Corky's Guitar Amp Sim Tips and Tweaks Page šŸŽø

Used by Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Steve Lukather, and many Country artists, just to mention a few.

Thank you for the detailed review and comparison of Nembrini and Amplitube 5, Corky. It does sound tempting to jump into the Nembrini court, however iLok is a concern especially if they limit you to one computer. I need to have everything installed on both my primary and backup laptops for live performance.

1 Like

They allow 2 computersā€¦My main and backup use them. iLok is not a problem anymore. I just donā€™t like the small inconvenience of setting up license. Try the ā€œGerman 34ā€ in Amplitube, and see how it compares to the video. I donā€™t have the time to do it today, but will when I get a chance.

1 Like

Iā€™ve found the current iLok reliable and easy to use. Iā€™ve been moving licenses between machines with no problem.

2 Likes

I had a Receptor back in the day that required iLok so I got used to it. Also, Cubase has their proprietary dongle. Doesnā€™t mean I like them.

But with iLok, I use the software/virtual/cloud whatever they call it on my live machine and the hardware device on my Studio machine. The Studio machine is also live backup. So, if I do need something on a laptop, I can move the dongle without dealing with moving the license. That way Iā€™ve only used the 2 counts of license.

2 Likes

Yeah, iLok has been mostly painless in the past couple of years. My only issue is that I need three licenses (studio PC, live cube, live backup), so I always need to buy my Nembrini stuff twice :frowning:

2 Likes

I am so glad Acoustic Samples allows 3 licenses. At least, Nembrini is fairly inexpensive on their new plugs promotions. Hoping to try this out before I gig tonight.

1 Like

Iā€™m curious if a Rhodes or Wurli vst would sound good through it. Might have to check out the demo.

• Paul
2 Likes

This article helped me learn about the Bogner Ecstasy 101B:

Everything from clean Fender to hot-rodded Marshall

1 Like

Yesā€¦it has a plexi setting.

I recently made a sim purchase with ML Sound Labs. I previously used a few of their cab IRā€™s, and decided to try the amp sims. These are using neural network technology, just like Neural DSP, Nembrini, and Mercuriall. Really digging these sims as well.

Hello all, new user here, after some advice. My main usage is making a noise in the spare room, never gigged, never likely to.
Iā€™ve been setting up a rig for ambient guitar, and have tried a few amp sims and suites.
Audio Assault do some interesting and reasonably priced rigs and occasional freebies, but they are a bit more Metal focused than I need.
Also Iā€™ve come across Tonelib GFX which is a complete suite, there are more amps than I will ever use, and I donā€™t like the reverbs. However some of the amps seem nice and there are a good range of effects, plus itā€™s cheap. So Iā€™ve been using the demo with Valhalla delays and reverbs.
Iā€™d be interested in opinions on the quality of the Tonelib GFX amps, before I drop some money on it, I havenā€™t got a frame of reference for most of them, it seems a bit cheap for what you get.
Anyone fancy downloading the demo and having a play?

Hi Fraser-P, and welcome to the forum.

Since the amp sim move to Neural Networks A.I. Technology, Iā€™ve left the others. Neural DSP plugins are amazing. I can tweak the Gojira to play multiple styles. As far as making a beautiful ambient sound, everything you need is within the plugin.
ML Sound Labs, Mercuriall, Nembrini, Kazrog, and Softube are using the new technology. Others, such as, Overloud TH-U, Amplitube, Bias, and Helix are moving in that direction. I donā€™t know if Tonelib GFX has migrated yet, but most everyone in this business already has, or is working on upgrading their technology. I personally didnā€™t like the Tonelib plugs when I tried them, but it has been awhile.
Guitar tone is only in the ear of the player. We all differ in what we want to hear and how to achieve it. It would be worth the effort to listen to other sims, and try some demos before you buy. I always demo a product if available, and watch unpaid video trials, before I buy. I have been very disappointed in the past by purchasing junk. Also beware the developer business model, which can be very invasive to your computer.

Regards

Corky

Thanks for the reply Corky, the lack of Youtube trials was one of the reasons I held off on the Tonelib GFX.
I hadnā€™t looked at the Neural DSP plugins before, my eye has been caught by the Tim Henson one. Iā€™ll see if my ears are too.
The whole site is a rabbit hole.
Actually I foresee a few weeks going through all the demos.
Should finish in time for Black Friday or the like.

Cheers again

Fraser

1 Like

I thoroughly test the Nembrini BG Extasy but didnā€™t buy it for $41 even though I thought it might substitute for other Fender and Marshall sims Iā€™m using and happy with. I did seem more ā€œplayableā€ (better response to playing dynamics) than ones Iā€™m using. Iā€™m curious if anyone bought it and if so how itā€™s working for them.

Doug

I bought it and really love it. It does it allā€¦beautiful cleans, great tube breakup, and killer thrashing. I am slowly working it into my set lists.

BTWā€¦I just got email from Nembrini about a Halloween sale, but havenā€™t checked out yet.

2 Likes

I recently got their Black Distortion Pedal (itā€™s free) and love it. I donā€™t have a guitar, but have put all sorts of other stuff through it, including hammond and rhodes plugs.

1 Like

Ahhhā€¦the ā€œRatā€. Iā€™ve always wanted one, but now I have it in my racks. Killer pedal!!

If anyone is interestedā€¦

Black November sale at ML Sound Lab. Everything 50% off.

Backstory: I gave my new lead guitarist my old gig-PC and a Behringer UMC404 to sell him on the idea that sim-amp is better than his Fender-something amp with built-in effects/simulators.

Heā€™s freshman at college, and doesnā€™t have much time to try & listen dozens of demos, so Iā€™d like to direct him to the most versatile and good sounding plug.

After reading the whole thread, Iā€™m a bit confused. My question: better single plugins, (Neural DSPā€¦), or suites (Guitar Rig, BiasX, Helix, THUā€¦)?