COVID-19 - When You Least Expect It šŸ˜·

If your serology is positive not really a worry from everything Iā€™ve seen. At least not from COVID anywayā€¦ :rofl:

As a side note, Iā€™ve seen studies that associate severity with vitamin D deficiencies. And the deficiency correlates with increased age due to staying inside, not drinking milk. Easy enough to fix: sunlight, supplements, drink your milk. As they say, an ounce of preventionā€¦

2 Likes

Definitely go outside in the afternoon - apparently just 10 minutes creates loads of vitamin D

1 Like

I caved in, and was talked into playing the outdoor gig this past Saturday. When I saw the stage setup, I was relieved none of the 300+ guests could get within 40 feet of us. It was deep in the Mississippi woods at the end of a dead end road. Lots of pickup trucks, four wheelers, Confederate and American flags, Cattle and Horses, Hank Jr and Merle Haggard music playing, and some amazing Barbeque. It never got wild, everyone was nice, and they all had a good time. Iā€™ve played many gigs like this throughout my life, and this was by far the most tame. We did, however, have one person shouting ā€œFree Birdā€.

This is my 1st gig since March 13th, and even though Iā€™ve been practicing, the ā€œrustā€ was evident to me. I made no changes in my C3 setup (which performed perfectly at my last gig), but ran into several routing problems. I havenā€™t unpacked my gear yet, but am anxious to figure out what I did wrong. Most of it was in my older VB3 1.4 setups.

It was really good to perform again. :mask::wink::sunglasses:

7 Likes

Outdoors IS generally seen as ā€œsafeā€

1 Like

Just an observationā€¦

Up until October, everyone I know, including myself, knew no one with the virus. Many thought this was really a minor thing that would pass. Knowing a few doctors and nurses on the front line kept reality in check.

Since October, I was exposed, a bandmate tested positive with minor symptoms, my sister and my oldest son have been hospitalized with it, and 2 nieces with minor symptoms. I could be wrong, but it seems to be on a path to eventually expose everyone.

I have also come to believe that I contracted it in June with food poisoning symptoms. Since then, Iā€™ve become riddled with serious lower back and leg problems, no taste or smell, intestinal problems, and an unintended loss of 30 lbs. Yet, I tested negative several times with a nose swab test. I was scheduled to test for antibodies, but those were cancelled due to the newest spike demands.

Unfortunately, no one knows for sure how it spreadsā€¦only theories. No one knows the long term damage. A doctor told me yesterday, that his office received a call from the state health dept. and the vaccine is being shipped next week for him and his staff. He had to give them an immediate decision to accept the shipment, which he did. But, he confessed he was very uneasy about taking it in the way it was rushed into production. Hopefully, this will be the beginning of normalcy.

Stay safe everyone.

4 Likes

The truly weird thing is how it hits different people in such different ways. Iā€™m pretty sure I had it about six months ago, lost all sense of taste and smell, but next day no problems at all. And of course the medical community is reporting that so many cases are completely asymptomatic. But for others its like getting hit by a Mac truck. I have a relative in their early 30ā€™s in the hospital and they are having a tough time. Hopefully the vaccines prove to be effective and safe. It would be really nice to have this in the rear view mirrorā€¦

3 Likes

Really hope your symptoms improve @Corky. Covid is spiking in Toronto, about an hour drive from where I live.

My anxiety level has been on the rise.
I just had a few months of hair pulling family matters to deal with during this pandemic. My mother 89, had and survived a stroke (but now has side effects). She spent 1 month in the hospital. We then had to scramble to find an assisted living retirement home for her. Not easy in the middle of a pandemic. Wouldnā€™t you know, the retirement home got infected with covid 2 weeks after she arrived there. So the retirement home went into 2 months of quarantine lock-down to get the case numbers down. Amazingly, the case numbers were reduced to ZERO two weeks ago. :slight_smile: I immediately got myself covid tested (negative) so I could go visit her for the first time in 3 months.

Although my mother did not came down with covid, I see the mental stress that has been placed on her. First dealing with her stroke, then some of her covid residents dying & and finally the loneliness of months of quarantined lock-down.

I myself have come through this chapter in life OK so far. Although, with some mental battle scars to show. Hoping next year will be better.

For everyoneā€™s sanity, yes, lets all hope the vaccine(s) do work, and are safe without side affects.

