Something weird about how Cantabile records audio files and therefore I can't edit them in Cubase

Here a picture from my Cubase project:

The above audio track with the S marked in red, Cubase doesn’t play it-this is a Cantabile recording.
The below audio track with the M marked in yellow, Cubase plays it with no problem-this is not a Cantabile recording.

I went to Cubase official forum and they told me there is something about the channels that Cantabile recording to.
It is something about multichannel\mono\stereo or something like this, but anyway I have no idea what the issue exactly.
Maybe someone here knows what the issue because I really have to edit this file…

1 Like

You are set to Wave64 format in the Recording options and that format packs multiple tracks in the same file. @Torsten Ecke has a utility that splits them and the free program Audacity will open them and you can split them that way too. The Torsten tool works great for me! Check this thread

Dave

2 Likes

Just for completeness, a benefit of using Audacity is that you can combine left and right stereo tracks into actual stereo tracks for the import into your DAW, and also can name them before doing the export so they appear named in the exported “stems” folder you use. Do this combining from the track’s drop-down menu on the top-left of the track (“Make stereo track” and “Name”).

So, if you have some mono tracks, like I do with my microphone and ESQm for instance, they get exported as mono tracks and all the others as stereo tracks.

Finally, you go to the File menu to “Export - Multiple”. They are exported as regular WAV files, one for each track if you combine the stereo tracks beforehand into composite tracks.

Terry

2 Likes

BTW - from Wikipedia: “The WAV format is limited to files that are less than 4 GiB, because of its use of a 32-bit unsigned integer to record the file size header (some programs limit the file size to 2 GB).”

When your file goes over the 4 GB file size limit, Cantabile switches to saving in the W64 format developed by Sound Forge, which can save all your tracks in one humongous file. (Mine typically are 9 to 13 GB in size for up to 14 tracks in an hour long recording.)

I currently do ALL my recording this way, using Cantabile, as the ease of setup and of re-using setups and racks is incomparable and never gets in the way of my creativity.

Terry

3 Likes

I just made a video showing how to record live using Cantabile 3 and extract the stems using Audacity here:

Enjoy!

Terry

4 Likes

Great video Terry :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes