Corky's Guitar Amp Sim Tips and Tweaks Page šŸŽø

On Sale for $39 (regular $137) until July 4th.

2 Likes

Quick update: Iā€™ve cleaned house on my live amp sims - and Iā€™ve consolidated everything on TH-U.

Iā€™ve played with its amp capturing capabilities and found a couple of pretty nice amp captures that cover most of my bases - fender twin, marshal silver jubilee, boogie IIc and boogie tweed. Add to this the flexibility in creating complex setups and seamless scene switching, Iā€™ve been able to cover all of my guitar songs in TH-U nicely.

One twist: I donā€™t use the speaker part of the amp captures - I play everything through the same cab (the Framus Cobra - I like 25W Greenbacks) - gives everything a common ā€œflavorā€. Also, it makes it far easier to pick a fitting amp capture from the hundreds in the librariesā€¦

Definitely worth trying!

Still eagerly waiting for Igor Nembrini to release his take on a Fender Twin, though :wink:

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

Hi Torsten,

Just curious if you tried his new Acoustic simulator box, it looks interesting but I havenā€™t tried out. Any feedback welcome ā€¦

Cheers,

Dave

Iā€™ve been loving TH-U for quite some time. Still use it in my current rig. I did however, put a lot of time into the Neural DSP Gojira. I now have a good handle on it, and I am able to go from beautiful clean, to tube breakup, to ZZ Top fuzzy just by increasing my guitar volume knob. Although, I think the Neural version of the SolDano Slo-100 would fit all my needs, when Iā€™m able to fill my wallet again.

I purchased it a few days ago, but I have not yet put it in my system. Will let you knowā€¦maybe add a few examples. Nembrini likes meā€¦they have all my cash, I have all their products. Downloaded their BST 100 (SolDano), but havenā€™t tried it yet. Rehearsals and gigs are killing all my free timeā€¦not complaining thoā€¦itā€™s been a long time coming.

Havenā€™t tried it yet, but I use a similar principle in my acoustics setup: I have a couple of impulse responses from a Martin D45 and a Taylor 610E from 3Sigma. I load these into THUā€™s SuperCabinet, and they transform my piezo acoustic signal into something more beefy and natural - sounds really nice!

As I understand, Igorā€™s plugin is based on a similar principle - itā€™s not really a classic ā€œacoustic simulatorā€ that turns an electric guitar signal into an approximation of an acoustic (as the one contained within TH-U that I use on some songs). Rather, itā€™s an ā€œacoustic beautifierā€ - it takes a signal from a typical piezo-equipped acoustic guitar and transforms it, so it sounds as if it was recorded from a great acoustic guitar with a microphone. Beyond this, Igor gives us all the typical tools to process that signal; definitely a nice toolkit for piezoā€™d guitars.

For live use, Iā€™m good with what I can do with my impulses and the THU tool arsenal, but for recording purposes, Iā€™d definitely consider it.

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

That sounds like the magic sauce I might have been looking for to put my Variax acoustic sounds over the top. Theyā€™re just not what I would have hoped out of the box; the thing needs a lot of work.

Not sure if thatā€™s the sweet spot - the Variax sounds are supposed to sound like a micā€™d guitar (you can even ā€œmove the micā€ with the tone control), so an impulse aimed at piezo sounds may not give you the same mileage as with a true piezo sound. But definitely worth trying - the 3Sigma impulse response packs get you a wide variety of options, so some experimenting is definitely worth it:

grafik

Hereā€™s a quick one I wanted to share with you guys: Iā€™ve come to really appreciate TH-Uā€™s ability to quickly switch scenes (individual effects switched on or off) without having to change a patch. Iā€™ve even built a couple of setups using multiple amps (e.g. clean and high gain), with only one of the amps turned on in different scenes. Really nice with instant sound changes without silence gaps.

Add to this Cantabileā€™s routing per song state (routing the signal from TH-U to different delay/reverb racks for verse, chorus, lead), and you have endless possibilities with seamless switching, without reverb/delay trails being cut off.

Now to switch scenes, I built a little utility rack ā€œTHU Scene Selectā€ that simply sends different program changes to the TH-U rack for each of its rack states. Now set that rackā€™s state behavior to ā€œselected rack stateā€, and you can easily select the TH-U scene on the routing page without having to fiddle with ā€œsong state->on loadā€ bindings.

The rack simply contains one binding with state-dependent target:

Now all you need to do is teach TH-U to switch scenes on these program changes:

Simple, but super-efficient :wink:

Cheers,

Torsten

2 Likes

@dave_dore

Ok. So I finally put the Acoustic Voice in my system. I thought it was just some rooms, echos, and ambienceā€¦not so. It has a tremendous menu of settings from EQ, Mic Position, Acoustic Guitar simulator, and many more. It really sounds good. All I could do today was test the presets, so I didnā€™t really dig deep into it. However, I made two recordings, just to start with.

Disregard the lack of perfection from my performanceā€¦ :roll_eyes:

The 1st recording was made with a cheap acoustic (with inner mic) I have, with dead strings . I used a modeled Martin guitar (within the plug).
The 2nd recording was made with my Japanese Strat (new strings), and used a modeled Taylor Guitar (also in the plug).

I will eventually go deeper into this plug as time allows.

Regards

Corky

3 Likes

Thanks to @Torsten and @Corky for the thoughts and samples of the Acoustic plugin from Nembrini. Also thanks for the tip about TH-U for doing Acoustic Guitar treatments. All very useful and it has giving me some things to explore deeper! :grinning: :+1:

Dave

2 Likes

The Variax acoustic sounds are supposed to sound like a miced guitar-but they donā€™t :sweat_smile: although itā€™s true they donā€™t exactly sound like a DI sound either. Theyā€™re weird. Very weird. I have never achieved the sound Iā€™ve heard others get with it.

I prefer the acoustic modelling in my Boss SY1000/GK3 on a Strat combo; much better than the Variax 500 I have.

Neural DSPā€™s newest plug:
https://neuraldsp.com/plugins/archetype-tim-henson

Gaaah - Nembriniā€™s released another sim:

Now do I need another Extasy sim - I already have the Mercuriall Euphoria :thinking:ā€¦

Reduced to $39 until Sept 19th.

Cheers,

Torsten

1 Like

Got an email on it this morning, but havenā€™t had time to check it out

This is modeled on the Bogner Ecstasy, and is meant to be a ā€œSwiss army knifeā€ ampā€¦from great cleans to filthy metal. I have all their products, so I will most likely get this as well.

2 Likes

How do the Nembrini amp sims compare to Amplitube 5? I just picked up a bunch of Amplitube collections in the IKM group buy, but the new Bogner sim has me rethinking which platform to use. Nembrini has some attractive bundle pricing that is comparable to Amplitube.

Hi Bruce

Nembrini, Neural DSP, GL, Mercuriall, and Softube all use artificial intelligence and neural networking to precisely nail modded amps and pedals. Amplitube, and others, just started using the technology in version 5, so they are new to the game. Amplitube 5 is far superior to Amplitube 4.
I was shocked when I first played thru the Amplitube 5 default (a Marshall amp). A huge difference from 4.

IMHO, Nembrini, Mercuriall, and Neural DSP are far ahead of the others, mainly because theyā€™ve been using this technology for sometime now. The beauty of this technology is they can perfectly reproduce the modded gear of the major guitar slingersā€¦something us normal people have no access to. Amplitube pedals were also upgraded to the new technology.

When I first played, and held, a power chord using Neural DSPā€™s Gojira, it never faded away after 3 minutes. Great cleans, amazing tube breakup crunch, and non-muddy metal. It is my current favorite.

I know no guitarists who have, or have played thru a high-end amp like Bogner, Soldano, or a $35,000 Dumble. Now we all can play thru them. TH-U has a Dumble (called Tumble) and it is amazing.

I use many different amp sims, but as of late, Iā€™ve reduced the load, and only use a few, which I have in racks for easy access. I NEVER use factory presets, although they give me a good starting point to dialing in what I want. Amplitube 5 has so many amps, cabinets, and fx. It makes it easy to dial in a tone, so you really canā€™t go wrong with it. I will eventually share my racks in this thread, but gigging and rehearsals has delayed the many things I planned to do.

The good thing about the Nembrini Euphoria isā€¦you can download a free version to test it out for yourself. And, at $39, it is quite a good deal. It comes with 6 Cabs and an IR loader, many mics and positions, and the cleaner/noise gate is really nice. There is a reason I have all their plugsā€¦quality and price (I am still waiting on my endorsement deal, lol). There are also free pedals,fx and utilities for download. The bad part for meā€¦iLok, but at least it is manageable now.

Cheers

Corky

BTWā€¦Amplitube has a Euphoria called ā€œGerman 34ā€, but I havenā€™t tried it yet. Just bought the Nembrini. Now, I have to find time to try it.

I never looked into Bogner amps even though one is in the corner of the studio room we use at Euphoria Studios in NYC. I listened to the first video Corky posted and thought, that must be the amp Steve Vai uses! This is tempting, I like the versatility I was hearing in the demos. Downloading now.

1 Like