PSA: IK Multimedia B-3X Sale

The Unify plugin from the other thread has recently added a B3 sort of thing. Interestingly, it separates it as three plugins: drawbar oscillator, amp, leslie. The clip I heard in their video sounded interesting, it has a morphing feature in the oscillator to take it from traditional organ to synth. Unfortunately their demo is an older version that doesn’t have the B3, but something to keep an eye on if they upgrade their demo. I’m thinking the oscillator + TR5 Leslie may be something worth investigating for sure.

1 Like

Send me a link…I would like to hear it.

I misspoke on the plugins. Its drawbar oscillator, Hammond percussion, and Leslie.

And it looks like you can download it and add it to an existing Unify installation. I’ll try it with the demo.

1 Like

Interesting. The “mOrgan”. :rofl:

I don’t know how truly authentic it sounds (not the triangle wave thing, but the B3 part) but it sounds good to my ears and sounds like it would fit in a mix well.

It needs some work, and he is not a Hammond player. Understanding the mechanics takes a lot of work, but maybe he is going somewhere with this. But, I disagree with him, it Doesn’t sound great, and if he really sat in front of the real thing, he would understand. Not knocking his work, and hoping he can move further into it. He lost me when he was giddy about his “Rock” organ sound. Not good. :smirk:

I was not a fan of the rock organ sound, but the other more mellow ones sound pretty good imo. Not necessarily authentic mind you, but something useable.

LOL, I just pulled the trigger on B3-X so he’ll have to wait if I decide to buy it. For me the big draw is how it simplifies layering of any number of synths and can store the entire setup as a portable rack. The B3 thing would just be a bonus to play with. That said, I still think the drawbar oscillator + percussion modules going into TR5 Leslie might be worth investigating.

Oh ooh!

Yes, I really like that part of it.

There you go…thinking like me. :+1: :rofl:

The compelling part is that you can put anything you want in between the “tone wheels” and the amp/Leslie. That could get interesting real quick.

1 Like

I just had a look at Unify and though it’s an interesting concept and can be useful in some cases I think I won’t use it much.
On stage a single flute performed by a good player would impress the audience more than a firework of layered sounds that could come from everywhere and you get no impression what the player is capable of.

There’s some interesting links on GitHub… like the Sampleson Collab3 (B3).
Downloaded a lot of demos on Corky’s suggestions and will try the Unify demo.

Hi Pep.
I gladly join what Corky said about the various Organ VSTs on the internet.
This vst Collab3 is very similar to DB33, except for the different graphics. But the result is what counts, there is no comparison with those mentioned several times by Corky and other colleagues here in the Forum.
I too have tried many, out of curiosity, but if you want a good VST that recalls the B3 you have to evaluate it for what your sensitivity requires. The musical response is important, in the VST there must be all those parameters that allow you to modify the sound, the Hammond must “come out”, you must feel your hands vibrate when you are playing.
Obviously everything is subjective. The best Hammond VSTs worth mentioning are the ones named, like Hammond B-3X, B5, Blue3, GSi VB3-II and a few others.
For example for the B5 Acoustic Samples I took advantage of the offer at 69 €., absolutely different from DB33 or Collab3: there is a world of difference!!!
If you’re going to spend money, my advice is to spend it well, if it’s worth it.
Sergio

Hey Sergio,
Thanks for your input. So far, I’ve downloaded Blue3, CollaB3, GSi_VB-II, MOrgan, VB3_v1.4, and I wanted to fool with Unify demo and also OBXD from discodsp.com.

As mentioned, I’m a guitarist and use Cantabile to set up everything. I have a Novation Launchkey to control all the VST bells and whistles as well as using a Sonuus G2M on the guitar signal to trigger the VST MIDI synths, mostly for “trail ends” on both electric and acoustic guitars. It just adds so much to the depth of your playing, kinda like an aftertouch on keys. I use some of the AAS player and SynthMaster One sound packs as well as Waves, etc.

I wanted a B3/Leslie just to comp on, as an assist to a real keyboard man.
Like everyone here on the “Tone Quest”, I care about the sound and realism in the mix, having been in the industry and now retired…(sort of… :thinking:) and wanting to start a band in the gulf coast of Florida.

Your help is both appreciated and respected! :sunglasses:

Pep

1 Like

And by the way, Hammond B-3X seems to be the best. The IK Multimedia offer is on, through March 31.
Take a look, it’s really worth it, both in quality and price!!!
Sergio

Ditto. And FWIW its the only one officially associated with the Hammond name. But that should give an indication of its level of quality.

Thanks! I like that grind and the experiences of others makes it so much easier to figure it out.

@Corky and others: I take it that buying the crossgrade that includes the full Leslie Collection is the way to go?

These are FINALLY in a price range I am willing to spend!!!

Terry

EDIT - HOLY CATS!!! With my Jam Points applied, I get an additional $45 knocked off the price!!! I had forgotten I even HAD Jam Points to spend! Wooo Hooo!!!

Leslie collection and B3X, welcome to my home!

1 Like

You won’t be dissatisfied. Glad you made the move.

1 Like

You won’t believe this, but all I had to do was load in the demo and play the VERY FIRST PATCH that it defaults to, and I WAS SOLD!!!

I am a simple soul with simple needs. (Well, ok, not really, but that sounds so decent and humble…)

Terry

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: