Essential requirements for "Live Mode"

Ski88, I don’t know if this is quite what you’re asking for, but I use iPad app Set List Maker to display chords and lyrics for each song. It is “synched” with Cantabile 3 using iConnectMidi+2. With these items communicating properly, every time I swipe to a new song on the SLM set list, it triggers the correct song in my Cantabile set list.

1 Like

Hi Brad,
Here’s a summary of my essentials based upon the excellent suggestions so far:

Songs in the setlist, with the current one highlighted

Song states in the current song, with the current one highlighted

Large, clear buttons for next/previous song / song state

Tempo / time signature

Flashing beat indicator,

Load
Level meters for output channels

Option to auto-relaunch Cantabile in the last known good song / song state if it happens to crash

A one click link to a PDF of the chord charts for the currently selected song -Very helpful for unfamiliar material

Time - useful to know during gigs, especially if you take your watch off while on stage

Main Outs Volume Sliders by the output meters

Midi activity flasher to confirm that midi is being recieved by Cantabile - very helpful in quickly diagnosing a connection or hardware problem at a gig

MIDI Panic Button

Abilty to select from song list with mouse or touch screen or pad randomly (instead of using prev/next buttons) for when you need to go to a song quickly- Setlists often get ignored by the bandleader once a gig starts

Mouse Selectable Setlist with Current Song Highlighted (similar idea as above)

Ouput meters

Ability to select background and font colors.

2 Likes

I think this one translates to the ability to have buttons / keyboard shortcuts in live mode that can activate triggers. Then each song can have a trigger to load the appropriate PDF viewer and file (or whatever score/chord chart viewer you need).

Thanks everyone who’s posted here - very useful. I’ve spent a little time on a conceptual design for this which I’m quite happy with, covers most of the major points here and I hope is not too much work.

Still no promises on delivering this before launch, but a first pass attempt is still a possibility.

1 Like

LeesKeys…I am on android. One of my issues, is that some of my gigs are current pop, top40, R&B, and country. Many written lines 4 different instruments. So I need something like a PDF Reader since my requirements require more detail.

A post was split to a new topic: Building Live Mode

Agree - jmo, but I run an iPad running the chart reader, and C3 on laptop running everything else. Seems to me, to be the perfect combo! It is WAY too awkward to try and run charts all your music on the same device, believe me I have tried, MANY times…which is why I have evolved to the present setup. jm2c haha!

1 Like

I do display leadsheets with current Show Notes feature. Don’t know what I’d do without it.

On the ipad I run Unrealbook software for the charts. An advantage of this app is it can send midi messages (including sysex strings) via midi over any channel to any external hardware. It can do this when a chart is loaded automatically, and with “user-defined Hot Spots” where a simple touch of the spot sends whatever is set in it. These can be activated at any time.

Once I get me head fully around C3, I will set up various program changes within UnrealBook to control synths in C3. I still stress that imo, running a separate device for charts is vital!

What I’m totally missing in LiveMode is a view of current controller-state, especially Volume/Expression.

This could either be

• in a seperate tab where “Show notes - Routes - Binding” is now
  • or be part of the Montor-Tab in left side-panel.

It should be configurable to show different controllers (07, 11), different Midi-inputs (or all), show range from 0-20 or 0-127.
Also this should be quite big, or adjustable to fill half the screen.

The reason for beeing so essential to me is, that I’m mainly in theater-business.
Here we usually have loads of differend sounds and exact remarks for specific volume they should be played in (which changes of course).

If it’s not clear what I’m thinking of, I’m happy to give examples!

1 Like

Good suggestion - it aims to solve the same problem as something I suggested here. My guess is that when Brad gets chance to implement something like either of these suggestions, it’ll be bigger, better and more flexible :relaxed:

Incidentally, remember that you can pre-program things like volume levels into song states in Cantabile, so you can step through exact volume changes, without having to dial them in with a physical controller (unless you need the effect of actual fades in/out). And even with fades, you can program song states to allow fading between specific start/end controller values (i.e. use the whole range of your hardware controller, and it’ll map to a specific range to fade over).

