Trigger video and photo

Hi LowE,

Can you post the song with the binding that isn’t working? Also, which exact version of Cantabile 4 are you using?

Dave

I have the newest version 4.0 Performer Feb.14.

I try it on auto start on load binding: song on load, media player 1, play set to metronome. It doesn’t seem to have any effect at all. I tried transport on play, media player play also as above with same result. One work around I just thought of would be to add a little time before the song starts and move it up in the timeline to delay the start of the song a little and keep adjusting until its close. Thanks.

Hi LowE,

I recreated the same bindings you showed and set a delay on the bottom one and it worked fine. I noticed your delay was set to 0 on the picture you posted. I tried a 5000 mS delay to make it easy to see if the binding was firing after the delay period using a MIDI monitor. Have you tried testing this way?

Dave

Yes it works but it has the opposite effect of what I need. Firing the binding after the delay period makes the music play even further ahead of the video. The music starts before the video so I need to start the music a little later. In this screen shot you can see I tried adding some time before the song starts and starting the track a little later. That seems to work for now, its just a pain.

It seems like in the older version you could start the song sooner or later to adjust to the video. Thanks for all you do.

Hi LowE,

I took your issue under consideration and I can offer this solution if it would help.The bindings change some so that you can control the delay time on either the media player start or the CC2 output switch that starts the OBS transport. It looks like this. The first binding remains the same. The second binding starts the media player on a Song Load event & you can set it’s delay if you need the media player to start later than the OBS transport. The third binding sends the CC2 to start the OBS transport and you can set it’s delay if you need to start the OBS transport later than the Cantabile media player. The last binding is the same as you had before. Each bindings delays are saved on a per song basis if you check the Delays box for those 2 Song On Load bindings I detailed above.

I hope this helps, it saves adding time to your media player files anyway.

Cheers, :slight_smile:

Dave

1 Like

I’m betting @brad gets a real kick out of seeing the tremendous application (pun intended) of his software.
@dave_dore, you continue to amaze and delight with your contributions to the user base. At its entry level, Cantabile is a very easy to handle program. You want deep? Boy, can you ever get it.
In combination with @Torsten and @cdv_gabriel, and those others who ‘see’ the solutions that evade us mere mortals, I bend the knee and say thank you. This forum is a tremendous creative resource, and all of us who have seen Cantabile’s progress over these years (it is amazing to see how the years have already stacked up) know that its a richer experience due to your input, and it’s just a shame that a community which spans the globe can’t get into the same room for a meet and greet, even though I see @terrybritton has taken that bull by the horns with his podcast seminars, attended by several members.
Had to be said.
A1 community.

7 Likes

Yup, I have to say that when ever I have a challenge that there usually is a way to do it Cantabile, that I think other live hosts would fail on.

On the odd occasions where I am stumped for a solution, then when I post the issue here, there is invariably a solution quickly offered from the community.

All of that makes Cantabile special.

5 Likes

Thanks again Dave. You are a wizard; from whence do you derive these powers.
I must be doing something wrong. On line 1, song, on load, Media Player 1, Play. I don’t get any delay at all, even with it set to 4,000 as shown. I get delay on some of the other lines.

My work around of delaying in the time track seems to be working ok though. The one remaining problem is that when I go from 1 video to the next, it goes back to the beginning for a second before it transitions to the next. I’m using VMix to play the videos and the transport only has start, pause, and restart. To rewind the video to the beginning you have to hit pause then restart or else it will start playing again if you just hit restart. In the bottom 3 bindings in red, I have Cantabile stop (pause) Vmix on stop with controller 0. Then also on Cantabile stop, (controller 26) I have it rewind VMix back to the beginning without restarting. ( in vmix you would hit pause first then restart) so ideally that would have a delay to allow stop to activate pause in vmix first then rewind. Finally when song ends (controller 25) reset VMix video back to beginning ready for next play. Otherwise it won’t be synced with the song next time it plays. When I turn off controller 26 it doesnt seem to have the problem which doesn’t make sense to me, since that stops both programs at the same time anywhere in the song. Ive tried everything I can think of. Thanks again.

1 Like

Hi LowE,

I don’t know if it will help but did you try unchecking the Pause song and State box on that binding. I just wonder if it may be why it isn’t functioning as expected.

Dave

Hi Derek,
my apologies for bringing this up. I have a setup similar to yours with two computers: 1 for cantabile and one for running videos. I am currently using something called RemixVideo which is ok, but it was not designed to run long clips and it looks like it is abandonware (no updates and I installed on a win11 machines all fonts are wonky).
So, long story short I am looking at possible alternatives that are not outrageously expensive. So I was just seeing how was your experience. One important thing for me would be to be able to set up MIDI setup inside each song in Cantabile and then trigger the appropriate videos on the other laptop. So, any setlist changes, I update the setlist in Cantabile, but I do not need to re-do the whole thing on the video software.
Would love if you could share any feedback. Or if anyone could jump in with suggestions on other options about what to use
Thanks
-Marco

Hi,

I have not required this for a few years, but that is exactly what I was doing with SCS11 on a separate machine, triggered via MIDI cues generated from the laptop running Cantabile.

The two laptops were connected using RtPMIDI over Ethernet, which avoided yet more MIDI interfaces.

It may have been a quirk of my two computers, but I did find that the network connection negotiation when connecting the two computers with a single Ethernet lead was not reliable enough, but if you put a small unmanaged hub like a cheap NetGear device between them, then it was 100% fine.

SCS11 was a little quirky, shall we say, but it was the cheapest video software that I could find at the time that could be triggered via MIDI and available for PC, and it did the job.

thanks for the feedack!

Hey guys
For me it’s working perfectly with VLC now.
I added this automatic binding, following the advice from the forum here.
It opens VLC in thebackground (on a second screen)

“C:\Users\muziek\Documents\Portable\PortableApps\VLCPortable\VLCPortable.exe” “D:_VSTPlugins__Sven Setup\B Floyd\01 - Shine On You Crazy Diamond - B-Floyd.mp4” “–qt-start-minimized” “–video-on-top” “–fullscreen” “–playlist-autostart”

1 Like

What sort of latency do you get? In terms of your VLC starting and playing? Shine is probably OK as it is only loosely synced to the music, but other Floyd songs were much tighter, and I could never get SCS11 to be consistent in terms of latency of when it actually started playing

Yeah would be great if we could play video files from the media player. For now this is only usable as background