Corky's Guitar Amp Sim Tips and Tweaks Page šŸŽø

Compared bx_bassdude and Faceman today.

By choosing different cabs (never noticed until now they refer in bx_bassdude to the cabs as IRā€™s) and adjusting the input gain and power soak I was able to get a sound thatā€™s very similar to Faceman using bx_bassdude. Faceman responds better to playing dynamics and the cabinet IRā€™s are very good - especially the default 1x15 JBL.

UPDATE 1: I might still buy Faceman - I went through my favorite AmpliTube 5 Fender amps which are very good but thereā€™s something about Nembrini sims that just play more like a real amp.

UPDATE 2: Decided to buy it - Nembrini amp sims play the most like an amp which is how I like to play (prefer to lay tracks with just amp sound)

1 Like

Hi All,

New guitar amp sim from Neural DSP

Cheers,

Dave

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the amp YouTuber Paul Davids gigs with. Trying it now

Iā€™m really hoping Nembrini does a vintage Supro 1624T. Iā€™ve suggested it to him, and if youā€™re interested in this amp maybe contact him as well to suggest it. Maybe if he gets enough suggestions heā€™ll do it.

1 Like

Nembrini HiVolt 103 (HiWatt) thru Seacow M1960 IR variants might just be good enough to convince me to take a leap to software amps. Bought it while on sale and still messing with it, but liking it a-plenty so far. Hopefully this one doesnā€™t end up in the ā€œclose but no cigar folderā€ like so many others. Worth a listen imo if that kind of amp is in your style range.

1 Like

Hey folks - Nembrini has another one:

This time heā€™s built a Dumble virtual clone. Since the Dumble sound isnā€™t high on my priorities list (and I have the Twinkleland rig library for TH-U if I need it), I wonā€™t be buying that one, but if youā€™re after the Robben Ford, John Mayer, SRV sound, probably something to give a try.

Happy G.A.S.!

Torsten

2 Likes

This reminds me that I left my Dumble in the trunk of my Lamborghini :crazy_face: - My Klon Centaur is probably in there too.

2 Likes

Speaking of Nembrini, for anyone interested, here is my first plugin creation made specifically for use with amp sims. Works great with Nembrini sims which tend to have too much gain and too much bass as part of its ā€œcircuitā€ for my tastes, hence why I made this VST3. Itā€™s best used at the very front of the signal chain. Its purpose is similar to the original Rangemaster, but this is not an emulation of it. Itā€™s actually much more flexible, plus it lacks the biased class A output, which is mostly counterproductive with amp sims imo.

RangemasterMkIV.zip (1.7 MB)

The plugin consists of a gain block, a 3dB per octave high pass, and a 3db per octave low pass, plus value ranges limited per my testing for what is usable. First order filters are virtually non-existent in the VST world despite being the most useful for guitar, imo, so I learned Juce to build this one as a zero latency plug.

The plug can do anything from tightening the lows and eliminating ā€œfarty bassā€ to completely hollowing them out as heard in countless Brit rock songs over the decades. While it can boost up to 20dB, the real value is that it can also cut up to 20dB. If you like Fender clean tones without the ā€œfarty bassā€ and unrealistic distortion, these settings are worth a try (place the MkIV before the amp sim):

Of course remember that post gain will be needed, either in the Nembrini Cab screen or as a gain plugin.

1 Like

I just tried it out with the Nembrini DC30 (Vox AC30) for a few minutes and I like it. Cleans it up a bit without changing the character of the overdrive. I think itā€™s going to help me in the quest for the chime Iā€™m after.

Hi All,

Itā€™s been a while since I heard from Scuffham but the long awaited version 3 of S-Gear has been released with a newly added stomp pedal chain. There is only the Drive-Thru pedal at this time but more to come and you can chain multiple instances of the same pedal if you want. The pedal is much like a Tube Screamer IMO. Iā€™m looking forward to more pedal offerings but Mike goes at his own pace so weā€™ll see. :slight_smile:

Dave

3 Likes

I gave S-Gear 3 a test drive and I am very impressed by the DriveThru pedal. You can run multiple pedal slots in series or parallel. It really gave the lift you feel when you hit a solo boost pedal on a hardware setup. The developer is going to bring more pedals out including a special series that will be for the FX loop in the amp sims that will be added. If you are a user he is taking requests on pedal wishes so leave him a note at his forum if you have a favorite in mind.

1 Like

My favorite VST modeling amps are the Nembrini Bogner, AC30 and Fender Bassman emulations. I also like their pedals but their pedal organizer appears to be just an executable so when Iā€™m going to do the pedal thing I go back to AmpliTube 5 which because of last yearā€™s group buy I have every pedal.

I mostly practice bass and keyboards so havenā€™t investigated using Cantabile Racks to organize guitar amps and pedals. In AmpliTube I like that inside one VST I can quickly swap pedals in and out and re-arrange the order and then save the presets. Their amps are quite responsive, I just find the Nembrini respond even more like an amp to player dynamics.

1 Like

IK Multimedia is now applying Neural Network and AI to an upcoming Amplitube version. Sounds really good.

2 Likes

Glad you might find it usefulā€¦lol since I was in the midst of covid fog during my original post I neglected to show the entirety of the chain, so fwiw, here it is from input to output:

Capture1

Capture3 Capture7

Of course there are any number of substitutes that would work for the plugins shown. As for the Rangemaster, I used one instance to tame the lows hitting the comp and another to further tame them hitting the amp sim (hence the low gain on it since the comp settings added gain in order to drive itā€™s output). The post amp sim plugins are where a lot of the magic happens in terms of making the sim sound realistic imo. This particular setup gives a clean yet very tactile feel with a very slight breakup when pushed, very similar to a Blackface Deluxe non-reverb I used for years. Would be interesting to see othersā€™ amp sim chains.

1 Like

Thanks for the chain screenshots - gives a good explanation.

https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/archetype-rabea

Looking forward to try this one. :grin:

Overlord Synth:
Our subtractive monosynth incorporates proprietary note triggering, pitch tracking, and envelope tracking algorithms that together allow you to control the synth without the need for a keyboard or MIDI programming. Featuring two oscillators with unison options, a ladder-style filter, and a built-in arpeggiator, this intelligent device brings world-class synth sounds to the modern guitarist.

Use the pre/post switch to change the synthā€™s placement in the signal chain, allowing you to affect its signal with the other devices in the plugin.

Transpose & Doubler:
Transpose leverages our proprietary pitch shifting technology to pitch your instrument up or down.

Doubler projects your signal to a stereo field with an adjustable spread control to give richness and depth.

Many other great features too long to place here.

Regards

Corky

4 Likes

Sweeeeeeeeeeet

1 Like

And here is another new release by Nembrini for all you 80s hard rock aficionados:

2 Likes

Hi All,

New offering from Amplitube

Cheers,

Dave

2 Likes

Just gave this a spin - very nice and responsive - beside the usual Marshall staples from dirty to heavy, it has pretty usable cleans as well (and a chorus - yay!).

I would have preferred the GUI not to follow the original device so closely - wouldnā€™t hurt to have separate knobs for gain, vol, bass, middle, treble - but Iā€™ll be able to live with itā€¦

So here goes another oneā€¦

2 Likes