Gforce Software released OB-E - UPDATE: Now available on PC also as OB-E V2!

Well, their interpretation has a terrific GUI, but terrible preset quality. Better results programming a sound from scratch, although the quality overall is not high.
The last weekend I played a bit with the OB-E (in a friend’s studio), it’s one light years ahead the Cherry Music. Anyway, at 24€, it worth.

I ended up buying the Cherry Audio. It was only $29 US and I couldn’t resist. I’m enjoying it a lot, but I have no idea how it compares to the hardware. It’s a bit of a CPU hog too. I will probably end up buying the G-Force one if it ever comes out for Windows.

• Paul

I couldn’t resist too. It worth, no doubt. The OB-E sound is more lush, more similar to the early Oberheim SEM modules and the OB-X.
It’s CPU hungry, as well the Arturia SEM V, OB-Xa V, and the DiscoDSP OB-Xd.
Like you, I hope in the Windows version of the OB-E.

Paolo

1 Like

I bought the Cherry version too. I played a little and found it good enough. Programming is quite easy. Stereo panning spreading different voices works pretty well. Really good for the price

Right. It’s not bad, the stereo panning is one of the most interesting feature. At $29!

Now available for PC and on sale… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

… but only two installations possible.

Hooray! Thanks Derek :slightly_smiling_face:

gaaaaah :confounded::confounded::confounded:

2 is tight :frowning:
I don’t fancy part of my pre-gig routine being shifting activations from a studio machine to a live or backup one.
I just wish Sonic Projects would add an oversampling option to OPX

Might be worth raising that with GForce. I had an issue with some other software the other day when I exceeded the activation limit, so the supplier pointed that out, but when I explained why to the supplier they resolved it by giving me extra activations at no cost.

1 Like

I’d do the same if I bought the plugin but if you have more of these plugins it could easily get annoying. Same is with some plugins with copy protection from a well known company. Some of them phone home everytime I start the application. This is not how loyal customers should be treated.

Just finally had time to play with it (oooeeer, Matron :wink: ) and it sounds amazing

2 Likes

You know, @Derek, it really does. I just sprung for it also. A major factor in this thing’s amazingness is that Tom Oberheim and designer Marcus Ryle contributed to the further tweaking and perfecting of the original GForce concept. Here is their text below:

As we neared the release of OB-E® , we were contacted by Tom Oberheim and Marcus Ryle (an Oberheim engineer in the 1980s) who were impressed enough to suggest a collaboration offering support to refine OB-E and to release the v2 update carrying their full endorsement. Despite receiving several Best Soft Synth 2021 awards, working under the guidance of Tom and Marcus, we further enhanced the already incredible sounding OB-E . Refining the Detune feature and adding a new Vintage control, dials in more realistic musical inaccuracies in line with the original instrument for a truly authentic 8-Voice experience.

I am mightily impressed. This is the sound I have been seeking. It is wholly amazing sounding.

Terry

2 Likes

Yes, I saw the Tom Obie involvement and endorsement, which is kudos itself indeed. :slight_smile:

There was something very organic sounding about it when I demoed it. I have liked all GForce products, but I think they have excelled themselves here. I have the Cherry Audio obie and the Arturia SEM, but I think the differences are like night and day.

1 Like

I hate threads like this. They’re so EXPENSIVE! :rofl: (as I open my wallet)

3 Likes

Pulled the trigger on OB-E. I have plenty of Oberheim VSTs and I wouldn’t normally spend $140 US on a single instrument. But this emulation is special, warm, thick, animated, with a great set of presets. It is in my opinion the gold standard of SEM instruments.

3 Likes

Hi all,
Do you experiment a stability preference between vst2 vs. vst3 versions ?

Thanks for your reviews and feedback…

VST 3 has been more stable for me. VST 2 version seems to have an occasional crashing problem. I’ve not had time to check it out, so I really can’t comment much about it. I just load VST3 version and move on song creation. BTW…I am using OB-E ver 2.

Corky

1 Like

Thank you @Corky, I’ll go with vst3 so. :wink:

1 Like