But seriously, what do you guys play?

This is carried on from the thread “New Feature Per-song Tempo and Transpose Overrides” as not to further hijack thread from OP @brad.

In response to @So_Godly

Memphis mostly. Did a few this year in, and around Chicago, and St. Louis, but those were sit in gigs for a younger band on their 1st tour.

The songs I’ve been playing recently are from early 60’s thru 90’s. A few are somewhat current. You also have to understand, most (not all) of these cats I perform with had their heydays in the late 60’s and 70’s. Many of them toured and recorded with famous musicians of the time. Many are still excellent musicians, but never played with a click track, or had to deal with arpeggiators defining tempo…and never will.

There are tons of songs without defining arps, and I haven’t met a guitar picker yet that was enthusiastic about synths, although I have started to change a few minds. Teaching a drummer ( with 50 years experience of being the sole timekeeper) to resign to a metronome this late in life, will get an immediate middle finger to the face. I do know several great younger musicians who basically grew up on click tracks, but not many places available to perform their genre, and keyboards/6-string guitars do not fit in their repertoire.

I can usually handle most covers thrown at me, but other people can’t. It takes rehearsal time, which is very limited for me this time of year. Just thinking of my song setups, I cover a lot of classic rock, from early 60s thru 70s, psychedelic rock, some progressive rock, some metal, alternative, soul, funk, Motown, a few disco, Blues, 80s rock, a little country and southern rock, 90s…and other somewhat undefinable tunes, like Steely Dan, Peter Gabriel, Floyd, Toto, Bowie, Kansas, Boston…it goes on, but I’ll stop here.

2 Likes

yeah, love that genre also. Add Foreigner, Journey, Whitesnake also to that list :wink:

This is the playlist where I have lots of arps:

0 ### CHEZKIT ###
1 WHERE THE STREETS HAVE
2 CANDY CANDY
3 LET’S HAVE A PARTY
4 JOHNNY B GOOD
5 9 TO 5
6 YOU SHOOK ME ALL NIGHT LONG
7 GO YOUR OWN WAY
8 HAPPY
9 ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
10 HOT STUFF
11 BAD TOUCH
12 HEAVY CROSS
13 CALL ME
14 WHEN THE LADY SMILES
15 POKERFACE
16 WALKING ON SUNSHINE
17 EEN STER
18 LEEF MEDLEY
19 THE LOOK
20 OH LALALA
21 90s MEDLEY CHEZ KIT
22 KIDS IN AMERICA
23 NUTBUSH
24 80s MEDLEY CHEZ KIT
25 UPTOWN FUNK

Hairmetal medley

26 HAIRMETAL MED CHEZ KIT
34 I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU
27 YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME

=== BIS ===

28 VIVA LA VIDA2
29 LIKE THE WAY I DO
30 NOBODY’S WIFE
31 I NEED NEVER GET OLD

=== extra ===

32 === PAUZE ===
33 GANGSTA MEDLEY

In that otherband I play similar stuff, but with lots of transpose and tempo changes lol

0 ### VIP PARTYBAND ###
1 LET ME ENTERTAIN YOU
2 I GOT THE MUSIC IN ME
3 CHASING CARS
4 MERCY
5 NUTBUSH
6 BABY WHEN YOURE GONE
7 PAPILLON
  • Abba Mix *

8 ABBA MEDLEY VIP

• Disco Mix *
9 RAPPERS DELIGHT
10 ANOTHER ONE BITES
11 LAST NIGHT THE DJ
12 LE FREAK
  • Funk Mix *
13 UPTOWN FUNK
14 STOP IN THE NAME
15 WHAT’S THE PRESSURE
16 GHOSTBUSTERS
17 GET LUCKY
18 BILLIE JEAN
19 EYE OF THE TIGER - VIP
20 SWEET DREAMS
21 SMELLS LIKE medley
  • We found Love Mix *

22 VIP WE FOUND LOVE mix

• PUNK MIX *
23 I WANT YOU TO WANT ME
24 FLY
25 SKANDAL
26 KIDS IN AMERICA
27 BASKET CASE
28 ONE WAY OR ANOTHER
29 SEX ON FIRE
  • ROCK MIX *
30 SUMMER OF 69
31 LIVING ON A PRAYER
32 YOU GIVE LOVE A BAD NAME
33 I WAS MADE FOR LOVING YOU
34 VERTIGO
35 ARE YOU GONNA GO
  • RADIOS MIX *
36 RIEN A CHANGE
37 PARADISE CITY
38 SHOUT
39 LEEF MEDLEY

