Stuck notes in Blue3 / Arturia Keylab mkii 61

USB cables will be swapped for a new pair.
Yes, with Montage I was using the same one

So if they fix or swap it it would be a hardware manufacturing issue I suppose? Since some are fine.

I’ll be following this, please post what happens.

Brad just suggested me something new on another post (started by myself about searching of a good controller).
He suggested to change usb cables and use a powered hub for USB.
This last one was unexpected by me.
I will buy, try and report.

Fair point, USB power isn’t equal on all ports, especially on laptops. The Keylab Mk2 seems like a reasonably power hungry device, given the its features. This obviously wouldn’t be an issue for the Montage. Alternatively, you could try powering the Keylab with an AC adapter directly.

Corky…
But in your setup (if I read it well) main keyboard and audio board were in two USB plugs of the notebook.
This is exactly my compact setup.
I still cannot believe that a laptop cannot drive two simple things like these.
Of course I will try, but what is your opinion?

My current theory, because this seems to happen specifically with Blue3, is that it has something to do with the fact that with an organ VST I often slide my hand across the keyboard in true Hammond organ style. Could the fast sequence of note on/off data be causing the problem?

(@Corky I have my Arturia Keylab mkii 61 connected to a powered USB hub, and always to the same ports, but I still get stuck notes in Blue3 sometimes. It doesn’t happen a lot. fortunately, but I have already trained myself to press the ‘end all notes’ shortcut button on my keylab when it does happen so usually no one but my notices. Still, it’s very annoying.)

Usually, it should be able to do this, but USB ports on laptops are funny animals. I have a laptop with a USB port that is seriously under-powered (definitely below USB spec), so I have to use a powered hub for some devices.

Definitely worth trying @Corky’s suggestion!

1 Like

+1 for the powered hub at the center of all MIDI communication over USB.

1 Like

+1 for powered hub: whereas my fireface has its own psu on board I had to drive my babyface by such hub. Not a single USB problem since.

Regards, humphrey

1 Like

Hi,

Not sure if it is your problem at all but worth mentioning. If I plug my MOTU MIDISPORT 128 8x8 interface into a USB3 Port, I get a shit load of stuck notes. No problem at all with it plugged into a USB2 port. I have other USB2 items not liking USB3 despite it being meant to be backwards compatible.

Hi Furio

I researched a lot, plus threw in what I knew regarding USB ports. In my laptop, there are 3 USB ports. I put my interface, and my main keyboard into 2 of those ports. The reasoning is this…if I have a problem during performance, my interface and main keyboard will most likely get me through, until I can evaluate the problem. To me, they are the 2 essential pieces I can rely on, because they are directly connected to the laptop.

My powered 8 port hub is connected to the third port. In that port, I run a Line 6 pedal, my upper keyboard, wireless mouse, and sometimes a 3rd keyboard. With powered hubs, any ports past 4 will have reduced power. Since you only derive a set amount of power from a usb port, many connections to the same port will split the power, and will make the port possibly unstable.
Thus, the “powered” hub. It basically adds power to all it’s ports, so the laptop doesn’t have to split power to several devices. The computer only has to transfer information, not power, which makes it very convenient to us gear accumulating audio nerds.

Understand, a USB cable also needs to be able to handle the power and communications. There are many cheap cables in the market, but if we don’t meet standards, problems will arise.
See This:

I cured my sticking notes during a gig, by simply turning the keyboard off/on. I later found my USB cable wasn’t making good connection, because the connector became loose fitting from many ins and outs. The laptop connection can also be worn out. I replaced the cable, and had no trouble since. Cables DO wear out, which is why I carry several spares.

My 2nd keyboard is mostly used for organs, which is why only my organs started hanging notes. Simple fix in my case…replace the cable.

Hope this helps

Corky

1 Like

Hey Herman

“Sliding” is what caused my notes to stick. I would check the cable, and/or the USB port, as well as the laptop connection. These ports really take a lot of abuse. If you accidentally hit the connection, the little blue male connection can easily be bent just enough to make partial connection, thus sticky notes with a large midi send like a slide. There are some products made to insure a healthy connection I used several years ago when I repaired small circuit boards. If I can find the product I used, I will post it here. It was a life saver many times it’s worth.

1 Like

Pfffftt! I only use USB 1.1 cables for that vintage sound.

:smirk::smirk::smirk::smirk:

3 Likes