Multiple outs from one song?

Is there a way to configure Cantabile so that it sends multiple outputs from one song to my hardware mixing console so that for example, my Hammond B3x could be mixed on a different channel than say my Pianoteq piano? Would I need a multichannel sound card for that, something like This?

Hi Lee,

The answer is yes with any interface that has multichannel audio output. The Scarlett would give you 4 mono, 2 stereo or 2 mono and a stereo output. After the driver install and connection you simply create the audio ports in Cantabile and reroute your objects to the output you want.

Dave

You would need a multi-channel audio interface. But many multi-channel audio interfaces come in the form of a mixer, reducing complexity and cabling.

Take a look at something like the Zoom Live-Trak range as good examples, but there are many others.

Interesting. So within Cantabile would each instrument be assigned to a different channel out which would in turn be assigned to a different output on the audio interface?

Yes, but also more. As an example my setup:

I have defined 2 Keyboard Outs, 2 Backing Track Outs, 2 Clicktrack Outs and 2 Inear Outs (so 4 stereo pairs).

I then decide on song level which source feeds which output with which level. Of course, this also includes mixes of multiple sources. Basically I can create any mix matrix per song. That simple assignments are possible with it, I think is self-explanatory.

Greetings, Volker

thanks guys. Iā€™m not in need of this kind of setup at this time but itā€™s good to know that with the right equipment it is possible.

I use a Focusrite, and it only has two 1/4 ā€˜ā€™ (left and right) outputs, but it does have an ADAT type out, which Iā€™ve never used. The left and right can be used as two mono outs. There have been times when I used the two headphone outputs as a way to separate instruments into a mixer.

I have a ā€œMaster Outputā€ rack that routes my instruments to the available outputs. It has two stereo inputs (keys and guitars) and includes EQ and limiting and volume control (persistent across songs) for both stereo channels. After processing, it sends the results to three outputs: Keys, Guitar (both for FOH) and Monitor (for me). So when I make volume changes to my monitor signal during the gig (I have a fader on my keyboard dedicated for that), I donā€™t affect the FOH mixā€¦

Depending on the hardware config that Iā€™m running, the output port routing will either be mono (Cantabile will map both L and R of a stereo signal to the same physical port) or stereo - no need to change anything to my song files.

@Torsten - Iā€™d be interested to know how you route instruments into your Master Output rack. I tried creating a Master Output rack in my background rack, but the only way i could come up with to route instruments into in was via loopback ports, and i found the extra latency to be a deal killer. Are you using a linked rack that gets included in every song, or is there some trick to adding and accessing ports in the background rack ?

Thanks,
ā€“ Jimbo

As far as I know Jimbo, you donā€™t want to put the master rack in the background rack, put it in each of your songs and route the outputs of your racks/instruments there. Like you said, getting audio in and out of the background rack is a pitaā€¦

P

No fancy trick - as you suspected, Iā€™m using a linked rack that gets included in all of my songs. Iā€™ve set it to be independent of the song, so that the song doesnā€™t control selected state or levels, so any changes I make to levels or EQ in my master rack carry across all songs. Of course, Iā€™ve also set it to not save these changes, so I start up with a clean slate on every gig or rehearsalā€¦

Cheers,

Torsten

Or, if you have 2 2-channel (old or cheap or both old and cheap) USB interfaces, you could use ASIO4ALL to combine them as a sort of virtual Mac-Type audio interface. A lot of crap to plug in and set up. If you are into that. I use my Montage 7 as my audio interface. If I need to break off individual instruments for the sound man, then I use a Uphoria1820 (even though I am not into Behringer).

ASIO4ALL can also integrate your headphone out with a 2-channel USB audio interface. Just sayinā€™.

1 Like

Yes, some adventurous mad scientists have shown it to work, but it can be a fiddly hit-and-miss solution. I wouldnā€™t really trust such a cobbled-together integration in a real live situation where my performance and peace of mind depends on this working reliably.

If @LeesKeys is planning to use this in a live situation, I would definitely recommend investing in a reasonable-quality (and low-latency-performance) multi-channel interface with solid ASIO drivers.

An alternative approach would be to ā€œconvertā€ the existing stereo output to two separate mono outputs and sending the piano to the left and the Hammond to the right channel. No need to fiddle with pan settings at the song level - simply

• have one logical output port ā€œmain outā€, another ā€œsecond outputā€
  • map both stereo channels of ā€œmain outā€ to the left channel of your physical audio interface, map both channels of the ā€œsecond outputā€ to the right channel
  • in your songs, send the output from the piano to ā€œmain outā€, the hammond to ā€œsecond outā€
  • connect the left and right output of your audio interface to separate channels on your console - done!
  • and if you decide to invest in a 4-channel interface at some later time, thereā€™s no need to change anything in your songs - simply change the routing of your audio ports to the new interface: main out to 1/2, second out to 3/4 - now you have stereo sends to the console!

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes