Organ Plugins - Opinions?

1 Like

LMAO! !!! Yeah. John Kay CANā€™T get a realistic Steppenwolf sound anymore.

Nice to see Steppenwolf still rockinā€™ it out in 2017! :slight_smile:

(Michael Wilk on keyboards. This is from John Kay and Steppenwolfā€™s 50th Anniversary concert in March. JK turns 73 on April 12th.)

Apparently, it requires TWO leslie speaker cabinets to get that ā€œsoundā€ā€¦ Iā€™m stacking my sims accordingly!

Terry

MVintage is my go-to rotary sim. Like it a lot. Usually use this instead of the one which is built in VB3.

1 Like

@terrybritton

ā€œDeviant Leslie Use (And Abuse)
Steppenwolf organist Goldie McJohn was able to coax an amazing sound from a stock Leslie. He connected the stock bass speaker directly (ā€œfull rangeā€) to the stock amp and ran the thing flat on 10 (actually it sounds like he found a way to get ā€œ11ā€). You can hear this very clearly on that classic track, ā€œBorn To Be Wildā€. The organ solo features the glorious distortion of a grossly overdriven Leslie amp, and you can hear the big bass rotor slowly speed up and slow down throughout the take. I saw Steppenwolf live at the now physically non-existent Electric Factory in Philadelphia. Goldie used the same setup on stage, only he stacked a bunch of them up right next to him, and miked one through the PA system.ā€

1 Like

I just tried out the trial version of Rotary with VB3, and I must say, I do really rather like the sound with the VB3 Leslie enabled but not rotating, and feeding that into Rotaryā€¦

Neil

2 Likes

Smegging smegheadsā€¦ PACE wants net access to install a trial license and I keep that computer off the internet. No offline solution apparently. Then after the 1st fail it wont even rescan the plugin. I hate crap like this. Bite me, UVI. Bite me twice, iLok.

Canā€™t you activate it on an iLok on a different (online) computer?

Doesnā€™t look that way. I mean yeah, I can try to just install on this other laptop Iā€™m on right now- OH WAIT I CANā€™T! Max downloads achieved for that demo and the copy I downloaded is on the other computer at work. And there seems to be no way to transfer that license overā€¦ there probably is, but it wonā€™t giveyou that option. And once it scans it and fails it doesnā€™t even give you the option to scan it again. I have to completely uninstall Rotary and the iLok and start all over. Itā€™s seriously not worth it.

Editā€¦ I got a new link and dlā€™ed the demos againā€¦ now Iā€™m stuck getting the iLok driver to install. This is a quest, dammit.

Welcome to the brave new world of Software As A Service.
They will become the absentee landlords of the computer age.
No nets no works
And thatā€™s no garrentee either. I tried installing an unused virgin copy of Cubase 6.5 on a clunker and the license server is gone forever so I can just suck it up.

ā€¦ oh, and the cloud is not the greatest thing ever, itā€™s just someone elseā€™s computer. :frowning:

Oh manā€¦ if I had paid for this I would be PISSED off right now. I can not get PACE to work. It installs but then the vst hangs. If I run the iLok License software it just says thereā€™s something missing and it canā€™t run. Iā€™ve updated everything. Iā€™ve read 15 threads on why iLok wonā€™t work on Win10. This sucks. I just want to try the s**t out! Dang.

1 Like

iLokā€™s working reliably on my Win10 machine - no problems at all.

Having said that, I donā€™t disagree with youā€¦

Neil

If on a PC, iLok runs a service that is on a delayed startup, so if you try to run it right after booting, it wonā€™t run. In the Computer Manager under Services, make sure both the Bonjour service and the Pace Licensing Support service are running.

What a pain just to try something out though!

Iā€™m lucky like Neil is ā€“ not having had any problems with iLok since I started with it. (For a freebie copy of SoundToysā€™ ā€œLittle Alter Boyā€ of all thingsā€¦) I have 30 activations on my iLok key now!!! It has become pretty indispensable.

Terry

1 Like

Checked that- both PACE and Bonjour are running. I set PACE to delayed start anyway but no diceā€¦ every thread says the fix to my issue is simply to get the service started but for me itā€™s starting correctly. Thank God Iā€™ve avoided iLok until now.

I didnā€™t meant that it wonā€™t run on Win10 of course- clearly it does for a majority of people. That was just one of my starting points to Google :wink: Iā€™m seriously stumped though.

Do they still supply the LicenseSupportDiagnostic toolo in ilok folder??

Yes and itā€™s showing no issues.

A NEW CONTENDER FOR THE THRONE!

I was alerted a few days ago to a new Hammond plugin and downloaded the demo. The GUI has a synth look, and I thought it was another cheap knockoff, but I was really amazed at what this thing could do. Very light on CPU. I am still trying it out, and kinda liking it so far. See what you think.

http://gg-audio.com/#download

2 Likes

Thanks for that Corky, sounds real good!

Dave

Thanks for the heads-up!!! Iā€™m just playing with the demo now - sounds nice! Iā€™m not 100% convinced by the distortion yet - I think VB3 still has the edgeā€¦

Neil