Corky's Guitar Amp Sim Tips and Tweaks Page 🎸

Personally, I find these input level discussions a bit academic - unless you absolutely need to reproduce the sound and behavior of a physical amp, this can be too theoretical for my taste.

Never having owned one of these tube monsters in their physical form, my approach is a bit more pragmatic:

• I use a special active DI box (Rupert Neve RNDI) between my guitar and my audio interface for impedance reasons
  • set my interface gain so that the level of my loudest guitar (humbucker pups) is safely below clipping and so that I hear no adverse effect on tone from the interface gain. The Babyface / Fireface preamp is very transparent across a broad range, so that’s rarely an issue. Now I have a healthy, un-distorted clean guitar DI signal - good so far!
  • inside Cantabile I use plugin and route gain levels on the way to the guitar amp rack to get a reasonable level to my guitar and pedal plugins - whatever that reasonable level may be, depending on the amp / pedal sim

I don’t really care if the level is “perfect” - to me, there is no “perfect” input level. Do I really want my Strat to come in far quieter than my PRS? No - in “real life”, I’d probably boost it with an EQ pedal to not have to constantly change my amp settings to accommodate to the lower pickup output of the Strat. Inside Cantabile, this is far easier: just turn the route gain up by a couple dB for the songs using the Strat…

So, to me there is no “perfect” level - just one that makes the guitar amp do what I expect it to; if a clean sound isn’t clean enough or an overdriven sound becomes too “wooly” due to too-high input levels, I’ll simply turn the gain down on the route to the plugin so that things clean up a bit - done! It’s all in the ears and in knowing (roughly) how an amp works, and how it sounds when driven too hard.

And of course things become a bit more complicated when using your guitar plugins in different setups with different audio interfaces - that will actually require adjusting input gain using a metering plugin, so that the plugins get the same input level on both setups…

This “perfect level” discussion makes sense when you want to re-create a sound from a “real-life” amp in a plugin - that’s where the “correct” input level really matters - input level too high makes clean sounds driven and gainy sounds too driven; input level too low will make everything sound too anemic.

I find the content Rhett Shull video a bit too complicated in thinking: you have a healthy un-distorted signal from your guitar, and your plugin sound is too “driven” - why would you start fiddling with audio interface gain to bring the level down (and de-grade your signal by reducing the bit depth)? Why not simply use the nice and friendly “Input” knob within the plugin? This achieves the same effect: it reduces the level that goes into the plugin processing - and it doesn’t require you to fiddle with your interface’s gain.

It’s really all about what level your plugin “expects” - a lot of plugins expect -18dB “digital” as the “zero” for their dynamic processing. So if this is what your plugin expects and your levels from your interface are higher - simply turn them down inside the digital domain - no need to turn down your interface input gain! This is really what gain staging inside a digital environment is about: give each plugin along the chain the level it “expects” to work best - that’s where Cantabile’s route gain sliders come in handy!

Some plugins tell you what they expect - with others it will always be trial and error - especially when chaining plugins from different vendors. Trust your ears!

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

BTW: along the lines of “good levels”, I have a “guitar input” rack in my setup that has different rack states for different guitars. My PRS goes through that rack unchanged, but my Tele (that I use as a backup in gigs in case a string breaks) gets a volume boost and a bit of EQ processing to bring the tone closer to my PRS.

The rack state of this “input” rack isn’t controlled by the containing song, so it stays across songs. When a string breaks on my PRS, I simply change the rack state to “Tele backup” and plug in my Tele, and guitar tone with all my guitar patches will be close enough to get through the current set and re-string in the break. No need to fiddle with input gain on my interface or use a pedal to boost the Tele to PRS levels - all done inside Cantabile!

Digital world just works a bit differently.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Agreed (I like academic discussions, though! but I agree with the second part of your sentence! :wink:)

This is the main downside of the suggested method and a very good reason for doing otherwise. Maybe it’s better to first listen to the clean sound coming directly from the interface and rise the gain until it is a bit below clipping or until you find that the preamp starts colouring your sound (if that happens at all…).

