding that starts master transport and stops it again after three seconds.

Cheers,

Torsten

hm ok that’s what goes wrong every time :-/
@brad isn’t there a workaround for this?

The easiest workaround would be to simply start master transport at the beginning of every song (via a song->onLoad binding) and simply leave it running. Doesn’t really hurt…

1 Like

Does this binding seem right if I want to have the song tempo flash in the controller bar when loading each song?

Hi Dan,

Your binding would work but I would use this binding instead of the UI execute command direct.

since that parameter is not state dependent you could just make sure it turned on when the session loads by placing this one in the background rack and it save having to create a binding in all your songs. Once set on session start it will stay in that mode for the whole session.

I hope this helps

Cheers,

Dave

Yes, that helped a lot! Thank You.

I’m also trying to make a binding that will show the last midi note I triggered from my foot pedal midi controller, and have it show up in the left side button of the controller bar. Any ideas?

Hi Dan,

There is no way to show the note name but you can show the last midi note number (0-127). Maybe @brad knows a way or could rig something up but I don’t think it’s do-able at this time.

Dave

Currently not possible.

@dave_dore - curious how you would set it up to show last MIDI note number? The only way I can think is to map the note number to CC via a binding?

yep, that’s what we did, used an All Notes to continuous CC binding that went to the Onscreen Keyboard and used the cc(xx) script to display it. I set it up for Sergio I think a while back.

Yep. Unfortunately, there’s no way to tell Cantabile to format it as a note name, but it might be easy to add.

Turned out I lied… there is a way to do it with the formatMidiNote function which takes a note number and converts it to the name of the note:

$(formatMidiNote(cc(81,1))) 
2 Likes

Too cool, you’re the best @brad, Thanks!

So Dan, based on what Brad showed you can do the indicator by creating a binding like this for your pedal board (as the source) and place it in the Background rack.

then create a controller bar button with the script Brad provided and there you go.

and the button shows the last played note.

Dave

Wow thanks for that info! Actually the midi note number would be useful too. Could that be done in a similar way the midi note binding is done?

Yes to show the note number too you could add this cc script after the other or in the top field.

Hi Soundtweaker
I had made this setup a while ago, but I needed to have the notes in Italian as well.

Maybe it could be useful to someone here in the Forum, so I gladly post it.

italian notes

note buttons

musical & note numbers
This is the scrpt:

$( strpart( “Do;Do#;Re;Mib;Mi;Fa;Fa#;Sol;Sol#;La;Sib;Si”, cc( 32, 16 ) - ( cc( 32, 16 ) / 12 ) * 12 ) )$( ( cc( 32, 16 ) / 12 ) - 1 )

italian notes.zip (28.3 KB)

Sergio

Thanks this worked perfectly. Is there any way to make the midi note # font any bigger?

Hi Dan,

there is but you would change the font size for all characters used in the controller bar for whatever field you chose to modify for it. You would be modifying the Theme. @ClintGoss did a lot of research on modifying only the control bar fonts. The thread is here:

Cheers,

Dave

Thanks Dave. I also added a button to the controller bar for the audio engine status. I think it works but I’m trying to figure out how the status can say On or Off instead of True or False.