I’m asking your pro advice here for this difficult mater.
I’m running C3 perfectly, it’s directly attached to my mk3 soundcard and it’s the only usb connection on my W10 PC. This works great for my rock bands. So my question is beyond C3.
Now, for my full show bands (multitrack in Reaper DAW, with extra video, DMX lights over usb) I keep on getting problems.
And I am getting somehow desperate to get it fixed, as some important big gigs are coming up.
I recently suffered from windows defragmentation shedule messing the disk IO up (luckely on a rehearsal but still heart attack). But yesterday evening on the gig again some ghosts turned up.
- suddenly my midi keyboard was +1 tuned. After resetting some panels and wiggling some controllers it was gone. First time I got this and dunno why.
- USB connections drop sometimes. I’ll probably replace some cables but I think it might be a W10 problem, after updating, the initial problem was fixed, but it’s still unreliable.
- I keep on getting a problem with the mk3 soundcard (first runned on usb port 1, then that kinda crashed and now only usb3 on the left works for it) Sometimes the card is only half recognised. I’ll try switching to Roland octacapture maybe.
- I have the cpu spikes under control, but still glitches happen with Avenger synth, I’m not sure if it’s disk IO or cpu related (cpu doesn’t go over 12%)
- video works ok, low quality mp4 and doesn’t give me high cpu spikes or disk IO.
So yesterday evening was again a concert with lots of stress, scary looking at the CPU meter gauge and hoping it all keeps on working. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Funny thing is you can prevent and test as much as you want at home, still on stage it seems the computer senses the live gig stress and funny things happen (or is it me )
So I was wondering:
- should I switch to a Mac system for more performance and reliability? We all know W10 (I even imagined reinstalling W8.1 if that would be possible lol
I have a recent new laptop W10 latest update (updates and background processes locked with UWT4 or manually disabled) SSD drive 2.7GHz quad (octa threading) core with 16 Gig ram
I see Mac users also suffer software probs, so that won’t probably justify the budget increase… ? Besides switching to a mac would complicate my workflow, I now create stuff on my home pc and sync with my laptop pc. A Mac system would be an investment also, but if it solves my headaches worth to do.
- I should probably invest in a RME soundcard, but that’s way over my budget. Is MOTU mk3 or Roland Octacapture really not secure for this situations?
- should I add an external powered usb hub to compensatie voltage drops?
- would a backup power connector secure external voltage drops (critical for usb)?
I know there are guys over here with years experiences for big live gigs.
What are your best practices to be 90% sure everything is stable on stage during gigs?