How Not To End A Gig

Hi Corky,

Glad you made through that. Please let us know if doc’s can figure out what happened.

Side story somewhat related. A friend of mine is in a band that formed in 2019. They are steadily improving and have had success at local pubs and are attracting a following. They are all in their 60’s.

I’ve been showing up at their gigs toward the end to watch them finish up and then help them load out. They are more appreciative than you would think, it’s got me thinking about ways small venue bands could somehow get some trusted volunteer assistance loading out.

1 Like

That’s great Doug! You know I went on a reduction of gear 2 years ago, but things have drastically changed since then. The venue I was playing is a fairly large one, and was packed, but load-in/load-out is one of the worst. We had some help with staff. Unfortunately, many venues have stopped providing PA, so it is upon us to provide it. More gear to carry, longer to setup and tear down. No protection from the weather, and no parking spaces left. Makes it very difficult for our older musicians.
This was my same band who recently lost our drummer unexpectedly. You could only imagine what their thoughts were when they saw me leave in an ambulance.

They are also bringing a PA. Same issues with parking and weather. I worried at first that they would be let down I didn’t come for the whole show but decided they would rather have me show up more often and help load out.

1 Like

In some places I have gigged, offers of help for a load out would mean parting company with your gear permanently. Those are the ones where we load out on a rota - somebody is always in the venue and somebody is always by the van!

That happens on Beale St in Memphis. Paid parking lots 2 blocks away from venues. Always someone saying “Hey mane! Let me carry your gear-tar for 5 dollas”, knowing good well he will run off with it, and will check out your vehicle while you are taking a load to the venue. I stopped playing there several years ago. Just not safe for musicians.

2 Likes

Think we’ve all done those! The corollary is of course the places where you get to know the punters and also the fans that (within a certain distance) are always there, and their help is gratefully accepted.

But what I’ve never understood, and it’ll remain a universal mystery, is those prats who insist in standing in the doorway whilst you’re trying to load out!

2 Likes

Wow. Get well soon Corky!

1 Like

Oh’; sad to hear this Corky - get well soon - all the best.

1 Like

Best wishes Corky to get well soon!
Bobby

1 Like

Get well soon Corky!!!

1 Like

All the best and get well soon!

Steffen

1 Like

Corky,

I’m certainly glad there was a Repeat Sign in your “Life” song. We’re sending prayers down from these hills of WV.

Doug

2 Likes

Get well soon mate, many more road warrior years left in you yet!

P

1 Like

Corky,
You are a blessing to all of us! This is serious stuff. I will commit this to prayer for you. Regardless of religious affiliation, or non affiliation, I pray for wisdom for the medical staff in providing healing for you!

John

4 Likes

Really sorry to hear this Corky, but I’m so glad you are on the mend! Sending best wishes and much appreciation for all that you’ve done for this community!
Tom

1 Like

Hi Corky, Hope you the best from Guadeloupe. Get well as soon as possible.

Pierrick

1 Like

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, and here’s hoping you’ll be back behind the keys in no time,

1 Like

Oh sh!t! Hope you’re ok! Get better quick. I’m having some issues myself but nothing that major. Sucks getting old.

1 Like

Ugh. Get the tests and a speedy recovery for you.

1 Like

:nauseated_face::nauseated_face::nauseated_face::scream::scream::hugs:

Get better soon! 6th Street in Austin is like Beale Street. We played there Friday night, streets blocked off, parking uphill about a mile away. It’s been pretty shutdown for 2 years. It was pretty ugly. One of our guitar players left last gig in an ambulance. He’s diabetic, thought we were going to have to carry him out of this gig. He’s gotta downsize his rig. Just can’t bring the whole music store anymore.

1 Like