Neil

1 Like

Thanks @Jeff_Frohner

I’m aware of this kind of requirement and it’s one of a few things that are all related. Sometimes these things just need to sit and simmer for a while before a good solution pops out. :slight_smile:

Brad

Doesn’t this really address the entire issue?
Does one actually want to be moving sliders into place for precise volume targets during a live performance, or does one want to hit a button and have it be there.
Couldn’t naming a state with appropriate information be the simple and readily available answer?

No, not my requirements.
I need to have a visible controller-state to be able to perform a controlled volume-swell from 60 to 100, two bars later go back to 80, …
With a seperate state could end up with 20 states per sound (only for volume changes) and - more important - the volume changes would be sudden, instead of smooth musical fades.

Jeff, that is precise indeed. This is why I love Cantabile, and used to do this kind of maneuver even in Cantabile 2 - most certainly available in C3.
We’re talking about a very exact moves between CC values - not only instant, but swells and fades.
Not so easy to do on a controller slider or knob within a couple of bars. Easy to overshoot and arrive in the wrong place.
Understanding this, one is looking for a reliable method which ensures all targets are reached with certainty. Does this, below, have any appeal? Media player has a selection of midi files containing required controller values. One click of a button on my keyboard controller, and the values are sent, accurately and more reliably than can be achieved, especially under pressure, by hand.
As you can tell, this could be instant or a slow fade - whatever the midi file is instructing.
Just some food for thought:

PS - I still think a live controller monitor would be cool

2 Likes

Nice idea - but I think Jeff would need a whole load of such media players in order to handle the controller gymnastics he needs to be able to do, and separately trigger them. Seems like the ultimate solution, if it were to be automated, would be a kind of sequencer for controller values, with a kind of definable portamento effect to specify the fade times.

But otherwise, just a really nice big clear indication of the current controller value, and let Jeff do the fades :relaxed:

What would be useful would be to be able to choose where the data for this readout comes from - i.e. not necessarily just raw incoming controller data, but the data after scaling and jump prevention in routes. It almost feels like another object type would be required - a kind of live feedback object, where you route MIDI to it, choose what aspect of the MIDI to display, and it appears in some clear form in Live Mode.

Neil

Pleasy have a look at CCStepper, this little vst does exactly what you need. It is a (up to) 64 step sequencer wich outputs CC messages with great options to start and sync it to the tempo you need. I realize every automated control curve that i need. The best: It’s fro free and comes 32bit and 64bit.

Greetings, Tom

3 Likes

Hey Neil
And how many large CC displays would be required?
If there’s a ton of stuff requiring this kind of address then you have a real logistic issue.
And you don’t really need a ton of Media players.
What you do need is the midi files.
No?

Hi Ade,

I think from what Jeff has said, he’s just controlling volume, so only one CC display would be required.

The reason I thought multiple media players would be required was that Jeff needs to be doing multiple different fade types within a single song state. I’m not sure that could be achieved with a single media player, unless you can dynamically manipulate the currently selected MIDI file using bindings, which is starting to get fiddly.

However it looks like Tom’s suggestion of using CCStepper would do the trick, if Jeff was interested in automating it.

Either way, I still think there’s still good justification for being able to display some selected controller values in Live Mode, for cases where the user can’t automate, or would prefer not to. In my case for example, I generally do fade ins/outs, but using jump prevention, and sometimes I find I need to know if I’m actually modifying the controller at all or not (i.e. if jump prevention is keeping the controller locked). Visual feedback of the controller (post jump prevention) would be valuable in that case.

@brad, maybe it could be a special type of show note, that appears as a horizontal bar graph showing one selected controller value, along with the textual value of the controller. That way it could be shown/hidden for different parts of songs. Although I’m not clear how you’d select the source of the controller data (eg raw from the MIDI input, or after processing by bindings etc).

Neil

For how many destinations?

You can do a lot with one midi file