Hi all, I’ve been using DMXIS for a month or so in C3 and while it is very good I wanted more. Specifically.
- Grouping multiple fixtures. For example a “Singer” group contains the front lamps on the left and right quad bars. Other groups might be Guitarist, Front-stage, Back-stage, All lamps.
- Defining colours - an Amber or Violet colour may need tweaking from R255, G190, B0, and I only want to have to do this once, not on every fader and preset.
- Creating presets by applying colours to my groups of fixtures. eg, one look might be dimBlue Front Stage, dimAmber Back Stage and full white on the singer.
- Overrides, For example for a guitar solo preset, I might want to set the “All lights” group as dimMagenta, with an overlay of a BRIGHT YELLOW for the guitar light group only.
- For a song with say, a Drum intro, followed by bass, followed by guitar, followed by full band, I’d like to just trigger override cues for “drum”, “bass”, “guitar” to bring up the lights one by one on each performer, rather than having to save a preset for each combination.
All of this is the domain of the pro software packages. I tried 4 of them, and they are mostly difficult to use and expensive, and lack features such as tempo sync that I wanted for playing live.
I’ve created a helper sheet in Excel. which does all of the above. It then displays xml content for DMXIS for each preset. There is then an excel macro to actually spit out all the preset files, the bank files and the directory structure ready to place in the DMXIS data folder.
This means that if I add another light, or we move lights around on a stage, or I want to tweak a look or a colour, I can do it once in the Excel, press a button and it will re-generate all the DMXIS presets.
If anyone is interested I can spend some time tidying it up and share it.
Here’s what it looks like.
1st Define the colours we want to use
Then define the fixtures, channels and groups
Then define the presets that apply colours to fixtures directly or groups.
Then export the results into DMXIS. This is what the auto generated “before set” preset looks like
Here is the resulting preset list.
I map each DMXIS preset to a C3 rack state in my Lighting Racks. Adding a new song is then just a matter of picking the look I want from the Rack states.