Official Cantabile Stream Deck Plugin Now Available

Thanks. I’ve managed to get the load feature working, but not the pedal amount. Hopefully Neil will shed the light!

Thanks to @brad for a really nice comprehensive answer about showing load in the StreamDeck buttons - that’s exactly how I do it.

For the expression pedal value, it’s as @brad guessed - I route a copy of my expression pedal controller data to the on-screen keyboard, and then use this value in StreamDeck (and the Cantabile Controller bar):

$(formatNumber(cc(11,4) * 100.0 / 127, "N0")) %

cc(11,4) means MIDI controller 11, on channel 4. The rest is just scaling, and dropping off any decimal places.

It would be great if one day we could drive a graphical bar/fader from controller values in StreamDeck buttons :slight_smile:

Neil

3 Likes

That sounds like a challenge… I like it.

2 Likes

I’ll give this a try. What part of this expression knows that you’re dealing with the on-screen keyboard? Is it just assumed for any cc? Is is possible to target a specific port?

All the MIDI variables that you can use with the controller bar (and consequently with the StreamDeck) refer to the on-screen keyboard. So to display a value on the controller bar, you’ll need to send it (route or binding) to the on-screen keyboard. See the guides on this.

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Got it. Thanks. This should be simple enough to set up, and it’s got me thinking about other useful ‘life-saver’ information I can now add to the Stream Deck display - including the open/closed state of my on-stage mic!

This gets better and better! :+1:

1 Like

I don’t know why I didn’t think of that. Simple and effective. Just a little work with midi files. Thank you very much, The_Elf

1 Like

Hi Neil,
How are you configuring the scrollable list of Songs? I only see $(SongTitle) and $(NextSong).
Is your scrollable list based on your set list?
Thank you,

• David

There’s a section in the guide on setting up scrollable lists of songs and states

2 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out @brad. However, I actually prefer using the Next Song, Previous Song buttons - and then I use $(SongTitle) and $(NextSong) for display. With this configuration my current song is always in the same square and I can still ‘look’ ahead to the next song.
I’m wondering if you could do something similar to ‘Load Index’ with the ‘Next Song’. I would like to see (Next Song +1) or (Current Song + 2).

Alternatively, and this may be preferable, could you make the Load Index work in conjunction with the Next Song button, but scroll the list instead of moving the ‘active’ square?

Thank you, -David

Interesting idea… logged it here for now.

I have just setup the Stream Deck on Cantabile. I use them all the time with vMix, and I mostly use BitFocus companion to control the SD. Is that an option? Or perhaps overkill?

Secondly, is it possible to control rack states (embedded rack), or is Song States all there is?

Thanks, btw, for fantastic software, and now for amazing control thereof. :slight_smile:

Hi @ricksteuart

I’m aware of the Bitfocus companion but I haven’t looked at it in any detail so I can’t really say off hand how it fits together.

Nothing built-in for that right now. If you just want a simple next/previous state buttons then you could probably set that up with the bindings action. I’ve logged this for consideration here, but let me know what you’re after here - a scrollable list, just next/previous etc…

Brad

Thanks for your response @brad!

Here’s what I’m doing. I’m using 2 keyboards in my rig. I’d like to pull up a song and have my states available (by index) for each keyboard. I may need to pull up a sound on the top keyboard, and then another on the bottom at a different point. Also, putting instruments into linked racks (as you suggest in your video) and would like to create states for different patches in that linked rack. The ability to then choose patches based on whichever rack is loaded in the song would be great. I have used bindings and the “midi” implementation on the SD to call the states from the bottom keyboard rack. It works, but it’s a little klunky.

I know, really long (and convoluted) reply. Sorry. :blush:

Perhaps the states by index parameter on the stream deck button could allow for index 0,1 for state 1 on the song rack, index 1,1 for state 1 on the first rack, etc.? Just tossing an idea out there.

Anyway, I’ll keep working on my setup, and I appreciate your time. :blush:

I used Companion to control a mapping projector and, though it worked, the software is clunky and doesn’t play well with others. I wouldn’t go back to it.

Hi, this topic is really interesting and it’s convinced me try a Stream Deck. I just have a question with setup please. With enabling Cantabile’s network server, does this require the Laptop to be connected to the internet?
I’d be running Stream deck on the same Laptop as Cantabile. I prefer to not have Wifi, bluetooth or Antivirus enabled so the laptop doesn’t run slow etc.
Thanks in advance, Terry.

1 Like

Not 100% positive this works or not for this particular situation, but in general, specifying the IP address as 127.0.0.1 will point traffic to the local machine. So if the web server is also set at 127.0.0.1, they should see each other. In theory, that should be all that’s needed to run everything on the local machine and not have external internet connectivity active.

1 Like

thanks for the info Sekim.
I’ve since discovered Stream Deck is only for Windows 10 so that rules me out (still running Win7). Cheers.

For those checking this in the future, you do not need to be connected to the internet. Just make sure Cantabile’s network server box is checked in the options. I received my Stream Deck today and it took about 5 minutes to set up.

I haven’t done the upgrade to the new Binding version. In this discussion Brad referenced volume control limitations with the old binding system. Does this new version allow for Steam Deck to control bindings to volume controls?