Official Cantabile Stream Deck Plugin Now Available

@Neil_Durant

Very curious. Will you post a look in on your usage of StreamDeck when you get it setup?

Definitely - give me a week or so to properly get into it, and Iā€™ll post whatever setup I eventually converge onto.

1 Like

For completeness, here are both of my Cantabile pages:
C1

C2

Page 1 is my ā€˜mainā€™ live view. This displays current Song/States (or choose via Bradā€™s sub-pages), steps to the next Song/State, Plays/Stops backing and gives me a ā€˜panicā€™ button, The lower four buttons are my ā€˜cuesā€™ that I drive from the Timeline. The top row is my standard ā€˜utilityā€™ row, containing paging controls, the button to actually run Cantabile, a timer and a clock.

Page 2 duplicates my most important controls, and adds my less-used/rehearsal functions.

Iā€™d urge everyone to consider that ā€˜utilityā€™ row of controls. If you are consistent with that it makes jumping around the Stream Deck easier - if you start fudging it you can tie yourself in knots - Iā€™ve been there!

All this is for my 5x3 Stream Deck, of course - the device I take on stage. For my studio-centric XL I have similar standards, but the extra buttons make for an easier life.

2 Likes

Mhh, I did the installation, but donā€™t see this three profiles. I have only the windows app, waiting for the stream deck. Must the hardware be connected, that can see the three profiles?

I donā€™t see how you could do anything meaningful without the hardware connected. The software wonā€™t know which version of the hardware you are targeting - which is maybe why it isnā€™t giving you the option to load Bradā€™s Profiles.

When you get your device you will have to uninstall/re-install the plug-in.

Didnā€™t need a week to set it up - Iā€™ve already converged on a good setup thatā€™s working well for me.

Or a screenshot from the software:

Screenshot 2022-06-10 225859

Top row is song/state switching. Second row is a scrollable list of songs. Third row is a scrollable list of song states in the current song. Bottom row is miscellaneous stuff:

• Clock
  • Another clock (not sure which I prefer yet)
  • Cantabile load
  • Current expression pedal position
  • Toggle for showing/hiding level meter plugin UIs
  • Toggle between normal full volume, and a much quieter level, which I use in rehearsals if I just need to work something out between songs without annoying the others in the band
  • Toggle show notes
  • All notes off ā€œPanicā€ button

Loving it so far! The level of integration with Cantabile is amazing! Trying it live at a big show in London tomorrow night (just try to stop me! :laughing:)

Neil

4 Likes

I donā€™t know if I need such a device. With my programmable Cherry numpad I can at least do the most important tasks:

• next song / previous song
  • next song state / previous song state
  • directly choose a song via number+s
  • toggle live mode
  • toggle show notes
  • toggle analysis plugins
  • panic

Visual feedback is the computer screen that I can use as touchscreen too.

@Neil_Durant

Nice!! Thanks for your take on it! :wink:
Good luck on your show.

1 Like

Hi,
I greet everyone very much. I am very excited about the Cantabile program as well as how it is constantly moving forward. A big thank you especially to Brad, but also to everyone on this forum who actively communicates and helps everyone who needs it.
Based on the info in this forum, I ordered the Stream Deck 32 and the Stream Deck pedal. Everything works for me without any problems, even Bradā€™s profiles. Great recognition.
I need a little help with the volume control. If possible, I would need to set up ā€œMulti actionā€ volume control for a few racks or plugins in the song. For now, it only works for master volume and song volume. If possible, please like. I saw on Youtube how it works in Cubase. Somehow I canā€™t. Big thanks.

Hi @pp3152premysl,

Can you please clarify exact what you want to control the volume of. Is it a single rack, a single plugin, a group of racks/plugins, something. Please be precise so we can provide the best answer.

Brad

Hi, Brad,

I apologize if I did not make myself clear. I donā€™t speak English and sometimes itā€™s quite a problem to translate exactly what I want to say via the translator.

