V3 Two Feature Requests: Bypass on Rack By Index + non-exclusive audio

Hi Brad

I’m setting up the global rack to make use of the Controls on my keyboard…

If I set a controller to Rack By Index - I cannot then set Bypass - I can only set Running/Suspended. Is this missing by design? Would be handy because (I think) it’s quicker to process…

and

in V2 I think I was using DirectSound audio which was not exclusive. This was handy at home 'cos I could play along to somthing on youtube etc. and on stage I would usually cue up a playlist in an auto-DJ program to play during the interval. Is the WASAPI driver that V3 uses only exclusive, or can it be set to be non-exclusive so I can do the same thing? (If I’m using the right terminology and making any sense!)

I’ve tried turning off Exclusive Mode on the interface in Windows - but then Cantabile throws an exception: Failed to prepare audio driver error 13705

Thanks, again

Ern

Hi,

Thanks for suggestion these.

re: bypassing racks this isn’t supported currently because it’s not always obvious what bypass means - suppose a rack has three audio input ports and two audio output ports - what gets connected to what when you bypass it? Same for MIDI. So for the moment - at least until I better understand if this is a real requirement and how to best implement it, I’ve left it out (but logged it here)

re: exclusive mode audio - it’s already logged here.

Brad

Hi @WeepingBoil,

Just letting you know non-exclusive WASAPI is available now. See here.

Brad

Thanks Brad for the update. I’m continuing to use WASAPI rather than ASIO because using ASIO is (inexplicably) always associated with distortion in one of my plugins (AcousticSamples Wurli).

I second the motion for a bypass…PLEASE… Here’s my definition/requirement for “bypass”. I don’t know the correct name for each “row” in the routing tab, so I’ll use the term row. Each row currently has two glow buttons, one is the green “running” glow button, the other is the “suspend” glow button.

How should bypass work? Clicking the bypass does two things:

• It turns off the object in that row - be that object a plugin, a rack, a media player or a ?? (I think that’s all the objects)

• In addition to turning off the object in that row, bypass reroutes the signal - rerouting means taking the input signal to the row (or the object in the row), and routing it to all of the outputs in the row (or object in the row), as applicable

There are certainly a number of use cases where rerouting won’t work; Some of these might include

• If the object in the row has no input [perhaps a media player] - no rerouting since there’s nothing to route from

• If the object in the row has no output [perhaps a vst tuner] - no rerouting since there’s nothing to route to

• If the object’s input and output are not identical, and the object is doing the translation [perhaps an audio to MIDI converter object] - either no rerouting or only rerouting of “like” signals

• If the object’s ONLY output is the Stereo Out (the software output) - no rerouting since there’s nothing to route to [still allow the bypass since it’s more work to account for this use case]

• If the object’s ONLY input is the Stereo In (or the software input) - no rerouting since there’s nothing to route from

• If the object is itself a router of sorts, [perhaps a vst Mixer, or a vst effect that’s routed to multiple outputs] any case where the number of inputs and outputs are not the same number, then the inputs get equally routed to all the outputs.

• Finally the stereo vs. mono issue - if a bypass is possible then basically whatever the input is be it mono or stereo - goes to whatever output there is be it mono or stereo

Everything above are use cases for audio signals, since I am using the software for electric violin. Perhaps (not sure) the MIDI use cases would follow suit?

Thanks!! Alex

1 Like