Suggestion: Controller bar as binding target

While sitting on a train the other day, I thought of really handy use for the Cantabile controller bar, and wondered if it would be possible, but appears it’s not possible currently. The idea is for a button on the controller bar to show a value (instead of a pre-defined caption), and that value can be the target of a binding. The particular use I had in mind was to have a background rack binding from my expression pedal, so that whenever the controller bar is visible, I can see the exact value being transmitted by the expression pedal. It would be so useful when setting up songs, working out what’s going on with unusual controllers, fiddling with jump prevention, and also as feedback for controllers when playing live.

Neil

3 Likes

Great idea here, Neil!

I get feedback for some controlled parameters (sliders) from my Kurzweil PC3K’s display, but it doesn’t give all information, like expression pedal or mod wheel. Getting a read-out via the controller bar is a brilliant idea - and would probably be pretty easy to realize!

And could we also have Show Notes variables that are controlled via bindings? We could display all kinds of funky information from inside Cantabile in our Show Notes!

Cheers,

Torsten

3 Likes

Oh yes, that would be great! Then things like expression pedal values could could be shown in show notes, just in the song states where it’s relevant. Or numerous other information from bindings. I love this Idea Torsten! So essentially variables usable in show notes or in controller bar captions.

I can see a possible overlap with the “user definable controls” feature request too…

Neil

1 Like

I like this and had considered something like this, but not necessarily for showing value - just moving an on-screen slider.

Again this all ties in with a few other things (user control panels, user variables etc…) but this might be a reasonably easy first step (though I don’t want to introduce anything that makes a better approach more difficult later)

Most of Cantabile 2 was written while sitting on the train. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Seems trains make creativity work. From J.K. Rowling’s official bio:

"J.K. Rowling first had the idea for Harry Potter while delayed on a train travelling from Manchester to London King’s Cross in 1990. "

2 Likes

In my case it was also on a train to King’s Cross. Trains are definitely good places for thinking, as Cantabile 2 proves!

Neil

1 Like

The thing that prompted this suggestion was the need to know when an expression pedal binding with jump prevention had locked on and started tracking controller input. Sometimes in songs I need to move the pedal until I know it has “caught” before carefully executing a fade, and often on stage it’s not obvious - I often have to move the pedal up and down slightly just so I can hear it’s having an effect.

I wonder if there’s some other way to provide this visual feedback, in lieu of an implementation of stuff described above?

Neil

1 Like