Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

Hi Guys.
First I apologize for the exaggerated resourcefulness! You are right in saying that you tackle one problem at a time.
Sometimes I get the euphoria of having made progress and then go on on my own.
Then I will try not to be in a hurry !!! Basically I had solved the “Leslie problem” with B5.
I understood how to stop the engine and associated it with the buttons at the bottom of the Cantabile screen.
Having taken the VB3 license I tried to see if my tests were the same as with B5.
My mistake with you was to simply share it right away instead of waiting to fix it.
Ok, I understand that I have to go slow …
Greetings to all and thanks for understanding
Sergio

1 Like

Hi TorstenH,
your suggested values are similar to mine.
Thank you for your suggestion
Sergio

Hi guys
If it helps, Guido gave me some information on CCs for VB3.
As for the Slow-Fast command, by default it is assigned to n. 1 (modulation wheel)
Internally there is also a second CC number assigned to the Run / Stop function only which is CC # 68

Latching must be done externally, i.e. it must be the hardware controller that decides whether the button acts in a switch mode or in a pulsating mode.

Regards
Sergio

This is a repeat of what has previously been explained to you here. More than likely, Guido knows very little about Cantabile, but he knows his plugin very well.

That process is done within Cantabile, and into the controller. Again, explained to you previously by several people here. Sometimes, the controller will need some changes in settings to make it work. That is why you were graciously sent a manual for your controller. It is up to you to follow advice, read the manual, and make the changes.

I am glad you finally got B5 working. I doubt that anyone here has your particular controller, so it is difficult, at best, to give advice on how to program it. I own several older keyboard controllers, and if I decided to start using them with Cantabile, it would take several hours of reading the manual and testing before I could get things working properly. That is exactly why I bought some modern controllers to escape most of the programming headaches.

Regards

Corky

3 Likes

Hi Corky.
I would like to make some small clarifications, to give an idea of ​​what I am managing to achieve thanks to all of you with C3.
I appreciate your advice not to rush too much. In fact, sometimes you are right to hold back my resourcefulness.
I would also like to let you understand what my goals are, why I am passionate about C3.
In short: if you don’t understand, I like Hammond, an unattainable desire since I was a boy, penniless and full of dreams.
Today we are lucky enough to have this whole world available, so I take advantage of it.
The first thing I learned was the ability to have lots of Hammond sound VSTs available.
I learned to try them with the first VST Hosts, up to C2 and now to C3. With Cantabile 3 I learned to collect them and try them with my Pa80.
I think I have no less than 15 Hammond VSTs available, between good and less good quality.
Then I learned how to create SetLists, then the States, and now the buttons (to associate them with CC # …).
The question I asked Guido was simple, I just wanted to know which was the CC for the stop, the brand of the Leslie command. What you read in the post was just a copy and paste.
What I have learned and created allows me to have a unique command for the various Leslie of the various VSTs.
The photo I posted highlights better than I am explaining.
What I know is thanks to you, each of you gave me ideas.
I don’t know if the idea of ​​the buttons is mine alone, or if it can be useful to someone.
But I learned and created them thanks to you.
I have therefore achieved one of my goals.
I hope I haven’t bored you with this long post.
Sergio

You sound somewhat like me. I have numerous Hammond plugins, but narrowed my usable list to 5. The others were horrible, and the Leslie in the others was cheesy sounding at best.

I started playing organs when I was 14…55 years ago. I was a Trumpet, Bass, and Guitar player at the time. But, I heard Booker T Jones, and the soul music here. I immediately knew what I wanted to play. I was fortunate to meet him in my later years, and he kindly gave me a few tips.

Concerning using a button to engage the brake, I had a problem getting the 9 buttons in one of my controllers to work properly in Cantabile. Thanks to the advice from @Torsten, I went into my controller’s settings, and after a few failures, I got everything to behave as I planned. I never had to do that with any of my other controllers. It took me awhile, but I stayed focused, read the manual, and watched a few videos. @Torsten put me on the correct path, but I had to do the work on my own. The path through Cantabile is not always easy, but it is always rewarding.

Cheers

Corky

Hey Corky, what’s your list? :grin:
Mine is:

• IK B-3X
  • GSi VB3 (and VB3 II)
  • AcousticSamples B5
  • GG Audio Blue3

You just listed them! :grin:

The new VB3 II was scheduled for release in April 2021 (according to GSI Facebook). I am figuring it will be similar to their VB3m version. If so, VB3 II will be retired from my list, and reside with B4, Charlie, NI Vintage Organs, UVI Retro Organ Suite, HaNan, CollaB3, Arturia B3 V, 8Dio Vintage Studio Organ, Air DB-33, Adam Monroe Rotary Organ…just to mention a few I’ve long retired. There are others, but these are the ones I remember off hand.

