LivePrompter: One More Sneak Peek

Thanks to Flutter, the Windows version of the next generation LivePrompter is taking shape. Network connection to Cantabile working nicely; MIDI and network connection between multiple LivePrompter instances still missing, because the underlying Flutter libraries don’t support the Windows platform yet. I may have to roll my own MIDI implementation, which will take some time…

Performance and handling is amazing - especially compared to the “classic” Windows version.

Will do a couple more days of testing, then I may put it out in the wild for the more daring LivePrompter users.

Cheers,

Torsten

4 Likes

I finally seems to get a little time on my hands, plan to take a shot at the 41xx and can also try the LivePrompter setup, if needed. I use it in a simple setup on one pc with Cantabile, using loopMidi for connection. Let me know if you want me to try it out.

Great - I’ll post a download link once I’m ready to put it out in the wild. Still stomping out some final nasty critters…

Since MIDI support is still some time out, you can try the new “Cantabile Connection” to link Cantabile and LivePrompter - when you run Cantabile and LivePrompter on the same machine, you can simply connect LivePrompter to 127.0.0.1:35007 – network server needs to be activated on Cantabile

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

And here another sneak peek - here are two additional platforms:

LivePrompter is getting ready for world-domination - macOS and iOS versions are looking really good!

Flutter really is an amazing multi-platform toolkit. Still, a couple of platform-specific idiosyncrasies are keeping me busy before I can try to let this beast out of its cage…

6 Likes

My iPad thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, test version running nicely on my iPads (mini and regular). Will just need to jump through a couple of hoops to get this into the App Store…

1 Like

Send me a PM with your email, then I’ll add you to the beta test if you’re adventurous. You’ll need to use Apple TestFlight to run the beta, but that’s pretty straightforward.

Cheers,

Torsten

Hey Torsten,

if you want to give it a try, you can download it at https://www.liveprompter.com/downloads/LivePrompter2Setup-1.3.3.21.exe

Here’s a (preliminary) manual page on how to install and configure the new Windows version:
https://www.liveprompter.com/help/help-mobile/advanced-help-v2/windows-version-installation-and-initial-configuration/

Have fun!

Torsten

2 Likes

Definitely interested in trying to get this thing working on iPad.

OK, for everyone who wants to get involved, I’ve opened up the beta test:

Once you’ve installed it, here are the instructions to get going:

https://www.liveprompter.com/help/introduction/

The instructions are for Android, but the iOS version behaves pretty much the same - if you find differences, let me know :wink:

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Test Flight tells me I need a code…

once you have TestFlight installed, open the beta test link on the IOS device - it has the code embedded, so TestFlight should open with the code.

If that doesn’t work, send me a PM with your email address, and I’ll have Apple send you an invite.

I have no idea where the ‘beta test link’ is. I’m guessing you’re thinking I’m accessing this forum on an iPad, maybe? But I’m not.

I will pm you.

Scratch that - I’ve figured it out! :+1:

For others who want to test and are similarly confused: the beta test link is the link in the post above “Join the LivePrompter 2 beta”.

Once you have TestFlight installed, you’ll need to open this forum page on your iPad / iPhone, then click that link.

I got it installed. Can I reuse the old .ini file, or do I need to configure my settings from scratch? And my songs look different, seems like the {sot} does not work in my old song files? It usually looked like this:

But the new versions shows me

And one comment, I really liked the drop-down for selecting setlist in the old version. Might be complicated if the same setup is used on both mobile and pc platform. Well, clicking the menu and selecting the setlist, or clicking the name of current setlist and selecting it, basically same procedure, so might be easy to get used to.

Unfortunately, LivePrompter 2 doesn’t understand .ini files, so yes, you’ll have to configure from scratch

{sot} still does what it is supposed to do (switches to fixed-width font), but you seem to be the only person using LivePrompter with the “ChordsAboveText=false” setting, so your chords are embedded with the lyrics (or in your case, the chord sheet format you created). Unfortunately, this setting hasn’t made it into LivePrompter 2 - simply wasn’t used broadly; people just got used to the “standard way” of having their chords above the lyrics.

