Utility Slots, Sliders and Knobs

Hi All,

I was wondering if we could add a new feature that allowed you to create a simple MIDI slider control slot for use on the output section of a plugin or rack in the routes pane that you named when you created it and it became available for bindings. This would label it in the Routes pane & Bindings pane when selected as a source. It would simply create 00 ~ 127 Omni that could be channelized and assigned to a CC or other function in the bindings area. Like this …

Currently I improvise & use audio output ports because they have a slider on them, route them to nowhere and bind to the slider but I can’t name the slot because it is an audio port. It is for use with external synths in my case and would make creating control surfaces for things way easier and straight forward. Does anyone else think this would be a good thing?

Thanks,

Dave

2 Likes

+1

I’ve considered something like this before but was thinking more of a “utility slot”. This wouldn’t reside in the output ports section, but rather just as another top-level object that would have a number of sliders, buttons, knobs (possibly user configurable) that can be used to either send MIDI and/or bind from.

Does this really belong in the output ports section?

1 Like

@brad, I guess it wouldn’t if it was at the same level as a plugin or rack. I just related it to there because I had been using those dummy stereo outs to do it in my hack. If they were their own object that would be great. I would like the ability to make them simple with a single controller or with more controls like in your description. It might help if they could be grouped and folded some how to save room when not in use though. Thanks for chiming in on this. :slight_smile:

Hi @dave_dore ,

in general I think your idea is great. However, I wonder if the requirements you’ve raised are a bit too specific.

If I would describe requirements from my point of view a bit more general, it would look like this for a slider (for knobs and buttons you can easily find analogies):

1. a slider graphically follows the shape of other sliders

2. a slider can be designated by a name

3. a slider can be defined in its value range

4. one of several defined scales can be selected for a slider

5. a slider can be placed on top, song or rack level

6. a slider can be controlled by a song or rack state

7. a slider can control a target using a binding

8. a slider can be controlled by a source using a binding

Under these conditions, sending Midi CC data, for example, would only be a subset. The requirement for individual naming would be met. Further, a midi slider would no longer be bound to the “dB” scaling of an audio slider, which often makes no sense in this context.

Even if I can’t follow @brad thoughts completely (I guess he’s 2 steps further with his abstraction thoughts than I am with my dumb head :rofl:) I also have the feeling there that he has something more universal in mind…

My 2 cent,

Greeting, Volker

2 Likes