Cantabile 4 Alpha Available

Thanks for this info. I haven’t looked into this yet and I’m not ignoring it, but first focusing on issues that are affecting usage (like crashes and usability issues).

In the meantime, could you test something for me:

1. Close all instances of Cantabile
  2. Go to your Cantabile 4 installation folder and rename CantabileCore.dll to CantabileCore.dll.save
  3. Go to your Cantabile 3 installation folder and copy the CantabileCore.dll file from there
  4. Go back to your Cantabile 4 installation folder and paste the .dll from Cantabile 3.

Does the performance change?

Brad

This wasn’t intentional but won’t be fixed in today’s build. I’ll put it on the list for tomorrow.

I couldn’t reproduce this, but I have made similar fixes to other dialogs. Please retest in 4003 and let me know. (Note for the other dialogs this only happened on the second a subsequent opening of the dialog - not the first time).

Build 4003 up now…

3 Likes

Great work Brad, custom button dialog boxes fixed, binding colors fixed & custom button font spacing fixed. However the popup sliders on the controller bar buttons have disappeared on every boot now, I’ll see if they come back but suspect some problem there. Thanks for your efforts!

Dave

Yes this works Dave, Thanks

1 Like

Hi Brad:
Display Adapters: Intel UHD Graphics & NVDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Oops. Forgot to look at that one. Will check it out in the morning.

1 Like

You’re having the same issue on multiple machines, or multiple cards on the same machine?

@Brad. Following these, steps the CPU usage went from 47%-52% at idle to 29%-33% where it was with C3.

Thanks.

Brad,

That’s weird. CantabileCore.dll (3) and CantabileCore.dll (4) look the same, except the version bytes. At least, on a first quick comparison. Anyway, I don’t have the problem Richard reported.

Uh, of course, I’m not doing reverse engineering. :slightly_smiling_face:

Thanks for your effort, love Cantabile 4.

I figured i should test out Cantabile 4, but i’m not having a lot of luck with it.
I downloaded and ran SetupCantabile-4003.exe (first time install of Cantabile 4), and fired up 64-bit Cantabile 4.

The theme i’m getting is black text on a (nearly) black background - can barely make out that there is some text there. I’ve never messed with custom themes, so would expect to see the same standard dark theme i’ve always used.

OpenGL is not enabled.

Also missing most icons, buttons, etc. — noted in log.txt with numerous entries like

00002486 430 [05316:2]: Failed to load theme class ‘MainToolbar.RecordButton’.
main.gtl(1626,13): Error in parameter 1 calling ‘select_drawable’
- main.gtl(1630,17): unknown identifier ‘Checked’

I thought maybe something might have gotten left out of Build 4003, but running Build 4001 and 4002 didn’t seem to fix anything.

Any ideas what’s going on ? Does Cantabile 4 not run on Windows 7 ?

Just my observations,
– Jimbo

Cantabile 4003 on Win7 fresh install, no openGL, black theme.

Oh really? Thanks - that’s good to know.

I’ve tested on Windows 7 and didn’t see these issues. It’s definitely related to loading the theme, but off hand I can’t think what might be causing this.

A couple of questions:

1. If you download the .zip package, extract to somewhere other than your normal installation folder and run the contained Cantabile.exe does it behave the same?
  2. Are you using a custom settings folder? (as described here)
  3. I presume your settings were copied over from Cantabile 3 - were you using a custom theme in v3?

In the meantime, I’ll add some more logging that might help identify the problem.

Brad

I’ve fixed the sliders in the controller bar for the next build. What do we think about having the slider appear on the button:

(you can still click anywhere in the button to control it).

1 Like

I like seeing it like your picture and losing the popup because it often blocks the view of something else I want to see. I vote for it, will it have a minimum width?

Dave

Ah, the popup still happens… its just that you can see the slider position now without having to click it first. I guess I could make the popup optional.

There’s no minimum width.

1 Like

Build 4004 available now.

I looked into this a little today and I have no idea what’s going on here. The build and compile settings and tool versions for both C3 and C4 for CantabileCore are identical. The only thing I changed in Core is the way exceptions are reported through the crash reporter which shouldn’t have any affect on performance.

I’ll keep digging…