2 Likes

If you skip VB3II it‘s exactly my fab 4 :wink:
Funny that VB3 still seems to be used a lot after all these years…

1 Like

VB3 is great for many things, and has that great growl that others can only come close to. It, by no doubt, is the standard that others try to achieve. VB3 is over a decade old, yet it still stands up, and is very easy on resources. BUT, it doesn’t have the overtones I look for.
At first, VB3 II really caught my attention because it had the frequencies I expected, although it lost the warmness of VB3. VB3m is listed as a VB3 app. Other than the new platform, it sounds somewhat like VB3, but has the VB3 II GUI. We will just have to wait to see what GSI comes up with. VB3 is a mainstay in my earlier songs because that is what I am used to hearing in those songs. Newer songs get B-3X, B5, or Blue3…just by what tones I am looking for.
B5 is my 1st goto when looking for a Gospel/Soul type sound. It usually nails it. Blue3 is good for Rock, and experimental things, and can cut thru in driven songs. B-3X is an overall. I use it a lot in jazz, and Booker T stuff. I refrain using it in setups with multiple instruments, only because of the CPU load, which is usually no problem.

3 Likes

Ahh, you are stabbing me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

Totally agree @Corky

B5: perfect for Soul/Gospel

Blue3: for Rock etc. I like some of the oberdrive sounds, does a good job in Manfred Mannish Sings (at least for me)

B3-X: becoming my workhorse to go

VB3II: high hopes when released and yes: more overtones, but whatever I tried it never sounded right. There was always this synthetic touch, never really blended smoothless into songs. Maybe it’s just me but VB3II is simply not mine…

VB3: this is a ridfle for me. Yes, there are some overtones missing but it works! Tried to get my head around this and separated stages: deactivated reverb, overdrive leslie and tried to compare the pure engine to other engines and was surprised as for my taste VB3 sounds like there is a sort of phasing or whatever you want to call it is going on which makes the sound bit more harmonic, smooth, sweet. So I totally like the idea of an update of VB3II including the character of VB3 & additional harmonics. I keep fingers crossed…

Regards, Volker

1 Like

My 1st B5 v3 Rack has a resident binding rack for my go to controller (drawbars and switches). I liked it so much that I did the same for my B-3X rack. I finished working on it 2 weeks ago. Blue3 will be next when I get some extra time in between gigs and rehearsals.

2 Likes

IK B-3X

GSi VB3 (and VB3 II)

AcousticSamples B5

GG Audio Blue3

I can say that these are the best for me too.
Then I manipulate them in my own way, according to my sensitivities and needs.
I like the enveloping and majestic church-like sound, but also a little hard rock, a little Brian Auger.
I’m preparing some dedicated setlists, as I like best. I must say that choosing among these which is the best is not easy.

I would like to ask you, before I get in trouble, one thing about CC midi. I happen to see in some CC midi list some CCs not commonly used by any VST. Is it possible to use them without problems?

Sergio

In general, I’d stay away from CC0…69 - these are typically interpreted in a standardized way by instruments, and they can get you in trouble if you route them to a synth or VSTi.

But just using them to communicate between a controller keyboard and Cantabile is less of a problem when the CCs don’t get routed to an instrument. I’d still stay away from the LSB/MSB combinations, and I’d definitely avoid CC0 and CC32 (bank select).

Safest to use are generally CC 70…95

Lastly: CC120…127 are so-called “channel mode” messages - stuff like “all notes off” or “poly mode”. Avoid, unless you really know what you are doing.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Same here - the usual suspects. I haven’t been using AS B5 in my live set - it takes up too much acoustic space for my taste; difficult to work in a rock band setup. Also heavy on the resources.

Haven’t really made friends with VB3 II yet, so it’s there in my recording setup, but rarely used.

The original VB3 is still in a lot of my layered sounds - it has a nice way of filling up a sound without becoming too dominant.

Blue3 is becoming my all-purpose organ - relatively resource-efficient and good to massage both into layer sounds as well as for solo purposes. Good variety of drive flavors, too

Lastly B-3X - this is my solo beast, whenever the Hammond has a very visible (audible…) role in an arrangement. Often paired with the Blue3 for the more “pedestrian” tasks in the arrangement - layering, comping, filling - while B-3X delivers the leads.

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

Hey Torsten, I’m “happy” from 70 to 95 …

Torsten, as always you have been very clear with the CC explanations.
For sounds, VB3-II is very simple and light as a CPU. While B5 is fine but CPU heavy.
Maybe because he has to work with Uviworkstation and then in Cantabile?
finally I really like B-3X. It has very sweet sounds and a wonderful Leslie.
Sergio

I started using B-3X almost exclusively for probably a year but I go back and listen to all the recordings with VB3 and I’m always amazed at how wonderful it sounded and part of me thinks I should be going back LOL

1 Like