What I get from this discussion is mainly this: if I have troubles getting a good clean sound from an amp sim (even when the amp setting would suggest that I should get it), then it could be that I am driving the sim with a too loud input signal. I was not aware of this behaviour, probably because I am just starting playing the electric guitar and I have never used a real guitar amp in all of my life! :grin:

Gabriel

What I get out of the discussions is let the sims act like a real amp. Using all the knobs on the sim as in reality works, and sounds, much better without a lot gain staging thru the interface. Basically, in reality, the input of the pickups should be all one needs. I am probably not making sense with my words, but I know what my mind is saying. :laughing:

Thinking a bit more about input gain…since the signal to noise ratio of the guitar signal is not so high, you really shouldn’t need to rise the gain so that it almost clips. As soon as the noise level of the input signal dominates over the noise level of the ADC, a further increase of the gain does not improve the quality of the digitized signal (the signal-to-noise ratio will be the same as the input analog signal). The extra ADC bits that you use increasing the gain further have no beneficial effect.

Gabriel

1 Like

Exactly what I was attempting to convey. You said it clearly!

exactly! Give yourself some peace of mind and leave a healthy headroom for all your guitars - and then leave input gain alone.

Issues around bit resolution and noise floor may come to be relevant, though, when you actively work with your guitar’s volume pot to clean up your sound. But to get away from the too-theoretical considerations, just use Cantabile’s recording function and record a couple of volume pot fades. If you can’t hear any audible artifacts at the lower end of these fades, you’re good…

I bought an IK Axe I/O Solo (USB audio interface) several years ago on a hunch that it might be better for guitar and bass than my Behringer UMC202HD. From day one I’ve been very pleased with it. It sounds great with the PA (Nembrini) Ampeg B15N plugin for bass.

The Axe I/O does work very well. I got one to do the online rehearsal thing during Covid.
It’s these little tweaky bits being discussed for guitar I don’t have the grey matter or patience to work out.
For me the Fractal FM9 is insane. It’s my interface for guitar, Yamaha keys and Cantabile. It has a USB input block to add effects to Cantabile, switches, blinky lights…
Sorry I’m rambling

As a self confessed tube snob with Marshalls, Hiwatt, Laney but also with a healthy selection of amp sims and IRs, what I can tell you from my perspective is that many sims have too much gain when you set the preamp level to just under clipping with guitar.

The Nembrini family (his own and PA/UAD) are particularly prone to this IME. Also, many are too “woofy” and have too much bottom end (again Nembrini is an example). Mercurial is probably the closest of the ones I use when setting the preamp to just under clipping and the low end is about right. Softube is hot set this way IME and lows tend to be close to a bit woofy IME. I will add the Nembrini family can sound very good when gain and lows are set properly IME. Neural is good on both counts IME and don’t feel as sensitive to these settings.

Another thing to consider is that some of the actual amps may have a hotter input than you really want. Solution with sims is easy though, just lower the preamp input. Bottom line is don’t be afraid to set things lower and see what you get, IMO.

I throw this out there since from my perspective I can see how it would be difficult and ambiguous setting the preamp level into a sim without having the reference of actual tube amps. For me, I can “earball it” and it will sound fine in seconds, but I get it why that is going to be more of a challenge for people without tube amp experiences. So maybe this helps someone a little since I have a lot of time with both the real things and the sims.

As with everything audio, jmo, ymmv, etc.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried out the new DoubleReverb by Nembrini?

I have never owned a Fender Twin (neither any other real amp, to be honest :rofl:) but it sounds pretty nice to my ears and (at 29.9$ intro price…though you have to add VAT to that, in Europe…) it was a no brainer for me.

What do the experts think?

Gabriel

1 Like

Very nice! Thanks for posting. I’ve played thru many Fenders in my time, and the Twin was always a favorite in my area. I will need to check it out. BTW, I have a few Fenders in my collection. Don’t want to haul them anymore. :cold_sweat:

2 Likes

What do you think about S-GEAR?

I used it in the past with AAS-Strum GS, but now that I use the UJAM guitars I tend to avoid multiple sim amps, so I use it way less

I am using S-Gear occasionally, but my recent sweetheart is STL Tones.