I will try as follows:

Stream deck Cantabile plugin:
Gain control:
Action: Increase gain, decrease gain, set gain
Target: Master output, imput gain, Song output, imput gain, Metronome volume, Ports-My Microphone in, My speakers out, Metronome out

Can the gain of individual racks and plugins be controlled in a similar way as they are not available in the target selection?

Thank you very much

Premysl

Hi @pp3152premysl

Thanks for the clarification - I understand now. Unfortunately this currently isnā€™t possible. Itā€™s a reasonable improvement however it might also be covered by some planned changes to the current bindings mechanism.

Iā€™ve logged it here for now.

Brad

Thanks, Brad.

Hi,
I still need a little help:
For example:
Action: Invoke binding point
Binding point: Plugin by index / name - bypas
Indicies:?
Value:?
I donā€™t know how to define the appropriate plugin or rack in the ā€œIndiciesā€ or ā€œValueā€ field here. It works for me everywhere where there is no ā€œindiciesā€ box. I tried the name of the rack, the number of the rack, according to how they are arranged in the song ā€¦?

Thank Yo very much

Premysl

Hi @pp3152premysl

The invoke binding button action is really an advanced option intended as a fallback for edge cases not covered by the standard buttons. As such it really requires an understanding of Cantabileā€™s network API.

Are you trying to use this to adjust the gain on plugins and racks? Iā€™m not sure youā€™ll be able to bend it to do that. If youā€™re trying to do something else, let me know and Iā€™ll try to point you in the right direction.

Brad

Hi, Brad,

Iā€™m looking for ways to use the Stream Deck and Iā€™m learning how to deal with it. I need to handle most real-time controls with foot controls. So far, Iā€™ve dealt with most of the sound adjustments in the song by switching states with the foot pedal. One of the most important things I need to solve is the automatic smooth volume control, or other continuous functions, racks, or plugins by a button, or when switching to another state. Iā€™ve seen a few ways to solve this on the forum, but I havenā€™t been able to do either in practice / Topiary presets, a script by Torsten, @ dave_doreā€™s fader rack /. So far too complicated for me. Iā€™m very tough, but not very good mathematically and logically. I like it very much, for very good intuitive operation.
When I decided to buy Strem Deck I watched some videos on youtube, for example:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKu62WrpQFM&t=210s
where is a demonstration of continuous volume control using the Stream Deck button, which was one of the most important reasons for its purchase. I installed the ā€œMidi controller pluginā€ from the Stream deck store, where similar controls are possible, but I have no idea if it can be implemented in Cantabile, and if so, how?

Here is one example of what I need, either using the Stream Deck button or in another way:

eg: I will use when playing strings. When switching to another state, or by pressing the Stream deck button or the button of another midi controller, I need a gradual automatic attenuation to a certain level and at the same time e.g. Hammond will automatically amplify to a certain level. Where I can determine the speed, or curve, of the action.

Brad, please, could you advise me on the easiest way to solve this? A specific practical example from which I could learn would help me.

Big thanks,

Premysl

Hi @pp3152premysl

Currently Cantabile doesnā€™t have great support for ā€œanimatedā€ adjustments of values - so youā€™ll have to resort to either plugins or other approaches (like youā€™ve suggested) to achieve this.

That said, I do have some ideas on how to improve this, but I want to be properly engineered and will probably require a significant reworking of Cantabileā€™s bindings (which have outgrown their original design requirements).

Sorry I donā€™t have a better answer right now.

Brad

This has nothing to do with using Stream Deck. It seems that you just want to trigger a sequence of control values.

I do this with a few pre-recorded MIDI files. I have them loaded into Media Players and I trigger playback when I need them - playback then produces the stream of control changes and I direct/translate them to where I need them to go.

1 Like

@Neil_Durant I just noticed your SD Profile includes Cantabile processing load and current expression pedal value - how are you creating and populating those?

You can use the String Expression button to create things like this:

Available variables are listed here.

eg: $(Load) will give you load percentage:

Iā€™m not exactly sure how Neilā€™s setup the expression pedal but Iā€™m guessing by using the onscreen-keyboard controller variables.

3 Likes