What would work in LP2 is using “chord-only lines” - whole lines of chords, with anything else just copied:

{sot}
[| F       | G       | Bb       |]
[| C       | G    A  | D   F    |]
[| F       | G       | A   B    |]
{eot}

This would output as
grafik
and transposing and capo would work with this

BTW: why did you put the chord options outside the brackets? In the ChordPro, standard, chords are supposed to be completely inside the bracket, so they can be recognized as chords. I guess you abused the standard for optical reasons; but this won’t work without the Inline-Chords option.

What I typically do for pure chord sections without lyrics is use this format:

Guitar Solo:
|[G]............|............|[G]......[D]......|[C]............|
|[G]............|[D]............|[C]............|[G]............|
|[Em]............|[D]............|[C]............|[G]............|
|[Am]............|[C]............|[Em]............|......[D]......|

No need to use {sot} with this; I just prepare an empty grid of |.............| (12 dots, so it divides by 4 and 3), then I can put my chords in where they make sense by counting the dots, and they’ll be rendered at the right place above the grid. Looks like this:

grafik

If you have a lot of chords close together, you may need to use more than 12 dots…

Yup, I’ve gotten used to it very quickly - in fact, using the “old” version feels kinda clunky to me these days. Especially with the new version being so much smoother in its interaction, especially scrolling the song list. And I’m not missing the old drop-down at all - and I am certainly the longest-time user of the “classic” LivePrompter…

Thanks for testing and for the feedback!

Cheers,

Torsten

BTW: here’s “All Of Me” in my version:

{title:All Of Me}

Form: A A B >A B< A B
{c:Piano fills in first verse, sax solo}

Verse:
|[Cmaj]..................|..................|[E7]..................|..................|
|[A7]..................|..................|[Dm]..................|..................|
|[E7]..................|..................|[Am]..................|..................|
|[D7]..................|..................|[Dm7]..................|[G7]..................|

Chorus:
|[Cmaj]..................|..................|[E7]..................|..................|
|[A7]..................|..................|[Dm]..................|..................|
|[F]..................|[Fm]..................|[Cmaj].........[Em7].........|[A7]..................|
|[Dm7]..................|[G7]..................|[C6].........[Ebdim].........|[Dm7].........[G7].........|

Looks like this:

I used 18 dots per bar for this one; may need to use 24, because of the long chord options - last two lines are a bit ragged…

The cool thing about this approach is that transposing doesn’t mess the layout up too badly - may create some gaps, but not as bad as using fixed-width would mess things up when Ebdim suddenly becomes Fdim…

OK, I’ll work out the configuration, I can just look in the ini file and see what I used for colors etc.

I don’t use the lyrics, I only use the chords, so that is why I used the setting. And yes, moved the chord options out so they were dimmed, somehow made reading chords easier for me. I don’t need it, was just convenient. I will stick with the first option, I am struggling to keep an entire song in one screen, to avoid scrolling - to old fashioned, used to paper, and also tried to avoid having too many pages :-).

One small comment, I used 127.0.0.1 for the connection, to avoid setting up a static IP number, and it seems that LivePrompter confirms the connection, though the song changes does not reflect in Cantabile, have to look a little more into this.

Ah - ok. I also need to work with the layout of the songs. But that will be later, first thing is to get connection to Cantabile to work :-).

Yes, as long as LivePrompter and Cantabile are on the same machine, 127.0.0.1:35007 works nicely without having to give your PC a fixed IP. In my setup, Cantabile runs on a PC and LivePrompter on a tablet, so I need to have a fixed IP.

Essentially for this to work:

• “Change Cantabile Songs” needs to be active
  • Songs in Cantabile need to be in a setlist and have a program change associated to them
  • the same program change needs to be in MidiSend.txt in your LivePrompter MIDI folder

You can use the Diagnostics page to look inside the working of the connection. Use “Check Song PCs” to find songs that don’t have a Program Change associated with them. You can also connect to Cantabile and get some more detailed protocol information.