Some pc tech advice wanted, ram sodimm, ssd

Hi guys,

I just bought a Acer Nitro, wish me luck :wink:
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/acer-nitro-5-an515-52-7162-gaming-laptop-15-6-inch-azerty/9200000101936514/

At this price, 899€ it has a cpu benchmark score of 12444. My current laptop is at 7800 somehow.
Nice graphics card, lit keyboard, ssd 128 and 1tb hd.
I thought I had a good deal?
What is your opinion on this system? (I can always return it LOL :wink: )

Now I will want to add 8Gb of ram at least, so some questions

• can I mix different sodimm speeds and size? Or do they need to come in pairs?
  • Would it be possible to switch my other SSD 256 from my laptop without hassle? I think 128 is just not enough for windows and programs?

Thanks for your help.

I can tell you the Acer Nitro is reliable, my son bought one for gaming 2 years ago, he travels all over with it and nothing has broken yet. His came with 16GB RAM.

1. You need a pair of matching SODIMMs
  2. You could clone the existing drive with Macrium Reflect free version - 1TB 1.2 NVMe drives aren’t too expensive. We decided to only replace the 2nd drive (HDD) with a 1TB Samsung EVO 860.
2 Likes

I like the specs - I’m thinking about a very similar Nitro (slightly different config, similar price). Can you run Latency Mon on it and post the results?

I’ve had a great experience so far with an older model of the Nitro, but very bad experience with another gaming laptop (that one built by HP) - can’t get that one anywhere near decent DPC latency performance…

Would be great if you could share that!

Re RAM: I would always pair identical RAM modules; had bad experience with mixing (even same capacity but different vendor).

Switching SSD: if it’s just about size, you could create an image copy of the original SSD from the Nitro and copy it to your 256GB drive - Tools like Acronis True Image can do that. Swapping your original SSD to the new system with the old data on it will most likely create a mess due to driver and configuration issues.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Thx for the help!
I’ll share the results later this week when I’m configuring it.
It should be delivered tomorrow.
Santa :santa: time :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Ok running some test:

Passmark scores (I don’t know which one is a good benchmark)
CPU 11668
2D 808
3D 6706
Memory 2131
Disk 2842
Total score 4377.4
www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=126096421603

Hi Sven,

this machine should be able to handle quite some plugs with low latency at a time.

Both of my laptops have i7 4702mq‘s inside with a passmark of about 7000. I‘m running at 128 samples latency and cpu hogs like diva or serum are not a problem here. Usually lots of layering and intense sample based content.

Yours is a real 6 core (mine are 4 cores) so my expectation would be slightly more performance on single core plugins but 50-60% on plugins with multi core support or the number of layerings should be possible.

Good luck, humphrey

1 Like

Thx.
I’m cleaning the system up this week. I already started copying plugins and samples

Hm, I’m going for the Lenovo I think.
It’s 9th gen intel, has bigger HD and extra ram here.
https://www.bol.com/nl/p/lenovo-legion-y540-81sy008cmh-gaming-laptop-15-6-inch/9200000110998215

Hmm, once you get into that price region, it might be worth looking at a custom audio laptop. da-x in Berlin are building laptops specifically for audio use starting in that price-range. And these guys really know what they are doing in the audio space…

1 Like

still a bit pricy I think

Yes, if you go with the pro audio notebook. But the “standard” audio notebook is pretty good, and in a more affordable price range. Contrary to what is displayed on the overview, the “standard” notebook also comes with a 6-core processor ( i7-8750H), so should have plenty of horsepower.

Cheers,

Torsten

Sven, closer to where you are: https://bto.eu/laptops/

I’ve purchased 2 custom made audio laptops there! Very happy with them! Cheaper than da-x! And they offer way more options (and faster SSDs).

If you need help putting one together pm me!

1 Like

Just checked - my current dream machine would be 15", i9!!! 8 core/16 thread, 32G Ram and 1T Ultrafast SSD … only 3028 euros :slight_smile:

1 Like

Puh…if you would buy those things for a desktop PC it will be way cheaper. Of course its bigger (not too much though). But costs under 1000€.

1 Like

Indeed very good systems for reasonable price ! Thx Tom !
Think I’m going for this one

#### X•BOOK 15X981

Laptop

- 15,6 inch Full-HD (1920x1080) mat IPS beeldscherm
- Intel Core i7-9750H Processor (6 Cores, 12 Threads, 2.60GHz, max. 4.50GHz) 
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 met 4GB GDDR5
- Verlicht multi-color AZERTY-toetsenbord (Belgisch)

#### Geheugen

Geheugenslot 1

8GB DDR4 (2400MHz), BTO Selected geheugen

Geheugenslot 2

8GB DDR4 (2400MHz), BTO Selected geheugen

#### Opslag

M.2 SSD slot 1

256GB, PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 SSD, BTO selected (Gigabyte), 1200MB/s-800MB/s

Harddisk / SSD slot 3

1000GB (1TB) 7200RPM 2.5 inch harddisk (7mm) (ST1000LM049)

#### Extra's

Wireless

Intel Wireless-AC 9462 (802.11ac 2.4/5GHz, 433Mbps) + Bluetooth 5.0

#### Garantie

Garantie

2 jaar carry-in garantie

Very nice ! (sorry dutch review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RU8h0G6v32o )

If you guys don’t mind, what would you consider to be a good selection on the lower end of the price range?

1 Like

I’ve got this bto laptop for 1222€.
24gb ram, i7 9gen 6 cores, 256 ssd 1Tb hd 7200 speed.

I think it’s a very fair deal.

1 Like

I guess my new BTO config laptop isn’t so bad :slight_smile:
https://www.passmark.com/baselines/V9/display.php?id=127204814872