Pro advice wanted: best (technical) setup for full live shows?

That’s very interesting approach ! I’m talking about Reaper here, but jbridge should work there also I guess.

Good. I am going to look into it. WIN 7 is probably the the most stable OS Windows ever made, so I am going to cling to it as long as I can. Thanks Adrian.

Well, it might sound strange, but I hooked my Motu up to a USB3 hub and seems that there is little cracks/lag now ! (at 256 samples!)
How can that be???

1 Like

Hi, Some USB 2 devices hate USB 3 or some reason

My Focusrite Saffire would hang Cantabile during exit if it was plugged into a USB 3 port (which caused all sorts of problems if you restarted). But all is fine in a USB 2 port. I ended up labelling my ports and cables for this reason, as it caught me out one night on a gig and I managed to screw the Cantabile 2 setup whilst diagnosing it.

My Studio based MOTU MIDI Express 128 will give you hanging notes if plugged into a USB 3 port. It is rock solid in a USB 2 port.

I can only guess that certain USB 3 chipsets are not as backwards compatible as they claim.

1 Like

In case you were wondering, the MOTU MIDI Express XT has the same problem with hanging notes suddenly all pouring out from the MIDI logjam. I have a good powered USB2 hub plugged in for it and it works fine now. (This PC has no USB2 native ports - they all are connected to a USB3 Host Controller, even the “Black” ones!!!)

Terry

1 Like

I heard that as well, and that just powering via a USB2 hub will solve it. I am lucky that I still have USB2 ports on my DAW PC - including a PCIe card that I installed to give me more ports.

1 Like

@terrybritton, here’s the glitch I’m talking about. (sorry for the sore neck) :wink:

burn you will!!!
I’m telling you :smiley:

1 Like

Hm Derek,

That could explain allot of crashes indeed.
It just happened that the right USB ports got stuck again, maybe it’s related, I’ll keep an eye on it !

Ok guys, somebody said somewhere I could run Avenger in Jbridge in Reaper. I did (create a jbridge file) and it works waaaaay better ! Even at 128 smpls
That’s 1 less problem !

I can die a happy man !

2 Likes

That could be down to the extra sample buffer that JBridge introduces, which Neil has referred to before?

I heard it from Ade !!! :slight_smile: Thx man ! After a long night, you saved the day !

2 Likes

Another question:
How do you guys secure that you won’t get any hum from the power adaptors?

Hi.

Use balanced XLR or TRS cables where possible if your kit has balanced connectors, and always have a couple of DI Boxes with ground lift switches on them in your gig box for times when you need to eliminate ground loops.

I’ve also had success with passive audio isolation transformers (i.e. cheaper than DI boxes) for laptops when the hum is terrible if they are plugged into their mains adaptors, but the hum disappears when they run on batteries. So I keep a couple of those in my gig box as well!

I have only one power supply for the whole system.
I also use balanced XLR outputs where I added an optional ground lift!

Hi,

I’m using balanced cabeling all the way (not only for connection between ballanced ins and outs but also between unballanced outs to ballanced ins!).

The latest principle (also called pseudo balancing) doesn‘t need DI boxes or isolators and is able to do hum suppression introduced by ground loops by 15-25dB for next to no additional cost.

The main problem: it needs the correct cables and most music stores (at least here in germany) sell cables with mono TRS to stereo TRS or mono TRS to XLR not following this principle as they use shielded cables with only one signal line (most probably due to „cost optimization“ issues). These cables are not able to use the balanced ins properly and so are not able to suppress hum effects introduced by ground loops (the ins are reduced to simple unbalanced ins).

Btw: following this principle it is easily possible to make any unbalanced output balanced by substituting the mono plug by a TRS stereo or XLR male type by only adding one little resistor! Here one can have suppression of up to 30dB. This is the way many balanced outputs on equipment not explicitely declared as beeing transformer isolated is realized.

All this works as long as all components use power socets nearby with short cables.

Following this principle I never had any hum issues even with more than 10 unbalanced devices during the last 20 years.

But be aware: when it comes to long cables (f.e. stage # FOH) there‘s no option to real isolators / transformer coupled DI boxes to my mind as massively floating ground potentials cannot be handled by electronic balancing any more.

My 2 cent, regards humphrey

1 Like

…for whom it may interest, this Presonus article describes all of the aspects mentioned:

https://www.presonus.com/learn/technical-articles/balanced-unbalanced

Regards, humphrey

Make sure all your equipment is plugged in to outlets in the same circuit.

Totally correct! And make sure that the power from the backline is another circuit than the power of the light!

Totally agree on having everything involved in making the sound on the same spur.