Crash with version 3636 (last stable) with Sampletank 4.09

Oh…
Just updated C3 and tried to open a current setlist.
Three crashes, no way to go, guilty VST seems to be Sampletank4, which is already upgraded to last 4.0.9 release.

C3 sent error trace to its home

Before this crash I was using v3630 without any problem.
What next?

I downgraded to C3 3630 and everything runs well.
So it seems a C3 issue…

I have been having the same problem. I sent Brad some crash reports a couple weeks ago. I have been also been sticking to 3630 until it’s resolved.

Are you using the VST2 or VST3 SampleTank plugin?

Sorry Lorne, I have to check and I cannot do it before Monday night

I haven’t used Sampletank in quite awhile. so I still have version 3. I decided to try it with C3 3637. It works just fine…no problems. Understand, I am on Win 7 though.

I just tried the latest experimental version 3838, and it’s still crashing my SampleTank 4 VST3.

Furio, did you have a chance to see what VST version you are having problems with. I have just been holding back to 3630 and haven’t tried to rebuild with VST2.

Same here - Sampletank (latest) VST3 crashing (unhandled exception) - the VST2 version works.

Just checked.
Crash happens to me with VST3 version of Sampletank.
I got back to C3 version 3630 and everything runs well.
I will keep this setup until we have a solution.
No news from Brad until now?

I decided to create some new VST2 racks for my SampleTank 4 so I can upgrade Cantabile to the latest version. I’ll revert to the VST3 racks if and when it’s working. I’ve offered up capturing any additional crash reports for Brad.

Sorry to ask for simple things.
What are advantages of using VST3 instead of VST2?
I tend to use the “latest”, but if 3 means less safety than 2, I can change my mind.
From sound and flexibility I didn’t see any improvement

The following is the story:

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/vst-2-4-vs-vst-3-0-who-cares-you-do/

In practice, I haven’t don’t my own testing to demonstrate any performance advantages. My presumption is the same as yours, newer specs are normally an improvement on the older specs.

THIS FROM STEINBERG ABOUT VST3:

Improved performance

Managing large plug-in sets and multiple virtual instruments on typical studio computer systems can often be difficult because of CPU performance limits. VST3 helps to improve overall performance by applying processing to plug-ins only when audio signals are present on their respective inputs. Instead of always processing input signals, VST3 plug-ins can apply their processing economically and only when it is needed.

Activating/deactivating busses

A typical issue with current virtual instruments is their audio output bussing system and how they’re connected to the mixer after loading. Especially virtual samplers with multiple outputs often occupy more mixer channels than need. The VST3 interface offers the possibility to deactivate unused busses after loading and even reactivate those when needed. This cleans up the mixer and further helps to reduce CPU load.

Sample-accurate automation

VST3 also features vastly improved parameter automation with sample accuracy and support for ‘ramped’ automation data, allowing completely accurate and rapid parameter automation changes.

Optional VST3/SKI combination

As a direct result of the modular interface design of VST3, the Steinberg Kernel Interface (SKI) can be combined with VST3 plug-ins. SKI is an additional SDK that allows extremely close integration of a plug-in with a Steinberg host application, and allows functions to be carried out almost from within the application. This extends to the ability to create tracks, copy, cut, paste or process events in the Steinberg host application. SKI is provided to selected industry partners upon request.

UTF16 for localized parameter naming

In VST3, all strings that can be displayed to the user are in Unicode (UTF16) format. Usage of this universal character base allows the host application to display characters in localized languages.

Multiple dynamic I/Os

VST3 plug-ins are no longer limited to a fixed number of inputs and outputs. Their I/O configuration can dynamically adapt to the channel configuration they’re inserted in, meaning that any VST3 plug-in can be surround-capable with true multi-channel processing. For example, all the new VST3 plug-ins in Nuendo 4 can work in stereo-mode when inserted into a stereo channel, but switch to 6 channels when inserted into a 5.1 channel. Each audio channel is processed independently. Interaction between channels depends on the type and design of the plug-in. In addition to their flexible audio bussing capabilities, VST3 plug-ins may also offer a dedicated event bus. Typically, this is a MIDI input for control/modulation but these busses are no longer restricted to MIDI standard only. Future plug-ins may replace the common MIDI interface with alternative methods of control.

Resizable edit windows

VST3 introduces a new approach to plug-in GUIs though window resizing, allowing for extremely flexible use of valuable screen space

Logical parameter organization

The plug-in parameters are displayed in a tree structure. Parameters are grouped into sections which represent the structure of the plug-in. Parameters like “Cutoff” and “Resonance” could be grouped into a section called “Filter”. This makes searching for a certain parameters easier, such as on an automation track. This also allows assigning a group of parameters to a specific MIDI Channel input and audio output bus.

VSTXML for remote controllers

Remote controllers for audio and MIDI software applications have become increasingly popular. With VSTXML, VST3 offers far more flexible control of VST plug-ins by remote controllers. Using the knobs and faders on the control surface, parameters can be recorded, renamed and edited in many ways. Parameters that cannot be edited can be routed for display purposes to the control surface, for example to show Gain Reduction on compressor.

No MIDI restriction for parameter value transfers

VST3 has a dedicated interface for event handling that carries a much wider range of functionality than standard MIDI events would be able to provide. This opens up a big range of opportunities for musical use cases with very high potential for innovative product design. For example with VST3 some controller events (for example, pitch) can be referred to a note event (using a note unique ID). This offers the possibility to e.g. modulate only a single note which itself is part of a chord.

Multiple MIDI inputs/outputs

Unlike with VST 2.x, a VST3 plug-in can have more than only one MIDI input or one MIDI output at the same time.

I would assess there are many advantages if all this holds true. — Corky

2 Likes

Thanks Corky. Really valuable information.
For a simple cover band amateur, like myself, staying on VST2 is not giving big constraints.
With C3 and maximum 3 VST per song, I don’t need multiple ins and outs.
But knowledge is essential

1 Like

SampleTank 4 version 4.1.0 is now out.

I tried the VST3 version and it still crashes Cantabile. Have to stick to VST2 for now.

Just downloaded the free version (CS) of Sampletank 4 and yes, it’s crashing every time. @brad, any thoughts about this?

Lee

Even the standalone version is crashing before it can fully open. Google search shows DAW users (e.g. Florida Studio) have also experienced crashes. Seems pretty obvious that this product was rolled out prematurely. I’m uninstalling it.

Thanks guys… I’ve looked into this and can reproduce it however I have no clue as to why it’s crashing. I’ve opened a support ticket with IK to see if I can work with one of their developers to get it resolved.

In the meantime, you might like add weight to the request by lodging your own support ticket with IK. Be sure to mention Sample Tank 4 and Cantabile.

Brad

2 Likes

Brad this may help, I found out if you leave the sampletank4 dialog open in Cantabile 3.0 Pro C3 will not crash. You can de-attach it and leave it behind Cantabile so you don’t see it. This works for VST3 and VST2.

Hi @jeffbkadin,

Thanks for the info. SampleTank compatibility is on my list to be revisited soon…

Tested tonight.

With Sampletank 4 VST3, system is always crashing, with VST2 no problem.
C3 version is last stable today (3653).
I played full night with Zenology Pro and Sampletank, no issue at all!