And some contenders…

REM - It’s The End Of The World As We Know It

CCR - Bad Moon Rising

Barry McGuire - Eve Of Destruction

Genesis - Land Of Confusion

Talking Heads - Life During Wartome

Temptations - Ball Of Confusion

4 Likes

One song I had never even heard about until referenced by a co-worker (maybe because no keys!) – but the lyrics seems almost prophetic: Shades Apart’s “Stranger by the Day”

2 Likes

This is a time when I am relieved that music is just a hobby for me – albeit a somewhat expensive one. I still have my family-supporting employment, and it’s a job that is not endangered by a down economy (unless the economy completely collapses).

For me, music is cathartic, and provides an escape from many of life’s stresses. Being able to unwind by firing up Cantabile and some VSTs (too many TBH!) is a great comfort in some very unusual times.

I sympathize with those who are not as fortunate – who are seeing their livelihood endangered.
Stay Strong.
Stay Positive.
Take Care of yourself.
Let’s come together as a community of strangers bonded through this magic elixir called music.

(Sorry if this sounds cheezy! A lyricist I am not!)

2 Likes

I’ve been retired for 11 yrs, so I don’t have to depend on music as a living. I played professionally for several yrs during and after my music education was completed. I spent much time “on the road”, but I decided to pursue a stable career when I started a family. I still managed to play music on a regular basis, and owned a studio where I recorded many acts and had a steady clientele for ads on TV and Radio.

When my 30 yr marriage fell apart 14 yrs ago, I made a promise to immerse myself in performance. For the yrs since, I have become very wealthy with the comradery of my many bandmates and the local scene. They are my 2nd family, but some are struggling thru this shutdown. They depend on the small amount of gig money they can get. I have gifted several with delivered grocery and supply items. Others I have PayPaled cash. I feel I have to help these talented people, because they were there for me when I needed a shoulder 14 yrs ago.

When this all ends, I have several planned gigs to raise money for those musicians in need. If you know someone, musician or not, who is struggling thru this, help them out if you can. At the very least, give them a supportive call…even if it is an obnoxious guitar picker, a consistently late bassist, or an argumentative drummer. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Hmmm - “this ain’t no technological break-down…” (fill in the blanks)

2 Likes

Life’s What You Make It - Talk Talk (and the late, great Mark Hollis)

2 Likes

For me, it will be Hymn Of The Big Wheel by Massive Attack:

2 Likes

This is what happened a few days ago

2 Likes

Hi All,

This was a hard post to make. At first I didn’t know how to respond to what my thoughts were on this threat to us all. I respect and like everyone here at this forum a lot, regardless of any disagreements may exist and wish them all long and wondrous lives. Where I live it is very rural so it has not struck here in a large way yet but the state shut down all restaurants except those that have take out windows till sometime in April and since the economy is small scale most everything else is closed too. The local guitar store I frequent and do repair work for is shutting down early for the last week and totally closing starting next week, I have known the family that owns that store for over 25 years and this has deeply affected them and all local musicians and it is also hurting many small businesses around here as well. To all of you hurting from this, again, my sincere sympathies and wishes for better days ahead. I also know that some of us may have to face the loss of a friend or family from this pandemic. I have faced these things before in my life and there is no experienced advice I have to offer, I was deeply wounded by them and was thankful to get beyond them and carry on trying to be a positive and joyful force to the folks that remained close to me and to the audiences I was blessed to entertain. This current worldwide dilemma has brought this all into focus again. I mourn the loss of life everywhere from this but I will continue to celebrate the bright and hopeful spirit in all of us.

Stay well all of you!!

Dave

5 Likes

Well said Dave…may you also stay well! Sorry to hear of your past experience. I experienced PTSD for many years, till I went thru 6 years of counselling. These last few weeks have brought back the depression and anxiety attacks I thought were long over. Do your best to hang in there. You have many friends in this, and your local community. Just reach out if needed. I am online most of the time, and available for discussion( no sleep these days). This is a very tough time for all. Wish you all the best. Remain positive.

Regards

Corky

2 Likes

I’m so sorry for your your experience Dave. I hope your words can be cathartic but egoistically, I would like to thank you for them: your writing skills, that I will never have, certainly make me better and more empathetic.

I only have one piece of back-to-earth (is this a real saying or just a Cat Steven’s album?) advice: be careful as there are some new scams emerging with Covid-19.

2 Likes

My hometown was hit hard by a tornado yesterday. Had the virus not forced people to stay at home, it would have taken many lives, as it hit the shopping areas hard on a Saturday afternoon. Many businesses were flattened. I found this video interesting amidst multiple disasters.

1 Like

We were thankfully spared the twister but the wind gusts from that system took down some trees here too … Spring is here and so are the storms … Thank goodness it wasn’t worse. Sorry it hit your hometown Corky …:disappointed: My chainsaw will be humming for a few days cleaning up the damage on the roads here.