=== BIS ===

40 NOBODY’S WIFE
41 ANGELS
46 HIGHWAY TO HELL
  • QUEEN MIX ** VLAAMSE MIX ** SHARONA MIX *
44 VIP Vlaamse Mix
45 CHRIS LOMME
43 I LOVE RnR
  • EXTRA *
47 EEN TEKEN VAN LEVEN
48 BLAUW
49 VIP CLUB MIX
50 VIP PATTATE MIX
51 VIP 90s 2FAB mix

I do a church gig on Sundays, mainly playing a B3, and some D-50 pads. I’m also in charge of Ableton with the click and backing tracks. Everyone in the band plays well but we also have several old-schoolers that just bitch about having a click and tracks at all. And everyone plays not on the click in their own way. Our drummer is a young guy and plays pretty well but his time just isn’t that good so he pushes and pulls both. The bass player and 2nd keyboard player are married and in their 60s and both play about a year behind the beat. The guitar player tends to be a consistent few milliseconds on top of it. The end result is chaotic.

2 Likes

HA! Think I’ve been there.

My church gig in Austin is really (20-30) young guys that keep asking me why we can’t just all stand around a single big condenser mic “like the Grand Ole Opery when it was good”. So hip to be square and really, really retro. I’ve been trying to get them to use in-ears. “(OK, Boomer) It’s just too distracting.”

1 Like

I’m in two cover bands.

One is “my own” outfit, plays classic rock & more (nothing’s really safe from us if we can make it sound kind of rock…). One or two arpeggios (e.g. Radio Ga-Ga bass), but these are dicey, since our drummer only uses the LivePrompter metronome to pick up the correct tempo at the start, but then plays freely. Doesn’t hurt too much in Radio Ga-Ga; he usually falls in line with the bass riff… But mostly, we try to avoid sounding over-produced - there’s usually a way to make most songs work without sequencers or arpeggiators. I do sync delay times with song tempo, but a bit of a deviation doesn’t hurt there.

My other band does 50s-60s (a little 70s) R&B, so no need for any arpeggios (very little need for synth sounds at all, except for one or the other funky number). But a lot of prominent keyboard parts, so nice to have cool tools like Velvet, Addictive Keys and B-3X…

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Welsh Floyd, if, heaven forbid, we ever get going again, doing all the Pink Floyd Classics.

If you know the PULSE live album/DVD , then that is what we did for a long time, including Dark Side of the Moon from start to finish. We are revamping the set to drop the post Wall 80s/90s material (which is good, but not classic Floyd), and are slipping in the entire first side of the Wall, Welcome to the Machine, Pigs on the Wing (a rare version that only exists on an American 8 track cassette release that splices both parts together with a Snowy White guitar solo) and Echoes - I have always wanted to do that one.

As we do the new songs, I am slowly dropping in more VSTs,

And my own Spectral Streams/Echoes original material hopefully next year.

Sven, I played some of those songs! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hey Sven, I understand why you use arps in your particular situations and certain songs. But AC/DC, Bon Jovi, Chuck Berry, Bryan Adams, and Guns n Roses? If you have a full band, arps in those songs would be sacrilege in my part of the world. :laughing:
80s ZZ Top, and some of The Who, you might get away with, but here, I would be tarred and feathered, especially by the local musicians. :scream: Glad it works for you though.

1 Like

Here is my set list at last night’s gig:

1 Get Ready
2 Spooky
3 Soul Man
4 Mary Jane’s Last Dance
5 Sunshine Of Your Love
6 Swingin’
7 I Got A Line On You
8 I Drink Alone
9 Sing A Simple Song
10 Baby It’s You
11 Rock This Town

BREAK 1

12 I’ll Be Around
13 Listen To Her Heart
14 Chain Of Fools
15 Ain’t No Sunshine
16 Green Eyed Lady
17 Never Been To Spain
18 Long Gone
19 How Long

BREAK 2

20 Can’t Find My Way Back Home
21 Saturday Night’s Alright For Fighting
22 Don’t Let The Sun Catch You Crying
23 Black Magic Woman
24 A Whiter Shade Of Pale
25 I’ll Feel A Whole Lot Better
26 Take Me To The River
27 Shakin’ All Over

BREAK 3

28 Play That Funky Music
29 I Can’t Stand The Rain
30 LaGrange
31 No Matter What
32 Handle With Care
33 Badge
34 Walking On A Thin Line
35 Old Man Down The Road

We were playing for an older crowd, thus the selections. The guitarist in this band is a Tom Petty fan, as you can tell.

3 Likes

There’s many presets in synthmaster for pink Floyd. And i did program some for synth1 and avenger also.
It’s just too iconic :heart_eyes:
I also have some presets expansions with cover sounds. I love to emulate them.
But since we’re playing with some good drummers, it’s fun to play on click with arpeggios and do stuff i never could before. It just fills up the bass very nice when don’t right.
I use synth1 for them.

