Solo with 5.1 external USB audio

hi everybody! i’m new here but have been using Solo for several years now. I wanted to add multiple audio outputs so I might send the metronome (or a recording of a metronome) to a separate channel so I can play a “click” in the monitor only. so, I bought a C-Media 5.1 external usb audio device. it seems regardless of what channel I want to send the signal, it bleeds through all channels. is there trick for better separation or a usb device that’s better for this type of application? thanks!!!

Hi Jeff and Welcome!

Could you post a screen shot of your Audio port setup from Tools>Options>Audio Ports? I was also wondering if you tried creating a mono port for the metronome using the center channel of your 5.1 configuration?

Dave

1 Like

I don’t see " Tools/Options.Audio Ports". are you talking about in Solo or my laptop?

I was referring to Cantabile’s Options

Dave

1 Like

I have this:

Ahhh! Cantabile 2 … my apologies. I would need to bone up, it’s been a spell since I set it up, let me regroup or with any good fortune someone else might chime in that’s up to speed on C2.

Dave

1 Like

thanks!! I don’t really know much about the different versions. this is the one i’ve always had. I will say that when I run a test on the the usb device outputs from my laptop, it does that same bleeding through thing. no matter what speaker I send a tone to, it comes out of all of them, just at different volumes. don’t know if that helps

Hey Jeff,

In C2 the screen i need is the master bus configuration. To display Configure Master Bus dialog from the Setup toolbar, select Configure Master Bus. You should get a screen like this …

SnapShot%20159

That’s the first place I’d like to see how it is set up on your rig. Also the Audio driver that you are using would help, ASIO or wasapi type.

Dave

1 Like

I have the ASIO4all driver, but it doesn’t work with the external card at all.

I have the master bus on the 5.1 surround perset

good stuff for a start, does the C=media usb sound device have a windows based control panel of any sort? And how does your windows mixer look for your new device? By the way is there any documentation on your sound device, a model number, pdf manual etc …?

1 Like

no documentation. here’s the software that came with it.

and here’s the windows control panel

Thanks Jeff,

I think I found something you should check. Go to your setup tab ribbon and select the Audio channels button. Uncheck the boxes for the metronome on the left and right channels for front and back and check only the center channel. See if that helps.

Dave

1 Like

nothing… I wish I knew more about the usb device. I get the feeling it might be defective, but I have no way to know for sure

Sorry Jeff, that’s about all I can think of the rest of it looks correctly set up to me.

1 Like

thanks, dave . i’m going to try and exchange the card for a new / different one and see what happens. I really appreciate your help!!

I got the card working properly from the computer, but no matter what I do in cantabile, it only gives me the “left or right” option. if I change one of the media files to rear or back, it just doesn’t produce audio at all. if I leave it on front, it plays. I have the audio preset in solo on 5.1

Hi,

even though C2 it is long time ago I remember audio routing in C2 was pure pain in the ass - never really got it to work. I had a look at the old cantabile forum and hopefully found a thread that probably could be of some help:

Good luck and regards

1 Like