2 Likes

I have many immediate family members there, and was on the phone all evening with most of them. Then, I had to take cover when the storms came thru last night. They lost their punch after crossing the river.

Glad you made it without major damage. I do not envy you clearing roads the next few days. Tough work. :persevere:
I was relieved when my grandson finally called last night. Can breathe again.

3 Likes

I’m with Rob… keep the politics out of it. It has no place here but to start a negative thread. God bless everyone! Be safe! Take the suggested behavior to heart and be a part of the solution without the innuendo.

3 Likes

I try to respect every opinion.
But if we talk about virus, we talk about human actions to fight it. And this implies the wrong actions made by our politicians.
So to respect everyone I should shut up.
Not easy…

2 Likes

Good to hear your family is well Corky :+1: Let it stay that way I say!

2 Likes

I think the problem all comes down to, certainly in the UK, our public and health services not being prepared for a Pandemic, and we are paying the price with the lock down. Don’t get me wrong, we are where we are, and if the current measures save lives by managing demand on our stretched health services, then I accept it. But we need to learn lessons and be ready for the next one without shutting down our economy.

Government pandemic planning assumed that most of the population would fall ill and get better after a few days, not having the economy in shut down. Wrong.

There was an NHS Pandemic exercise in 2016, which showed that we would have all the problems we are now facing in our health services. The exercise showed we would not have enough beds, ventilators, PPE, and that our health service would be overwhelmed. Sounds familiar? Nothing was done about it.

So, the lock down is mainly about stopping our National Health Service from being overwhelmed because we had no surge capacity. Even worse, we did not start doing something about it when we saw the outbreak in China start three months ago.

Many years back, an NHS manager was boasting to a journalist that they were aiming to make the NHS so efficient that there was never an empty bed in the whole organisation. They could not answer the question posed by the journalist about where the surge capacity would come from, such as that needed by a Pandemic.

We have 2.2 critical care beds per 1000 people - one of the lowest care bed ratios in the developed world. Germany as a European comparison has 8.3. Japan heads the league with 13.2.

The minute we saw China being overwhelmed, we should have been putting in place what we are now having to do - building surge capacity hospitals, ramping up ventilator and PPE manufacturing, etc. Doing it now is still better that not doing it at all, but it is not “just in time” planning. It is “just too late”.

In the UK we still allow foreign flights to come in with NO monitoring of arrivals. That is utter madness. People, who may be carriers then disappear.

Our pandemic testing regime is woefully inadequate.

In the UK NHS there is now annually a winter flu crisis (which kills around 17.000 people a year in Britain) it is often close to being overwhelmed with winter flu, but it always just about makes it through. People breathe a sigh of relief and things carry on with no lessons being learnt. And this becomes “the new normal”. In Project Management/Safety terms it becomes an “acceptable risk”. Until it bites you hard.

That is what we are now seeing.

We need to get through the current pandemic, but we need to seriously learn lessons from our lack of preparedness. If we do not do that then that is criminal.

So what do we need to learn

• A pandemic has happened. It can happen again, and we were caught with out trousers down.
  • Our internationally connected world makes it very easy to spread
  • We need better measures to slow it when we see it. Such as flight/immigration restrictions early
  • We need to plan for surge capacity at the right time to be ready for the bow wave, not after the bow wave is swamping us
  • That would mean plans and enabling contracts in place - pay companies with capability and capacity a retainer where, subject to a notice period, they swap from whatever they are normally producing to producing what is needed for the surge
  • Better testing facilities.

And probably a lot more than that, but you get the gist.

I work in a complex project environment in my day job, and I know that humans get things wrong quite often. That is not a problem as you plan for it. Doing the same thing wrong repeatedly is not acceptable, and that is where bureaucratic structures are very bad in learning from experience. In these complex projects we do not want a standing army of the people or resources you need at a project peak, as we cannot afford to keep the standing army fed. We have a core team and the enabling arrangements to bring in staff from elsewhere in the company and/or contract staff where needed. We have project plans that show where we need surge capacity and we have planned for it. It’s not hard to plan for anticipated events. The next pandemic is a known unknown, not an unknown unknown. We know it will happen again, just not when. So we can still plan for it.

My big fear is that this pandemic will pass. The world breathes a collective sigh of relief and then it goes back to normal. If that happens we have failed to learn from the experience.

Stay safe.

2 Likes

Hi @Corky, sorry to hear this additional trouble. As if we did not have enough already

2 Likes

Here in Italy people play the national hymn every evening at 1800 and people open their windows and play it loud. In the country side where I am it is pretty weird to hear the hymns from distances over the - for the rest empty quiet valley. Pretty sinister, but it gives me goose bumps. As if we are in the wrong movie…

Normally I enjoy movies, but this one, I’d like it to end soon…

3 Likes