StreamDeck+ Support - Yes or No?

I would go for StreamDeck+ support. Although I have retired from gigging and industrial needs for a Cantabile rig, I always wanted to be able to give a dynamic description to a button (Cantabile’s on-screen keyboard button or midi controller button) depending on the song. Stream Deck is a super piece of kit and has a long way to go yet in it’s market niche. I would give it all due support.

2 Likes

Yes

I’m less intrigued with the hardware packages than I am with the Mobile version of StreamDeck. I recently started trying to configure the StreamMobile version of it (having issues with the Android on my Fire Tablet - ugh), so I’m probably going to have to dedicate an ipad to it, but I really like what it does.

I do like the idea as I think StreamDeck mobile may be a more flexible solution in the future. I’m suprised Elgato hasn’t added some slider controls to the mobile interface (considering how many people use it for streaming ). We could assign them to volume, etc. Streamers could also do lights, and other things.

I agree that the StreamDeck+ has too few knobs for our purposes (e.g., controlling synth settings ) but the idea of
setting it up to do program changes / song advance, etc. seems interesting to me - I’ll have to try it.

On a side note: Most people don’t know that MIDI is used in non-musical application (lots of lighting, but some other automation). I dont’ know how much MIDI is inside the StreamDeck software, but I wouldn’t be suprised if it doesn’t have some capabilities.

I have a StreamDeck + (as well as Mini, standard, XL and pedal).
The Midi plugin works very well and I didn’t try the Cantabile Profile yet. For the moment I use its very powerful capabilities with MIDI binding.
With the MIDI plugin, each knob can have a subset of four knobs so that means 16 knobs per page! All with midi feedback… This is more than enough even for complex synth setup

1 Like

Oh! Take 2. I just reinstalled the plugin and I say a BIG YES for cantabile integration with SD+.
I didn’t use the Cantabile plug in because the lack of dials prevented me to really use SD in a live music context. (in fact, I even forgot there was a cantabile plug in). I would really like to see SD + supported

Take 3… if you can get a grasp on the 16 dials implementation that is done on the https://trevligaspel.se/streamdeck/midi/index.html plug. That works like a charm. I have 5 Peavey PC1600, Behringer BCF/BCR/BCN and many hardware controllers and I can tell the SD+ is a worthy piece of hardware!

1 Like

I have the 15 button edition and won’t upgrade to the “+” edition.

I’m getting one for Christmas and was planning on just using it with MIDI commands with Cantabile, but ‘proper’ integration at some point would be nice. I guess there’s a few things that couldn’t be done over MIDI, like having level meters…?

Pinging the thread again -

Are there any Youtube or other posts on how people have integrated? If not, would someone with experience considering spending a few minutes with me and I’ll put one together?

Note: I’m less concerned with the StreamDeck as a knob/slider Contoller, and more about automating certain things that are harder to get to in Cantabile when I’m “authoring” songs/parts.

Pat

Such as?

I think you probably have already created the ability to have key accellerators/ bindings on most all of these anyway, but here you go.

For authoring: Lock all, insert specific VST’s, create new parts (song or linked rack).
For performance: Next song, next part, etc.

Pat

Yes! I’m considering the StreamDeck+ specifically because of the knobs. I have a Native Instruments Kontrol S61 and despite the 2 screens and 8 knobs I’m disappointed that when it’s in “MIDI controller” mode I can’t modify what it shows on the screen above each knob. It shows say, CC14 but I’d prefer that to say “Cutoff” or whatever. Huge opportunity missed by NI, as I assume this is something that’s in their control.

Or maybe I’m just ignorant of what you can “send back” to a MIDI controller and that’s way out of spec. Regardless, if I could use a StreamDeck+ in Cantabile and have Cantabile then send out and modify the names of each of those 4 knobs I’d use those as my primary MIDI CC controllers so I could see what each is controlling and not have to make notes in Cantabile or use stickers on my keyboard.

1 Like

You should be able to create shortcut keys for all these (except insert specific VST) in Tools → Hot Keys

OK, this is still on my list for consideration. The main thing I haven’t figured out yet is where in Cantabile you’d configure what’s displayed on the device.

1 Like

Ah, right. That’d be at the song level, I’d guess. Initially all I’d want is simple text. “LFO,” “Cutoff,” “Bell Volume,” etc. And of course there’s room for an indicator of level (horizontal ramp, bar, or number).

So in Cantabile in a song, I could see a dialog box with the 4 knobs and clickable text fields to label each knob.

Just noticed they’re on sale, bought one.

In Komplete Kontrol is where the Button and Knob Labels can be changed.
S61 has a bad location for a touch strip. It can be disabled or changed, touch strip to a pitch bend etc.
Will

Yes, but I’d like this to be more generic and re-useable for different devices - rather than being specific to StreamDeck.

Oh, that could be much harder, and that’s a much more ambitious effort. Is it worth having something that sort of meets the needs of a bunch of different products (though probably not a lot of different ones in this market) or a specific interface for each type of product?

True, that is more of a “permanent” change as opposed to those names changing potentially with every song, as different songs have different instruments, etc.

That said, you’ve given me an idea for the meantime… if I always use CC14 for Cutoff I can permanently label it Cutoff, and so forth.

I’ve set up a Streamdeck+, so that I can adjust levels on the device, and see levels coming in, control fx, tap tempo etc.

Here’s a little video of my setup in case it helps anyone else: https://youtu.be/UarLho8fpkI

What I quite like, is that you can duplicate MIDI controls across different pages on StreamDeck, and it all stays in sync through the StreamDeck plugin.

n.b. Some of this is probably easier if you have the official Cantabile StreamDeck plugin and/or use proper bi-directional MIDI bindings (both require the ‘Performer’ version, which I don’t have yet!).

TLDR: you need to use a virtual MIDI port program (like loopMIDI) to route MIDI between Cantabile and StreamDeck, and use the ‘MIDI’ plugin in StreamDeck - the Mackie controls in this are the ones to use for MCU. Inspect The_Elf’s template here to get the bindings you need.

1 Like