StreamDeck+ Support - Yes or No?

I’m getting one for Christmas and was planning on just using it with MIDI commands with Cantabile, but ‘proper’ integration at some point would be nice. I guess there’s a few things that couldn’t be done over MIDI, like having level meters…?

Pinging the thread again -

Are there any Youtube or other posts on how people have integrated? If not, would someone with experience considering spending a few minutes with me and I’ll put one together?

Note: I’m less concerned with the StreamDeck as a knob/slider Contoller, and more about automating certain things that are harder to get to in Cantabile when I’m “authoring” songs/parts.

Pat

Such as?

I think you probably have already created the ability to have key accellerators/ bindings on most all of these anyway, but here you go.

For authoring: Lock all, insert specific VST’s, create new parts (song or linked rack).
For performance: Next song, next part, etc.

Pat

Yes! I’m considering the StreamDeck+ specifically because of the knobs. I have a Native Instruments Kontrol S61 and despite the 2 screens and 8 knobs I’m disappointed that when it’s in “MIDI controller” mode I can’t modify what it shows on the screen above each knob. It shows say, CC14 but I’d prefer that to say “Cutoff” or whatever. Huge opportunity missed by NI, as I assume this is something that’s in their control.

Or maybe I’m just ignorant of what you can “send back” to a MIDI controller and that’s way out of spec. Regardless, if I could use a StreamDeck+ in Cantabile and have Cantabile then send out and modify the names of each of those 4 knobs I’d use those as my primary MIDI CC controllers so I could see what each is controlling and not have to make notes in Cantabile or use stickers on my keyboard.

1 Like

You should be able to create shortcut keys for all these (except insert specific VST) in Tools → Hot Keys

OK, this is still on my list for consideration. The main thing I haven’t figured out yet is where in Cantabile you’d configure what’s displayed on the device.

1 Like

Ah, right. That’d be at the song level, I’d guess. Initially all I’d want is simple text. “LFO,” “Cutoff,” “Bell Volume,” etc. And of course there’s room for an indicator of level (horizontal ramp, bar, or number).

So in Cantabile in a song, I could see a dialog box with the 4 knobs and clickable text fields to label each knob.

Just noticed they’re on sale, bought one.

In Komplete Kontrol is where the Button and Knob Labels can be changed.
S61 has a bad location for a touch strip. It can be disabled or changed, touch strip to a pitch bend etc.
Will

Yes, but I’d like this to be more generic and re-useable for different devices - rather than being specific to StreamDeck.

Oh, that could be much harder, and that’s a much more ambitious effort. Is it worth having something that sort of meets the needs of a bunch of different products (though probably not a lot of different ones in this market) or a specific interface for each type of product?

True, that is more of a “permanent” change as opposed to those names changing potentially with every song, as different songs have different instruments, etc.

That said, you’ve given me an idea for the meantime… if I always use CC14 for Cutoff I can permanently label it Cutoff, and so forth.