4 Likes

Sorry you guys are going thru that. I cared for my parents when we moved them in a retirement center. I couldnā€™t imagine going thru that in this time. My heart goes out to you and your Mom.

3 Likes

@Corky, @dave_dore and everyone else suffering through this, my thoughts are with you all.

Regarding covid vaccines, everything Iā€™ve read suggests theyā€™re very safeā€¦ but even the safest vaccines will have adverse side effects for some people. Itā€™s a bit of a conundrum: vaccines are massively beneficial for society as a whole, but for a very small number of people they can be devastating.

This is why vaccine injury compensation programs are so important and must look after such patients extremely well - itā€™s their suffering that benefits the rest of society and they must be looked after.

We need to think of vaccination more as a social responsibility and less as a personal protection - even though itā€™s both.

That said, if given the choice between a vaccine that hasnā€™t caused any deaths and very few side effects or risking getting an extremely infectious virus that kills ~2% and long lasting negative effects in those who survive, it should be obvious what to choose.

Stay safe everyoneā€¦ Itā€™s been a tough year and thereā€™s still a long way to go but if the majority of us can do the right thing Iā€™m sure by this time next year weā€™ll all be in a much better place.

7 Likes

Sadly, there seems to be no lack of people who learned everything they know about genetics from Star Trek

Doctor: ā€œHis DNA is being resequencedā€

<this weekā€™s butt monkey turns into a giant salamander and somehow infects his captain, with whom he has a clutch of young>

Um . . . . right . . .

Wash your hands, take proper precautions, etc etc etc and the vaccine if you can. VERY few people with turn into giant salamanders who breed with their starship captain . . .

2 Likes

Interesting you mention salamanders in the context of genetics. As the owners of massive C-values in many cases, as Spock would say, ā€œfascinatingā€.

1 Like

Threshold is notorious as one of the worst episodes of Voyager, though still think TNGā€™s The Royale is the all time ST-verse stinker . . .

TNG first season is terrible. Second season just a bit better. From third season, better.
Voyagerā€¦ lots of dumb stories

1 Like

The Outrageous Okona was a steaming pile of suck. But hey, I think the Inner Light was a terrrible episode and that always comes in at #1. No pun intended.

Maybe not #1, but The Inner Light is a good episode. I mean, there are many worse ones

Iā€™m over 70. I would take any vaccine. I am concerned about how anyone will know if a vial has been compromised, especially with the ones that have to be keep unusually cold. Currently, I limit my outings to walks and grocery shopping both no more that 3 times a week, always wearing a mask, and staying away from people ā€“ some who come and stand right next to me, argh!

To be honest with you my friends, i follow these topics here and all the Corona shit all year.
Iā€™ve been holding my breath.
Itā€™s something that shouldnā€™t be discussed over here. As it makes me feel am alien. Iā€™m one of those weirdos who doesnā€™t trust the vaccine and think, no worse, Iā€™m very sure weā€™re being pushed into a dystopian totalitaire techno nightmare.
I have my examined reasons for that. The Great Reset to start with. And the disturbing words Gates says.

Now again, i donā€™t want to start a discussion over here. I respect your opinions and hope you do mine.
Just thought you should know, not all people think alike.
And the main topic here would stay friendship and music.
Please bring me back in a time capsule to the somehow free world we had before this horror.

Sorry @So_Godly , I cannot respect your opinions.
I respect you as a human being.
But things you reported are for me bullshit.
And they are dangerous because they are fake and can push people to do bad things.
Like flat earth believers.

1 Like

Among lots of against-science nonsense, you said only one true sentence, about the purpose of this so amazing place.
Nothing personal with you.

mRNA vaccine technology has been around for years, but up to now has always been considered too dangerous for human use. So those who hold reservations have a valid basis if this is the reason why they have reservations. The bigger picture is we are now going to see if mRNA vaccines are ready for prime time use in humans or notā€¦since they are now in prime time. Letā€™s all hope and pray (if that is something you subscribe to) that they work well with acceptable levels of ill effects.

As for the virus, I continue to be baffled just how differently it hits people. A kid at my daughterā€™s school had his dad die last week from it, apparently without comorbidities. The entire rest of the family also had it and all were asymptomatic. Just bizarre.