Corky’s VST Organ Tips and Tweaks Page 🎹

:laughing:

Cool…would love to hear it!

And I didn’t think I was particularly good LOL luckily I have massive editing skills :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

Here’s where I’m at so far… lots to fix but it’s a start. The idea was to add the keys and go a wee bit heavy ala early Black Sabbath (because that’s what the rest of the album is; stoner/doom)

4 Likes

Great job Fred! I haven’t heard that song in years. The only thing I would change would be the guitars in the 1st part of the song. They need more distortion like you did in the 2nd part. They sounded much better and more gutsy. Your leads are really good. Other than that, I liked it very much. Were you using B-3X? Thanks for sharing.

Plus I think what you’re really hearing is the pitch stretching in the 1st third of the song to fix my slow tempo. The guitar on the second half of the song isn’t any different tone-wise but it hasn’t been screwed around with with pitch shifting so it’s not artifacting.

DAMMIT! I’m going to have to play it again, aren’t I?

2 Likes

I figured as much. :wink:

Let me know when you revise it.

1 Like

I know that feeling. That’s how I lost all my hair.

2 Likes

Well, it was worth it, I played it better. I’m actually getting my pinky finger to work! In my mind now it sounds like it would have sounded if they recorded it in '73 and not '70.

Next: can I sing it.

4 Likes

AHH! Much better.

Yes you can Bob The Builder!

1 Like

It sounds great!! I enjoyed listening the song!

Do you have any other similar recordings?

Ramon

1 Like

Thanks. Dammit, it still feels draggy to me, and not in a good way. They had the right tempo all along :expressionless::crazy_face:
I’m working on a whole Sabbath-y album, I’ll post something when it’s getting ready…

1 Like

Sounds great to me, always loved that whole album

I think it has to do with pocket more than tempo. Take the pocket forward and it probably works fine at that tempo. jmo of course. Liking where it is going, I had forgotten that tune and its fun to see someone cover it!

1 Like

:thinking:

No click track back then. Maybe subtle tempo variations throughout. Try humanizing it and see if that helps.

It’s already doing that. There’s no constant tempo except the first verse where that was the easiest way to fix it.

1 Like

Not sure if it’s do-able but I wanted to do the old long version of Whiter Shade and the tempo varied upward as the song went. I really want to have that tempo variation so I used Celemony Melodyne to tempo map the original cut. I transferred that tempo map into Studio One and went from there. A bit of extra work but it sounded like you were looking for that level of closeness to the original.

1 Like

With the extra, rarely known, verse?

No, it was the full recording of the radio release circa 1966. The radio play version faded out after the third reprise while playing the front of the signature lick but the full length version had another extra reprise and a baroque outro. radio play was 4 min and change and the full length was 6 min and change. I have seen the lyrics but never have heard the rarely known verse. In fact if I recall there are even more verses in the song than one that didn’t get popularized. The last version he did live was more like your arrangement with a piano front end and the B3 kicking in after the verses I think. well done I might add :slight_smile:

1 Like

turned out to be 2 extra verses :grin: