Showing global ports in rack (wiring view)

I was having some strange behaviour in my rack, where audio was still coming through from an input, even though I’d removed the wires that should have been carrying them. This baffled me for a while. Then I switched to the table routing view and saw that there were inputs/outputs configured there for global ports, which weren’t showing in the wiring view.

My two reactions to this were:

1. Ah cool - I didn’t know we could access global inputs and outputs inside racks, and
  2. It would be handy if there was a way of showing the global ports in the rack’s wiring view to help avoid this confusion in the future.

To be fair this only came about because some effects modules had been copied/pasted into the rack, complete with their original routing. I don’t I would have discovered it otherwise.

Sounds similar to my recent experience:

Ah yes, looks like the same observation!

Hello @sideburnz

It appears that you ran across a problem where global inputs and outputs were available in the table route view but not visible in the wiring view of the rack. In fact, when wire setups overlap, this may result to confusion.

The fact that racks can employ global inputs and outputs to provide routing flexibility is a beneficial knowledge.
It would be very clear and preventive to have a feature where global ports are shown in the wiring view of the rack.