1 Like

I did look at a preset pack for the Korg Kronos when Welsh Floyd restarted in 2014, but, apart from a massive intro patch for Shine On You Crazy Diamond, I programmed all of my own sounds. Likewise now I am moving into using more VSTis. Welcome to the Machine is nailed by the Arturia Mini other than it appears to miss envelope re triggering, and the Arturia Farfisa from the TT7E Echorec emulation is as close to the original early, pre Hammond, Floyd sound that I have ever heard. :slight_smile:

Yeah i admit they aren’t perfect, although i made some pretty versions for it. It’s a matter of taste also
But i think on a mix they do well.
Listen here
http://www.encountersmedia.be/synth1-godly-famous-bank---rock

2 Likes

Just to be clear, I was not talking about your presets :slight_smile: but ones for the Kronos. I quite like your crazy diamond one, and Mama was also a standout for me, when I had a quick listen just now

Hi Sven,

I always thought for some reason your preset packs were for VPS Avenger. Your Synth1 presets sound great. From time to time I’ve put together presets for some of those songs (usually following someone’s instructions) - it’s fun and instructional but time consuming. Will get your preset pack instead next time.

Doug

1 Like

Thx Doug! :heart_eyes:
Yeah i have some more in my drawer for synth1.
It’s not a perfect synth but still after all those years it sounds so good. Basic but good. Warm.
My avenger presets are down atm to update for the new version. Will come the next week’s.
I have Moog, Prophet, Arp, Roland, korg, Yamaha and famous sounds presets coming up.

Congrats on these sounds - you’re definitely a gifted sound programmer! Will dive into these sounds (bought them immediately) - lots to learn from here!

And thanx for reviving my interest in Synth1 - hadn’t taken it so seriously previously, given the broad range of better-looking, more modern offerings on the market, but Synth1 can definitely sound great, looks easy to program and has a low CPU footprint that could make it a go-to-machine for live usage.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thx for your order :slight_smile:
Yeah, I keep on saying it, it’s a simple but fantastic synth. Lately I’ve been doing lot’s of 80s stuff, and actually synth1 can easily emulate that warm strings/synth, like we find on the Roland Juno’s etc… It has that detune and chorus. Next to the FM, ARP functions. And indeed such a low footprint.
I have all the big boys (Falcon, Avenger, Rapid,…) but I keep on returning to synth1.
I actually redid some of these sounds in Avenger because I thought it would sound way better, but when I created the mix, I was astonished that Synth1 still was the best :slight_smile:

Something I say when reaching out to venues is “Well, we are a band with a completely new concept. A bunch of old guys dressed in black playing classic rock.” That always generates a laugh.

We have embarked on an idea that seems to have taken Hollywood clubs by storm, and we are getting a great response. I am copying the concept put out by a band Yachtly Crew at https://www.yachtleycrew.com/

We introduce songs in a Yacht Rock set with So Into You, Ventura Highway, Private Eyes, Africa, Heart and Soul (Huey Lewis), How Sweet it is to be Loved By You, How Long had this been going on (ACE) and some others. When we begin a gig with this set, it seems to catch the audience in a pre-dance mood of drinking, before we do our regular songs. We vet our songs by audience reaction and quickly drop songs that consistently don’t get an audience response.

We use Ableton as backing tracks that we craft not to stand on their own (keep them sparse) and we want it that way.

For old guys that don’t like the click, I say, “Part of music is the rhythm. That is why real musicians practice with a metronome (if you even practice, by the way). Not everyone who draws pictures is an artist and not everyone who plays music is a musician. Good day sir.” I literally cannot stand such incompetence that one would be hindered by a click, or cannot keep pace with it (unless you are one of the greats with whom I will never play).

2 Likes

I’m worked with many drummers who pull the line of “Well, really drummers don’t play that perfectly.” To which I reply, uh, yes. Yes they do. Vinnie Colaiuta and guys like that, and modern metal drummers, they play that perfectly. The old school drummers that play way in the pocket do because they can, not because it’s the only way they can play. I like music that locks in tighter than a gnat’s ass, unless it’s music designed to be loose and sloppy. Which is why playing in church is kind of physically painful for me even though I love them. Sometimes we have subs including a well known local session drummer and it’s SO TIGHT.

Heres our last set list.

Set 1 (20 songs)

Play That Funky Music
Superstition
Brick House
Super Freak

Suck My Kiss
Mustang Sally
Fireball
Suffragette City

Let’s Go Crazy
Santeria