Introducing Routing Diagrams

This will be really helpful. Brad you are are truly a wizard.

I read this silly but entertaining book called “Off To Be The Wizard” by Scott Meyer (BTW, not a kids book) about a guy who finds a file online that when modified changes reality. Brad reminds me of the “wizards” (people who’ve found the file) in the book.

1 Like

This works really well. :slight_smile:

It is great to be able to click on the wiring diagram and see what you have set on a route in terms of filters and the like. It’s made me notice unnecessary ports in my racks, which I’ve cleaned up. So, I like it. :slight_smile:

Only one problem I have noticed so far. I moved the divider on the output ports to minimise that view, and now I cannot restore it.

Not yet except by keystrokes. Working on touch pinch to zoom, but not done yet.

Don’t forget the “Edit - Trim Unused Ports” commands are your friend for this.

That’s a bug, it’s on my to-do list for the next build.

Thanks, Brad

I’m embarrassed for not noticing some of the menu options, like that trim unused ports one. Look forward to the bug fix as well, so I can get the output ports back on that diagram! But I really love that diagram feature. I’m comfortable with the rack view, but seeing things in a flow diagram is good as well. :slight_smile:

@brad You are a monster! Really amazing job! Bravo!

Build 3582 is available now. Download here.

Changes include:

• You can now zoom in/out using:

• Ctrl + Mouse Wheel
    • Ctrl + Page Up/Down
    • Two finger pinch (touch screen devices)
  • Clicking on a port without dragging will select all routes connected to that port. This can be used to highlight routes to/from a port.

• Added Shift+click/drag to pan

• Fixed - entire routing diagram went white if scrolled enough

• Fixed - resizing the output ports area while scrolled horizontally doing crazy stuff.

Let me know if you have feedback, or find bugs.

9 Likes

Hey Brad,

All new functions working well here! Zoom function hot keys (Ctrl and Shift) + Mouse wheel works well for zooming and dragging to the view I want pretty quickly. I especially like the port indicator feature, very helpful.

Dave

1 Like

Now it’s perfect for me! A great tool to build and review setups. Great help in identifying routing hiccups.

I’ll have to see how I’ll actually build new songs in future - probably a mix of views. The table view helps with a quick overview of the loaded rack states and having all the gain faders and levels at the same time, so I’ll probably do the sound fine-tuning there, but the routing view is great for assembling the components and making sure everything is connected right.

Wouldn’t want to lose either one - great that we can now have both! Epic improvement, @brad !

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

@brad

I have a bit of an anomaly here. There appears to be plenty of screen space, but the top part of my rack diagram runs off the page. You can see Keys 3 Horns, but missing mic in, piano, etc. I can shift-drag it down, but releasing the “click” makes it jumps back up… I can’t seem to get a picture of the jump as I don’t have enough hands to hold the drag and activate the Snip tool :slight_smile:

Anything else you need? Is this where you want bug reports?

Richard

Should have thought to include the table view

What happens if you simply move the “Final Master” rack down? I guess the auto-arrange algorithm didn’t cater for the high number of input ports; but you should be able to change the position manually, so that all ports are visible.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Yes, it occurred to me later to move things around. And to get rid of unused and redundant import ports.

Correct, auto arrange doesn’t take plugin/rack/mediaplayer ports into account. Auto arrange is a super hard problem to solve for all situations so the approach I took was to have it do a decent job for the most common scenarios. It only takes into account the objects themselves and the connections between them.

1 Like

Great! This feature really helps finding your way in complex routings. Great job, Thanks! @brad!

I have a touch screen. When I zoom out completely using two finger pinch or Ctrl + Mouse Wheel and then try to zoom in again with two finger pinch it doesn’t work. Ctrl + Mouse wheel does work flawlessly.

Jan

Thanks for reporting I’ll check it out.

Hi @JanM

I’ve not been able to reproduce this. Can you record a quick video showing the problem and send it to me. (Best to record with external camera/phone so can see taps etc…)

Brad

Yes yes yes! Thx Brad!
Would be great if the route lights up like the midi LEDs do, so you can see the flow.

2 Likes

Wow…I go away for a week and come back to find lots of new goodies in Cantabile!!! Superb feature @brad, and really nicely executed!

I like the way disabled routes appear in a dimmer colour. But one feature I’d like is to be able to see routes that exist in other song/rack states, but not the current one, perhaps with a faint dotted line or something.

I quite often have state behaviour enabled for route targets, and switch them between states, so the ability to see the entirety of connections for all states would be really useful - for example, to see when a plugin is never routed to. It would be great for tidying up complex racks that have become messy over time.

Neil

I’ve considered this and it would be cool… my only concern is the routing diagrams can be complex to draw and I’m a little concerned how this might impact performance if redrawing at a high update rate. I’m probably being a bit paranoid, but still something I need to consider.

Interesting idea. I’ll need to look into it to see how difficult that is to implement, but it makes sense. You’d probably want an option to show/hide these extra routes and I’d probably not allow editing them when they’re dotted out.

2 Likes

I agree, it would definitely need a show/hide option for that, to avoid clutter (on that subject, I love the Tab idea, to clean up the view!). And I agree, only routes in the current state should be editable, partly because otherwise you could be inadvertently editing routings in multiple states at once!!

Neil

1 Like