2021 Ik Multimedia Group Buy

There currently is a group buy for IK Multimedia products. I find them overpriced so this is a great way to get a lot of gear in a hurry. Last year I believe it hit buy one and get 10 for free, at the same price or under. It’s their 25th anniversary so they are opening the buy to top out at 25. Check it out if your interested and save big time.

IK Multimedia. Musicians First

1 Like

I was looking at this but not quite sure how it works. Over the years I’ve spent close to $800 on IKM software and iRig hardware. They’re definitely not cheap!

1 Like

As the group buy for their software adds more “members” each participant who joins the and buys one of their software products is entitled to extra free products equal to or less in value than what they bought. Currently it’s two free extra products but there is 21 days to go. Every extra 1000 members adds a free product.

2 Likes

Update. The group buy is presently at buy 1 and get 5 of the same product value or lower. 13 more days to go.

2 Likes

I took the plunge with Miroslav 2 and now grabbed Modo Bass, Modo Drums, BX3, TrackS Deluxe and Lauressen Mastering Console… I have one freebie left for the moment, not sure what else to grab?

I picked up the MixBox after checking out some reviews. Tones of flexibility and a lot of presets to get started with.

And of course I am hoping the deal keeps growing. But I have prioritized the ones I really want.

@Pete_67 - those are good choices. It’s funny that once you’ve picked the ones you really want deciding on the further ones is hard.

I recommend downloading the Miroslav samples on a machine with an SSD - the process of unzipping them all is laborious.

2 Likes

ARC software only would be a good choice - the mic can be an inexpensive omni directional condenser. I actually bought it to use with my edrums powered monitors (I set the listening area to be where the bass and guitar player stand in my studio). When I finally used it for my mixing desk I was surprised how bass heavy my monitors were. It flattened out a mountain of mid-low bass. My mixes (using Lurssen) are much better.

I’ve been wanting to buy the Sunset Studio Reverb.

1 Like

I used it on my last recording…love it.

Great suggestion on the ARC software. I struggle to get a good mix on smaller speakers. Looks like I’ll bump that up my priority list.

I just installed ARC with the next tier that got reached. I now see that flat response microphones are the best for calibration, or using calibration files to compensate. I don’t want to through off my setup too much with my not so flat SM58. What mic did you end up using and got good results?

1 Like

You could use this one:

(33€ in germany)

What about using the mic that was designed for ARC:

In comparison to ECM8000 f.e. a bit more expensive (77€ In germany) but calibrated and fitting perfectly to ARC.

My 2 cents, regards, Volker

1 Like

Thanks for the mic suggestions. I also have an APEX 415B which has decent specs. I wonder if it would do the trick ?
Apex 435 Wide Diaphragm Microphone : Amazon.ca: Musical Instruments, Stage & Studio

Thanks Volker, I just ordered the Behringer ECM8000 as it’s on sale in Australia for $55 (around 32€) :moneybag: :ok_hand:

No sorry, this is definitely not useful! It has a cardioide characteristic and additionally is a large diaphragm type which will introduce colouration most probably. What you definitely need is a small diaphragm mic with omni characteristic.

Not sure if ARC3 is capable of importing calibration files (I only own ARC2 which didn‘t provide this possibility) but for EMC8000 a cal file can be found somewhere in the internet. Please keep in mind that a common cal file for all samples of EMC8000 is of limited use due to large tolerances.

Hi Volker, I just installed the trial version of ARC 3 and in the generic mic selection screen it does have an import calibration file feature so it can be done however, I agree with you that importing generic calibration data for the Behringer ECM 8000 may be hit and miss due to variations in response inherent of each mic capsule. I did see the study done by that German studio where they compared over 50 of these Behringer ECM8000 mics and found variations of +/-5dB in the upper and lower ranges.

I guess anyone serious enough would probably spend hundreds of dollars/euros and get a proper reference mic, however the global reviews on the Behringer are very good for everyday practical use and live sound reinforcement so I’m happy to go with that crowd :+1:

1 Like

Hey Volker, I use the ECM 8000 with ARC 3 and got great results. ARC 3 accepts cal files and the ECM 8000 cal file is here …

http://downloads.sonicstudio.com/mic_calibration_files/ECM_8000_cal_file.zip

Dave

2 Likes

Hi Pete,

yep, totally agree. As long as one doesn‘t mix up systems like ARC with a high grade control room design (means blood, sweat, tears and tons of money) you can get decent improvement in your room acoustics with an EMC8000 (especially in the lower frequency range where tolerances are small).

Being very accurate in frequency response only makes sense in combination with room tweaking.

2 Likes